SlotForum banner

A Porsche thread

198K views 3K replies 91 participants last post by  OkieLand Slotter 
#1 ·
I've harboured passion for Porsche's way of doing things down many decades, and continue to marvel at the many Porsche slot cars we can buy, or build, that make our hobby such an enormously interesting pleasure.

This thread, I hope, will result in 'everything' Porsche - your models, photographs, memories and yarns. And anything else, of course.

All contributions will be of great interest, as usual, and I, therefore, thank you in advance.

A few pics below to start the ball rolling.

See less See more
#176 ·
A final few Scalextric Porsche 962's (unless/until I buy more of course), some have poor paintwork which could either be repaired or completely stripped and refinished with a new paint scheme/livery.
Depends upon finding correct decal sets as these were originally tampo printed from Scalextric not decal etc so I haven't decided yet.
Mirrors, wheel trims/ducts lights etc appear to be readily available for restoration back to original condition if finish isn't too bad but if like the Toshiba No 24 side panels/cowling, sometimes its just too far gone.

Vehicle Tire Car Toy Hood

Wheel Tire Vehicle Hood Car

Vehicle Car Wheel Tire Automotive design

Vehicle Car Wheel Automotive design Hood

Wheel Tire Vehicle Car Automotive design

#178 ·
I hope I'm not repeating myself here, if I am I'll put it down to age and being to lazy to reread the entire thread.

My love of the 917 began in 1973 when I got the Airfix kit followed by some of the other kits I have already shown. Then during the first, Autumn, tern of racing at my school club I needed a faster car and while down at Wonderland I asked Sid what he had in the way of fast 1/32nd scale cars and he showed me a Parma Womp car. I can't remember what the body was but I obviously didn't like it because I bought a 917K vac body for it. When I gave up slot racing after leaving school this was the only car I keep and it finally disappeared sometime in the 90's. This one of the cars that I have since duplicated in my current collection although the original was plain Airfix Post Office red brush applied and just the #7 and Porsche decals added.

My current Womp 917, now fitted with urethane tyres.

Then following another discovery at Wonderland I bought a WinnWagon 917/10 for use on our open night at the school club, you needed a tough car as you could get knocked off at anytime.

When I got back in to slot cars it was 1/43rd scale and so a few Jouef 917s. I believe this car is based on the original Le Mans car.

The Jouef car came in three colours, as well as the light blue and white above there is a hard to find, read expensive, dark blue. There are also three different body moulds, the difference being the shape of the front winglets, I only have two of these shapes.

Whilst still only running 1/40th and 1/43rd scale I get a couple of D-Slot 43 917Ks

These also came with a new spear Martini body.

Just to complete the small scale slot cars a coupe of Artin 917(10?) Can-Am cars

Also a couple of die-cast cars for the scenery by Brumm and Corgi.

To be continued......

#179 ·
917 part 2.....

Even though I got back into 1/32nd scale cars for some reason I didn't get a 917 slot car until last year. I did buy a built Airfix 917K kit to convert at some point and also the Matchbox 917/10 to replicate the WinnWagon as it included an extra set of L & M decals.

Then middle of last year I bought a Fly 917K and a Fly 917LH body.

Followed not long after by another Fly 917K

Then completing the circle I got a WinnWagon 917/10 which at some point will get painted as the L & M car and the Matchbox kit will get built as the Martini car.

Then this year I bought an Airfix 917K kit and an Oscar resin body kit.

Another fly 917

My final 917K for now, a Spanish Scalextric 917K

Amazing how quick they can build up 😉 :love:

#183 ·
You should try the Nsr white kits if you fancy the build & paint process, they are quite fast cars and the level of details is decent IMHO.

Im about to get a Nsr chasis and try Laurence tuning for the Flys 917s.😉
Cheers

#184 ·
GDSLOT,

The 917's are all for use on my home track so speed isn't important. If I stick with the Airfix track then I may be down grading a lot of cars to 16k motors unless once the shed is clear I go with a single lane routed layout in which case I will have to see what suits. Single lane because at home it's just me and it will same space and give a longer lap.

Laurence,

There may be some delay in building cars for home at the moment as I've started at a local club and most of my time and effort, and funds, are going into club cars at the moment, so much to learn / relearn.

#186 ·
PS

Just because I'm daft, a scratching of a 908/3. A few years ago I spent a Saturday morning in Stuttgart sketching this car before wandering through Zuffenhausen and out on to a flyover intersection on the road network.

When you're this close to the Porsche factory there's always something worth watching. I seem to recall that luncheon wasn't terribly interesting on that occasion.

Jus' sayin'.
Wheel Tire Car Vehicle Hood

#191 ·
The coupé version of the RS 718 at Le Mans, 1961, driven by Jo Bonnier and Dan Gurney. It gave up in the twenty third hour with a broken crankshaft, and was parked outside a rather nice, and typically French, shed.

Another rarity as a slot model. View attachment 281779
Laurence,
An interesting photo which very much reminds me of the "Combat Dealers" TV programme with host Bruce Crompton, travelling to France/Europe in search of all kinds of historic (WWII military) vehicles some astute Frenchman/Farmer happened to seclude in said shed or farm outbuilding when no one happened to be looking.
If pictured vehicles wherabaouts happen to be "unknown" right now, it may be worth taking a trip to France to have a rummage in the back of said shed/building if permitted to and not run off by farmer with a rusty pitchfork, as there may be a dusty gem in hiding just waiting to be found!