SlotForum banner
421 - 440 of 895 Posts

·
Tore
1,822 Posts
Not slot or racing related, but visited a friend's workshop some time ago and he had a 356 raw bodyshell in for extensive rust repairs, but there was something off with the body. He was reluctant to to answer anything about it, but it was the top one below:
Car Tire Wheel Vehicle Land vehicle

The bottom one is a regular coupe, but can't for the life of me remember what the top one was called...

·
Registered
10,447 Posts
Discussion Starter · #423 ·

The car in the top picture is a cabriolet fitted with the optional hardtop. I can't see the photo too well, but that example looks like one of the units made by Karmann of Osnabruck.

·
Registered
10,447 Posts
Discussion Starter · #425 ·
A beautiful 906, Matthew. Driven by Guenther Klass and Rolf Stommelen it finished 7th overall at Le Mans, 1966, but was lucky to finish at all after Guenther Klass almost ran out of petrol at one stage. Happily, he crawled back to the pits to be hastily replenished.

·
Registered
2,363 Posts
Snap, Matthew. Here's my '98 Evo road car but, of course, its wing mirrors are missing having led a hard life. View attachment 285303
Nothing like a nice car with battle scars, 😉

I usually don’t worry too much about mirrors, only fix the wing if it’s ripped on a race, fact I love the trade paint marks on the bodies…

·
Registered
10,447 Posts
Discussion Starter · #428 ·
A good point, Daniel. I've always enjoyed seeing travel-stained cars after a race, especially the Mercs at the end of Le Mans, 1989.

You might recall that the two leading cars were asked to pit close to the end. When stationary, mechanics wiped away the grime from the star motifs near the leading edge of the nosecones so that they stood out for the photo finish.

A nice piece of automotive theatre that we all enjoyed.

·
Registered
10,447 Posts
Discussion Starter · #429 ·
PS

Shortly after the Mercs won Le Mans, 1989, I had to go to Stuttgart for my version of work. One evening some chums from Porsche and I went into town to a bar, where motor racing folk regularly go to the trough, and imbibe their fill of ethanol.

On a large building opposite the bar, there was a works' C9 mounted vertically on a wall protected by an enormous Perspex case - an expensive work of craft in itself.

I took photos of it but what happened to them is anyone's guess.

Jus' sayin'.

·
Registered
2,363 Posts
Good anecdote/story! 👏🏼👏🏼👏🏼

·
Registered
10,447 Posts
Discussion Starter · #433 ·
Matthew

That C9 certainly is still in existence. In Stuttgart Mercedes have mind-boggling collections of 'everything'. Apart from all the cars their (private) motoring library is shattering. You could spend a lifetime there and it still wouldn't be long enough to have read everything.

Much the same situation at Porsche. I've always left the archive department in search of Ibuprofen and Scotch.

NB My Scotch that I paid for. Uncle Bonkers, keep your hands to yerself!

·
Registered
10,447 Posts
Discussion Starter · #435 ·
I will try to look it up for you later, Matthew. I've probably got a little info on the car buried somewhere.

·
Registered
2,188 Posts
perhaps guide Uncle Bonkers to the nearest off licence with subtle hints of "this is your wallet, you can exchange the fancy paper in it for Scotch, brandy and port."

·
Registered
811 Posts
This is a Fly Porsche 917K in Gulf livery. I bought this car unboxed and a quick Internet search has provided no information of the 1:1 car with this racing number.
Desconozco el tema de este tipo de coches, pero un búsqueda rápida me ha dado este resultado.
¿24 horas de Spa 1970. Siffert?

I do not know the subject of this type of car, but a quick search has given me this result.
24 hours of Spa 1970. Siffert?

Frederic

·
Registered
1,426 Posts
What a classic sports car season was 1970! See how everyone is hanging back waiting for the accident as Pedro Rodriguez and Jo Siffert bang wheels on the first lap going into Eau Rouge!
Mike

421 - 440 of 895 Posts