SlotForum banner
1,341 - 1,360 of 3,318 Posts
Discussion starter · #1,341 ·
A picture taken by Jenks from the tiny passenger seat of a works' 917 on the occasion he was chauffeured around the Weissach test track by Porsche's ace test driver and development engineer, Hubert Mimmler.
Font Automotive tire Automotive design Monochrome photography Monochrome

Ran some timed laps today. Very quiet and smooth, quick on the straights an tippy in the corners. Weight is 63gm which is quite light compared to similar cars. The MRRC with the brass chassis is74gm. Lap times comparable so with some lead low and lateral it should compete well against my other early 60’s cars.
View attachment 304716 View attachment 304717
Don’t know how I missed this as Porsche 904s are my favorite. 2 of my inclines are 88.9 and 93 grams on brass chassis. The other 2 are 75 and 78 grams also on brass chassis but with Area71 bodies.

Discussion starter · #1,343 ·
Italian engineer Valerio Colotti (of gearbox fame) and Jenks were about the same height - normal height according to Jenks - and are seen here outside Gear Speed Developments. The company was started by Colotti and Stirling Moss's faithful mechanic, Alf Francis.

Valerie also designed the chassis for Jean Behra's F2 Porsche that started life as an RSK sports car.
Standing Black-and-white Gesture Grey Style

Discussion starter · #1,346 ·
AngloCanadian

Thanks for the post above. The red jumper Jenks is wearing was popular in the 1960s and is identical to the one often worn by Dan Gurney when he drove the 804 GP car.

Things have changed since in F1, eh?

Discussion starter · #1,356 ·
A Gaydon purchase, I find myself in possession of yet another '69 917LH. Few would ever agree but I've regarded these original 917s as being among the most beautiful sports racing cars of all time. A landmark milestone car, it was certainly beleaguered by teething problems, but changed sports car thinking for all time.
Font Publication Newspaper Advertising Logo
Automotive design Hood Newspaper Toy Automotive exterior

1,341 - 1,360 of 3,318 Posts