SlotForum banner
1621 - 1640 of 1751 Posts

·
Registered
1,077 Posts
First print of the 1971 LH. I have to say, @nimrod444 has done a fantastic job on this model.
I integrated the wing before printing, and cut away much of the rear undertray to help the handling but the file contains all of the separate pieces and details.
Still, to have a raceable 1971 car is very very cool.
Toy Aircraft Bumper Automotive design Wood

Automotive design Automotive tire Automotive lighting Grey Automotive exterior

Wood Bumper Automotive design Automotive exterior Flooring

Automotive lighting Motor vehicle Automotive design Hood Wood

·
Registered
13,919 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1,623 ·
Another marvel of 3DP and (to me) a model that is every bit as exciting as the 1:1 emerging from moulds at Weissach 51 years ago. And what an opportunity to create all three longtails from Le Mans, 1971. Thanks for posting the photos, Paul.

Dawn has just broken here. A pleasure to emerge from my scratcher on mornings like this, even though I'm still in my Y-fronts.
Cloud Sky Paint Tree People on beach

·
Registered
13,919 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1,625 ·
History books, statistics and even truthful facts can sometimes be very misleading. Pastor Maldonado, for example, won one Grand Prix and was, by any standards, wanting and lacking, as a driver. In fact, he was among the very worst.

Mexican, Pedro Rodriguez, on the other hand, only won two Grand Prix, but was among the greatest, quickest and safest of all drivers. Had he lived Pedro would now be 82, but an accident claimed his life at the Norisring in 1971 at the age of 31. It was the year that also claimed the life of the other great Porsche and BRM driver, Jo Siffert. Neither will ever be forgotten in Porsche lore.
Tire Car Wheel Vehicle Automotive tire
Tire Car Vehicle Wheel Hood
Vehicle Car Tire Hood Automotive design
Vehicle Plant Hood Car Automotive lighting

·
Registered
13,919 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1,627 ·
Couldn't agree more, Paul. Pedro was an ace driver who fitted into Denis Jenkinson's definition of an ace. Such people are very rare and since the Wat can be counted on the fingers of two hands. I saw Pedro driving on several occasions, but his F1 career was frequently dogged by unreliable machinery.

In a 917, however...

Brands Hatch, 1970, and Le Mans, 1971, are but two examples.

·
Registered
4,016 Posts
The eBay and other UK/EU prices for the Arll kits can be a bit then more on the silly side. I tend to wait until I have a few kits I want and buy mine from HobbyLink Japan. Even with the 3-5 day delivery it can be cheaper to buy 3 or 4 kits. They also have a personal warehouse where you can store items which they keep reserved for you. No connection just like the prices and service.

·
Registered
13,919 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1,633 ·
A perfectly executed 911 Monte car, Michael. Many thanks for posting the superb photos. Love the early 911s. In all respects modern 911s are truly remarkable cars, both on and off the track, but their size and weight make them unappealing to me by comparison with Butzi's original penmanship.

·
Registered
3,064 Posts
I was watching some Videos about the Lemans winning cars and oddly the 906 doesn’t appear to have won any of the Lemans races of their time, I suppose this was because they were in a minor class with a less power than the 917 , right?

·
Registered
13,919 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1,639 ·
Daniel

The 906 was a 2-litre car developing around 208-210bhp. It didn't win LM outright, but its results at Le Mans, 1966, against the big Fords and Ferraris speak for themselves.

Of the big competitions, the 906 (the prototype) won its class at Daytona, 1966, and won the '66 Targa Florio outright. Considering it was only built for the 2-litre class, it was extraordinarily successful, and still ranks among Porsche's best ever cars.

1621 - 1640 of 1751 Posts