SlotForum banner
261 - 280 of 617 Posts

·
Registered
9,286 Posts
Discussion Starter · #270 ·
Nimrod

I've drivelled on ad nauseam about the Spyder you've posted above. For me the nosecone is everything because, when it came along for auction, relatively recently, it added to a jigsaw I've tried to complete for years.

The nosecone was/is from the Le Mans, 1971, polesitter. This car was the original Porsche to bear the chassis number, 917-043 - now 'worn' by the 'Psychedelic' longtail that finished in second overall at Le Mans, 1970.

The destruction and subsequent 'redistribution' of the original -043 is to me, the greatest piece of lamentable butchery in the history of motor racing, and those responsible, should be thoroughly ashamed of themselves.

Jus' sayin' - as usual.

·
Registered
9,286 Posts
Discussion Starter · #273 ·
Michael

The car you've posted above (along with other Porsches of its ilk), was built for the European Mountain Championship. Venues included the great alpine passes comprising a single-track series of tight hairpin bends up to heights of some 10,000ft above sea level.

It was of fundamental importance that drivers could accurately pin-point the cars into, and out of, the very sharp bends, which is why the nosecones were short and stubby. The Porsche 909 is probably the best example of this practice.

Having driven these passes, I take my hat off to all the people who competed in Mountainclimbing, especially the pre War chaps who, in the case of those employed by Auto-Union and Mercedes, had to wrestle with such a surfeit of engine power.

Brave men, indeed, who captured my imagination as a boy. Still do, too.

·
Registered
9,286 Posts
Discussion Starter · #279 ·
My 911 by MRRC complete with 🦆 ducktail spoiler and Fuchs' wheels. When Butzi Porsche first saw the ducktail, he was horrified by its appearance and asked: "WHAT have you done to MY car?"

For what it's worth, I rather like it.
Wheel Tire Car Vehicle Land vehicle

261 - 280 of 617 Posts