SlotForum banner

A Porsche thread

197K views 3K replies 91 participants last post by  42redcat 
#1 ·
I've harboured passion for Porsche's way of doing things down many decades, and continue to marvel at the many Porsche slot cars we can buy, or build, that make our hobby such an enormously interesting pleasure.

This thread, I hope, will result in 'everything' Porsche - your models, photographs, memories and yarns. And anything else, of course.

All contributions will be of great interest, as usual, and I, therefore, thank you in advance.

A few pics below to start the ball rolling.

See less See more
#1,960 ·
Doesn’t look like much stress analysis, computer or otherwise, went into that design. It could have been far stiffer if they’d used the tubes forming the windscreen and roof more effectively.
Interesting to see the heads poking out past the windows even without seats or helmets. Just shows how small the car really was!
Mike

#1,958 ·
I have a Ninco Porsche 550...if only it was Rallied and there was proof...

Car Land vehicle Tire Vehicle Wheel

Rallye Automovilista Ibérico 1956
José Manuel Simões - Luís Borges

...sadly this car didn't finish due to a fatal accident...

Or there's this one - 1954 Tour de France - finished 8th overall

Car Vehicle Wheel Tire Hood

#1,959 ·
During the 1950s a number of Porsches were rallied during minor events that largely went unrecorded. Staff members occasionally looked for any excuse to compete in local events, while others took cars at weekends to impress their girlfriends.

This is why the first 911 test mule was painted in khaki. Ferry instinctively knew that no one would nick such an awful looking thing to impress girls.

#1,966 ·
AngloCanadian's pic above of Bob Wollek in the 917's tubular chassis is worthy of a second glance, and of much thought, for it really was a small space from which to operate proceedings in a busy and noisy office. I've always regarded sports car racing as the most exciting branch of all motor sport. For me, it naturally follows that the 917 sits at the very top of that tree.

Based on the views of experts, I've often tried to imagine what it was like to have driven one quickly, and concluded much. Just one lap of the Targa in a 917 was enough to exhaust Vic Elford. Merely watching these cars at Daytona was enough to frighten Rudi Lins, whilst Richard Attwood couldn't wait to get out of his at Le Mans, 1969.

The 917's heyday was half a century ago, but it still has the capacity to instill fear and excitement into enthusiasts like no other car. Have you got a particular favourite?
Hood Automotive tire Automotive lighting Bumper Automotive design
Tire Wheel Vehicle Hood Automotive tire
Motor vehicle Automotive lighting Automotive tire Automotive design Automotive exterior
Motor vehicle Automotive tire Paint Automotive design Art

#1,972 ·
I Love 917's and 908 Porsche's. But even still, towards the end of the Movie Le Mans when Stahlers Ferrari leaves the Pits and is Hammering down the Mulsanne He keeps glancing at the rear view mirror and sees Delaney's 917 coming up behind him is probably one of the best scenes in the film. Riveting and somewhat menacing at the same time. Yes it's simply a film, but that scene really captures that feeling very well.