SlotForum banner
1601 - 1620 of 1880 Posts

·
Registered
3,245 Posts
Mike's point above: "Spyders make better slot cars."

The short answer is that they should be inherently better. And then there's the coupe without a roof. A compromise? View attachment 310339
Yes in slot cars spyders Should be better because of their low cog, read somewhere that in 1:1 (at least as street cars) they don’t work too good because they use more steel to reinforce the chasis and body, thus making them heavier, I suppose that back in the day of the 917 & 512 the pilots safety was not a primary goal.

·
Registered
15,146 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1,603 ·
Two interesting points you've raised, Daniel. Most cabriolet road cars were considerably heavier than their saloon counterparts because of body/chassis strengthening panels - the Beetle cabriolet is a good example - and their hoods were also heavier than a steel roof. Until recent times, the only cabriolet with a glass rear window was the Beetle Cabriolet.

The second point; a 917 today wouldn't pass any safety test I know of yet, in three hectic years, it only claimed one casualty. This was John Woolfe at Le Mans, 1969, and he'd been advised not to take the first driving stint, as he lacked experience in such a powerful car. It's also thought that he omitted to do up his seat belts in the usual attempt to make a quick get-away.

A sad chapter but these big bangers had a remarkable safety record.

·
Registered
15,146 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1,611 ·
Aha! More very exciting bodyshells from the world of 3DP. Both the dolphin-bodied 1970 longtail, and the '71 car look absolutely bang on, Paul. Will greatly look forward to seeing these cars being built. From the 1966 longtail of 1966 to -042, -043 and -045 of 1971, the Piech era Porsches are my favourite of all Le Mans cars.

Beautiful, fast, innovative and very Porsche. And slot versions! Superb.
Land vehicle Vehicle Art paint Car Hood
Tire Wheel Land vehicle Car Vehicle
Hood Paint Painting Art Automotive tire
Tire Wheel Vehicle Car Hood

·
Registered
15,146 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1,612 ·
Kurt Ahrens in the 917 bearing down on the 275LM NART Ferrari (8th overall) driven by Sam Posey at Le Mans, 1969. I recall criticism at this time of full-face crash hats, especially when worn by sports car drivers.

When they first appeared they were always referred to as Bell helmets, irrespective of manufacturer.
Tire Car Wheel Vehicle Automotive design

·
Registered
15,146 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1,620 ·
I haven't looked up the dimensions of the 1970 or 1971 longtails, Paul, but if there is a difference between the two cars it can't be very great because, of course, they shared the same chassis. The 1970 dolphin'bodied cars look slightly narrower at the front ( in width), but my perception might well be very wrong.

1601 - 1620 of 1880 Posts