SlotForum banner
1361 - 1380 of 1751 Posts

·
Registered
4,016 Posts
I went to Gaydon yesterday with no thought of buying any more Porsche's then I came across the little, 1/40th scale, Jouef Porsche 904GT with just about perfect tempo printing and at a price I would happily pay for a standard version and so it began...

Vehicle Truck Car Hood Toy

Blue Font Material property Toy Gadget

Strombecker twin pack with Porsche 906 Carrera 6 and a Ford J car

Car Tire Vehicle Wheel Hood

Wheel Vehicle Product Motor vehicle Automotive tire

Then I found this 910 fitted with a PCS chassis and a magnet, strong enough to change the position of the earth poles, that will have to go.
Vehicle Car Automotive design Tire Classic car

Who can resist a 917K

Wheel Vehicle Car Toy Automotive design

NSR, the missing, in the photo, rear moulding is in the box.

Just to cap it all off when I got home yesterday evening sitting on the door mat was my latest Corgi Collectors Club model

Wheel Tire Car Vehicle Motor vehicle

·
Registered
13,919 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1,364 ·
The 917LH I bought yesterday has a standard Fly chassis and running gear, which is why the first port of call is the pits to change tyres. Out go the standard Fly boots to be replaced by Wasp 'urethanes. The magnet will have to be drilled out from underneath, as the two halves of the chassispan have been superglued together, trapping the mag between the two.

Just got a feeling this car is going to perform well. I'm probably one of the few who continue to regard Fly's products highly.
Tire Wheel Vehicle Automotive tire Automotive design
Circuit component Passive circuit component Automotive design Table Eyewear
Wheel Tire Car Vehicle Motor vehicle

·
Registered
13,919 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1,367 ·
Maiden laps for the 906 'smorn have led to an unexpected feeling of, almost, wellbeing. Without any need for fettling, adjustment or abuse, it goes extremely well, which was a surprise in view of its weight and rear overhanging tail. Another rather wonderful slot car for racing on the Mess this Thursday.
Tire Wheel Vehicle Car Hood
Car Vehicle Automotive lighting Hood Motor vehicle
Tire Car Vehicle Wheel Automotive tire

·
Registered
13,919 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1,368 ·
En route to my scratcher last evening, I heard a grumbling rumbling. Mrs Grumpy asked: "What did you buy at Gaydon?"

On the grounds that no sane mortal would ever provide damning evidence - of anything - I feigned deafness, and continued my short journey. Sleep can be a great healer, as can an acute hearing problem.

A few daubings prior to my noon appointment with semi-consciousness, and glue dries on my new Beetle build.
Hood Motor vehicle Car Paint Automotive design
Automotive parking light Vehicle Car Hood Wheel
Wheel Tire Vehicle Car Automotive design
Paint Art Wood Rectangle Painting

·
Registered
13,919 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1,376 ·
1971 was a vintage year because Jackie Oliver got the lap record that stood until recently, the winning 917 of Marko/van Lennep drove a record distance (also only broken recently), and...

...the Rodriguez/Oliver polesitting 917 (043) holds the record for the top speed down Mulsanne at 252mph. The French refused to mark this as a record, and waited until 1989 to record a Peugeot scoring a top speed of 250mph. Shortly after reaching this velocity, the Peugeot fizzled out in a wheeze of smoke and steam.

For me, 1971 remains as the zenith of sports car racing, and many other achievements. The Internet was also invented in 1971.
Automotive tail & brake light Vehicle registration plate Automotive tire Automotive parking light Automotive lighting

·
Registered
4,016 Posts
Depends on what you call vintage, does setting a heap of records make for a vintage year or are the vintage years the ones with lots of different teams racing for the win with lots of challenges and changes for the lead and other positions.
Le Mans shouldn't just be about being the fastest but being the most reliable and quick, it always seems to me that some drivers and teams seem to forget that fact. Before it just became another endurance race Le mans was run as a showcase of car reliability, it took Ford three years to learn that flat out speed guaranties nothing at le Mans and reliability is the most important thing.

·
Registered
13,919 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1,379 ·
In 1971, the fastest and most reliable car was the winning 917, which is why it travelled some 3,300 miles in 24 hours. In 1927, Charles Lindbergh flew across the Atlantic covering the same distance as Helmut/Marko, except that the aeroplane flight took 33.5 hours.

Le Mans is about speed and reliability which is precisely why 1971 was a vintage year.

·
Registered
2,034 Posts
Be interesting to see the liveries of the two factory RSRs #91and #92 when they attend scrutineering at the weekend, it's expected they are tribute liveries this time.
When I get to the circuit Wednesday lunch time, the Porsche shop in the retail village is usually first port of call.

1361 - 1380 of 1751 Posts