SlotForum banner
881 - 900 of 1354 Posts

·
Registered
1,625 Posts
Daytona, 1968. A Porsche walkover. View attachment 293320
They did well, considering they were running in the 3 litre class with 2.2 litre engines, but the Gulf GT40s were much faster (2.5 sec per lap in qualifying) before they broke and there wasn’t much other opposition. A Trans Am Mustang came 4th! Motor Sport called it ‘a dull start to the season’.
Mike

·
Registered
12,153 Posts
Discussion Starter · #886 ·
GT40s with more than double the cubic capacity. Admittedly, they were production pushrod engines in the Fords.

Incidentally, Michael Tee of Motor Sport also described Le Mans, 1971, as dull. Quite which planet he was on is anyone's guess.

·
Registered
12,153 Posts
Discussion Starter · #892 ·
For those interested in HO gauge slot cars, Hot Wheels make a rather nice range of longtail 917s. I know nothing of this slotting scale, and can only guess that these die-casts can be converted into slot cars. Jus' sayin'.

·
Premium Member
3,646 Posts
Have I said I don't like most Porsche cars 😁 ?. Having said that a few time now I have acquired a few more Porsche 911 kits with three of these arriving from japan yesterday,

Automotive parking light Wheel Car Tire Land vehicle

Think I've now got all the 911S cars I need for Le Mans '66 and '67.

On a whim I also bought this Porsche kit

Car Automotive parking light Wheel Vehicle Tire

Now I don't know one Porsche 911 model from the next but on the side of the box it says '63 Porsche Turbo which I assume is completely wrong:unsure::oops:.

Looks like I will be ordering some more decals from Le Mans Decals😁. Unlike the LS 911 kit I received a week or so ago which as some moulding flow lines in the plastic, on the roof, these seem to be very nice white plastic mouldings and I could be tempted to leave them unpainted, as all three will be white cars, and just apply the decals and clearcoat:unsure:, at least I wouldn't have to wait for some descent weather to arrive😄.

PS, I think I've identified the Porsche Turbo year and model but any help from the experts would be much appreciated😉

·
Registered
12,153 Posts
Discussion Starter · #894 ·
Keith

The earliest 930 (911 turbo) was 1975. The first production 911s were ready in 1964, so 1963 is wrong. As an aside, production of the 911 was delayed slightly because Porsche were using Stuttgart factory floor space for the 904, which took precedence.

·
Registered
1,691 Posts
The interesting thing is the early 911s weren't, bit if a hoo ha with Peugeot over numbering with a zero in the middle.
Many moons later Edward Jordan had a hoo ha with Porsche, the new F1 Jordan was badged 911, that changed to 191 after discussions, don't know how many readies ,if any changed hands, but Eddie did get a new roadgoing 911 out if it.

881 - 900 of 1354 Posts