SlotForum banner
141 - 160 of 1577 Posts

·
Registered
Collect and race Strombecker primarily, but have other makes, too.
207 Posts
LOVELY picture, Trish!

SO much to see in it. The Abarth, Sunbeam, Berlinetta, a BREADVAN, P class Ferrari's, etc. Then there's the background: The signage, Dunlop bridge, and more. Wow.

I've saved that picture to my "Prototype Race Cars" folder as another visual example of racing during that era. Thanks for posting it!

Abarth:

The resin project is looking very nice.

I've never built a resin car (it would seem to me that it would be very hard to get a smooth finish on the paint), but that one would be tempting.

Andre

·
Registered
12,835 Posts
Discussion Starter · #145 ·
André

Thank you. I've read your posts with interest and encourage you to think about building cars with resin bodies. Most are of such high quality nowadays that painting them is easy.

No shortage of advice and information on the Forum about scratch- or kit-building.

It's an excellent way of building a slot paddock that volume manufacturers can't cater for.

·
Registered
Collect and race Strombecker primarily, but have other makes, too.
207 Posts
Hi Trish!

Thanks for your encouragement. (Enabling? :ROFLMAO: )

I do have a couple of resin cars among the trays of my oval car stash, a 1957 Ford and a 64 Chevelle:

Hood Building Flooring Composite material Gas

These two resins were going to be built to support my digital "dirt oval" concept of several years ago that faltered to a stop. At the time, I figured being dirt cars, and the way their prototype inspirations lived a rough and tumble life, if my paint finishes didn't turn out nice and smooth, well, no biggie.

I do think you are quite correct: If one wants to venture out of the norm, resin is a viable option. Resin opens up a whole new world of car bodies for my 1950s - early 1960s era span for road and GP racing.

Andre

·
Registered
875 Posts
¿Sabíais que cuando apareció la primera unidad el Porche 911, se llamaba 901? Era un 901 de seis cilindros y el 902 llevaba cuatro.
Pero apareció Peugeot reclamando que poseía los derechos legales de todas las secuencias de números de tres dígitos con un cero en medio en Francia.
Porsche cambió el "0" por el "1" y así apareció en 1964 la leyenda del 911.
Como a veces ocurre, buscas una cosa y encuentras otra, como este artículo con muchas curiosidades sobre los diferentes nombres y sufijos de los vehículos Porsche
AQUI.

Did you know that when the first unit appeared, the Porche 911, it was called 901? It was a six-cylinder 901 and the 902 had four.
But Peugeot appeared claiming that he owned the legal rights to all three-digit number sequences with a zero in the middle in France.
Porsche changed the "0" to "1" and thus the legend of the 911 appeared in 1964.
As sometimes happens, you look for one thing and find another, like this article with many curiosities about the different names and suffixes of Porsche vehicles HERE.

·
Registered
12,835 Posts
Discussion Starter · #150 ·
Yes, we know, Frederic, but thank you. Another twist for you. The car that became the 911 wasn't actually Porsche's 901st design, either.

When Prof Porsche established his design office at the beginning of 1931, he numbered his first work as 007 to give potential customers the idea that he was terribly busy.

The 901 is, therefore, more accurately the Porsche 894.

·
Registered
288 Posts
I learned to drive in a Mini pickup belonging to my Dad's small industrial painting company with the number 6 on the side, however 1 through 5 did not exist.

Rob

Pictures of Porsche slot cars to follow fairly soon.

·
Registered
1,853 Posts
As well as the story of Peugeot being upset by the 911s original moniker, so was Porsche many years later when one Eddie Jordan started his F1 team.
What became the 191 was initially called the 911, discussions with Eddie led to the change to 191, think Eddie was given a new 911 for his troubles.
Jordan grand prix really only got off the ground due to Michael Jackson copious use of hair spray.
Eddie had been tipped off Pepsi had a big bag of sponsorship money, he had a promising meeting but the budget was allocated for a Pepsi sponsored tour and a pepsi commercial, both featuring Michael.
Shooting the commercial, some pyrotechnics went astray and landed in Michael's heavily sculptured and lacquered hair.
Cancelling the tour due to the injuries, Pepsi still had a big bag on sponsorship money, it ended up in Eddie's pocket to feature another pepsi brand 7 up, now Sprite I think.
The green livery led to sponsorship from Ireland and Fuji film, Eddie had been courting Kodak to no avail, it was they who suggested Fuji.
Think the 191 just looked right, Mick Schumacher had a whizz around Silverstone in it a few weeks ago filmed by Sky, it was of course the car that launched Michael's story.
Still give my old SCX 191 a run around the track occasionally.

·
Registered
12,835 Posts
Discussion Starter · #156 ·
More treasure in a box

Thanks to Frogeye's masterly skill this fabulous resin body can now be built into Porsche's first Le Mans car. An alloy-bodied car made at the old sawmill in Gmund, Austria, it was driven to victory in the 1100cc class by Auguste Vueillet and Edmond Mouche in 1951.

The 1,086cc twin-carburettor flat-4 developed just 46bhp, which was good enough to propel the car to 100mph down the Mulsanne straight.

Porsche left the front bumper on because it was discovered to aid stability at high speed.

Another gap plugged in my collection. Thank you, Michael!
Car Vehicle Land vehicle Motor vehicle Wheel
Vehicle Wheel Car Motor vehicle Tire
Car Tire Land vehicle Vehicle Sky
Toy Hood Car Automotive exterior Classic car
Land vehicle Vehicle Hood Car Motor vehicle
Train Window Plastic Automotive design Input device

141 - 160 of 1577 Posts