SlotForum banner

A Porsche thread

198K views 3K replies 91 participants last post by  OkieLand Slotter 
#1 ·
I've harboured passion for Porsche's way of doing things down many decades, and continue to marvel at the many Porsche slot cars we can buy, or build, that make our hobby such an enormously interesting pleasure.

This thread, I hope, will result in 'everything' Porsche - your models, photographs, memories and yarns. And anything else, of course.

All contributions will be of great interest, as usual, and I, therefore, thank you in advance.

A few pics below to start the ball rolling.

See less See more
#678 ·
My first 917 model was a 1969 LH

Tire Vehicle Car Asphalt Automotive tire

and I've got a few of the Jouef car

Light Automotive lighting Hood Vehicle Automotive design

and just added this to the long list waiting to go in the paint shop

Hood Rectangle Electric blue Plastic Transparent material

A Betta white plasticard model with a clear body to provide the glazing.

#683 ·
Thank you so very much for your kind comments Chappyman and Daniel. Greatly appreciated. A huge 906 would be nice, Chappyman.

Funny how motor sport gets into the blood, eh? My very much younger sister, Lottie, is just as bad. She could recite the entire history of ERA, with chassis numbers, before she was four. She once spent an entire day in conversation with Jenks about old cars. The poor old boy's head was reeling at the end of it. Unlikely but true. LOL. Nostalgia, eh!

#691 ·
As I said in my Post #667, today had an endurance Race, unfortunately the P908s that we raced did not delivered, but at least identified the errors in the set up, as the cars were too fast but lacked stability, we will return… stronger.

Hood Automotive lighting Sleeve Jersey Grille

Nevertheless Jr seized P6 out of nine drivers, being the closest finished with the P7, in the las seconds of the last hit!!!
Plant Art Red Circle Symbol

P1 was won by another Nsr 908, so it’s true, Porsche always win😀.
Cheers

#692 ·
Daniel

Please let us know about modifications to the set-up of the 908. I knew a chap a few years ago who loved NSR's cars, but frequently complained that they were difficult to get right for club racing. Everyone seems to have a different view about tuning.

Always interested to read a different opinion.

#693 ·
Daniel

Please let us know about modifications to the set-up of the 908. I knew a chap a few years ago who loved NSR's cars, but frequently complained that they were difficult to get right for club racing. Everyone seems to have a different view about tuning.

Always interested to read a different opinion.
Indeed, Nsr are hard to set up, although they are almost RTR, I’d say they are not definitely for novice hands.
These 908s are fitted with Shark 22 motors, they deliver quite more power than the new stock motors(21.5k Evo) and even more than the old stock motors (20k), the power in straight line is awesome, we could easily recover distance lost in curves and made sweat the old veterans (platinum drivers) at the Northern Club 😅

They have zero grips in the front wheels and width is to the maximum allowed by body(2mm spacers), the rear wheels are fitted with Scaleauto Sc4734 for maximum grip, gearing is 13/30 which is good for the long straights in the Noethern club and it has one big Nsr lead weight in the center of the motor mount(about 3gr guess), weight will be relocated to the guide as the car still did some wheelies hehehe.

Hope you find this useful Laurence, 😉

#694 ·
Daniel

Yes, indeed. My grateful thanks for taking so much trouble to post the above info. I always had a little bother with my NSR 917s on big club tracks. Some days they worked so well, and at other times, they were just awful. Still learning or, at least, trying to. My thanks to you again.

#695 ·
A peaceful and quiet morning and a landscape blanketed in damp, still fog. Too quiet but, Mrs Grumpy will return from Lard-Ar*e Club shortly and tranquility will be shattered once again.

There are, in my view, better ways of destroying the peace of a bucolic landscape but, of course, I'm heavily biased and saturated with prejudice.
Art paint Paint Textile Organism Painting

#700 ·
An interesting comparison today between two very different Porsches. Both have 20k motors; the longtail has an inline set-up, while the short-tail is a sidewinder. They have very different handling characteristics, and the longtail fairly leaps ahead along the straights, but lap times (if it matters) are very roughly equal.

Nice cars, great fun.
Car Tire Vehicle Automotive tire Motor vehicle
Vehicle Car Cloud Hood Automotive lighting

#701 ·
An interesting comparison today between two very different Porsches. Both have 20k motors; the longtail has an inline set-up, while the short-tail is a sidewinder. They have very different handling characteristics, and the longtail fairly leaps ahead along the straights, but lap times (if it matters) are very roughly equal.

Nice cars, great fun. View attachment 289839 View attachment 289840
I find a higher (numerical) gear ratio helps on my short home track. It improves acceleration and braking. That may be the difference between the 2 917s - it’s usually easier to change ratios on an inline, of course.
Mike

#704 ·
I don't like most Porsches but I do like the 917.

This probably just about counts as it is a 917K. This is a replica of the car I ran at my school club back in 1974/75. The chassis is a Parma Womp fitted with ureathane rear tyres and the body is from Betta. Just need to add some decals, it should be #7 but I may do it as #51.

Tire Vehicle Wheel Hood Car