SlotForum banner

1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
1,024 Posts
Forget the trendy, cool and scruffy reviewers of today.

As we all know standards of reviewing and reviewers are not what they used to be and have slipped.

Proper slot car reviewers wear a suit and tie. Here is an example of what a proper review should look like to help the current crop of reviewers to raise their standards.

I expect to see equally high standards of reviewing when the current Vanwall and other classics are released. Any less and you will be consigned to "Devil's Kitchen" and suffer a bit of "Edwina Currie" type abuse.

Also note the reference to "kitchen table experts". That is a very polite way of saying "rule benders"!

Note also the reference to a requirement to obtain a B.Sc. before you can become a club racer.
As I say standards have slipped as they let the likes of Intergrale and Lotus03 in these days!

And is anybody up for a bit of "wiggle-woggle"?

Moped

·
Jim Moyes
5,002 Posts
Many thanks for posting that, Moped!

As you can see from the pics even thirty odd years ago there was no need for an unsightly pod on one of these vintage GP cars, so why should there be now.

I particularly like the caption under the nose of the Vanwall. The high performance of the car hasn't meant sacrificing scale appearance.

Mr.M

·
Alan Tadd
4,029 Posts
Very interesting Article...Thanks for sharing Moped.

Fully agree with Mr. M......there really is no need for a "pod". Take a look at the 60's Formula One cars thread....you won't see a pod there!.

Regards

Alan

·
Registered
2,509 Posts
Interesting to see mention of 15 ohm and 25 ohm controllers for a magnetless car since these days we use the lower ohmage controllers for magged-up monsters and use the 60ohm for magnetless.

Coop

·
Registered
1,024 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Its a different motor Coopdevil with armature wire that is thicker so less resistance in the controller is required. Problem then is the motor has no torque.

Modern motors have thinner wire and a greater number of turns around the armature providing more torque which is required for the magnet cars as more current is in the armature as a result of the greater windings.

It is a very interesting technical read and there could well be much discusion eminating from the article.

And all comments are intended in good humour just in case!

Moped

·
Registered
4,634 Posts
The vintage review is nice to see, thanks moped. I don't understand what your latest crusade is though, I think the reviews seen on here and elsewhere on the web are great, often having more practicle advice (add washers to reduce wheel slop, comments on guide or motor positioning etc) than this review you have found. Some of the recent reviews have excellent details on the history of the 1:1 car (absent here), others concentrate on tuning for races (absent here), yet others have a great deal of technical information and comments on the design of the cars, more than here. Also, there is very little in this review on the quality of the finish, the molding of the body, issues on the chassis... in fact, most of the reviews I have seen on current cars are much better!

·
Allan Wakefield
5,857 Posts
I see absolutely NO indication that this Godfrey dude ( Dads Army?) wore a shirt and tie to do this review - MORE unsubstantiated rumour mongering!

PLUS! whats so good about that review? the font is WAY too small, the layout boring and he couldn't even get colour photos!

The tampo work is rubbish, I can clearly see decal marks and what about those silly shallow interiors?

AND! I am sure that is Mr Blobby Heads grandad driving.

Baa Humbug

PS: Astro I think the above initial words strung together to form a post were an attempt at using humour to camoflage what maybe his most interesting post ever. Why this was done eludes me, the article is great.

Hey Moped, where did you dig that one up? Magazine source please?

·
Registered
1,024 Posts
I have a very highly prized collection of Meccano magazines that have a lot of articles about slot car racing. Many more appeared when Tri-ang (Lines Bros.) took over Meccano (Hornby). In fact in latter years there were more slot car articles than train articles! No doubt the boom in Scalextric had something to do with that. They all make very interesting reading.

I had forgotton about the slot car aspects of Meccano magazine as I generally focus on the railway, bayko and Meccano stories.

You may well enjoy the odd future article as and when it appears relevant.

And on the suit and tie thing I have yet to see a picture of a group of slot car racers from the early 1960's where these articles of clothing were not worn by the most respected slot car racers, even the junior racers. This is definitely one area where club standards have declined and no doubt some knowledgable folk here will think of other areas also.

I blame it on timing software and computers. In the old days the abacus was used to count laps and a stop watch was employed to time races. This meant that folk had to use their head to work things out using mental arithmatic. These days the brain is underworked and we have all gone saft as a result!

The club managers here should bring back the former standards of the 1960's for junior club membership and insist on collar and tie as a minimum dress code, together with some form of discipline for unruly behaviour.

And ditch those computerised timers and go back to how it was as described above.

Moped

PS don't believe all that you read.

·
Jim Moyes
5,002 Posts
So, being in-house, it is more of a sales pitch than a review!

Similar to the one we can no doubt expect in Racer mag about MotoGP!

Mr.M

Don't stop showing them though Mope, it's all in fun!

·
Registered
2,070 Posts
As I recall these Race Tuned models were introduced around 1966 but by then they were really past their sell by date as far as... well almost everything! These cars were dated in appearance (it was now the slimline swinging sixties), overscale, the Machuchi can was the hottest thing in motors and worst of all they stuck a really silly stripe on the bonnet!

Still lovely to see that old review though - thanks Moped!

·
Registered
2,509 Posts
QUOTE (lotus03 @ 30 May 2004, 18:54)Not quiet sure what saft is...
A fine old Black Country word, that just means "daft"

Coop

·
Registered
312 Posts
Strangely enough, there are still little 'cliques' of 60's scalextric drivers scattered throughout the world. When ever they get together they race their prized 60's possessions. Nothing is too sacred, or too hard . Imagine a field of formula juniors struggling to do ten laps!! but inspite of this, the home racer was fully catered for by the likes of Scalextric, VIP Airfix and a few others. Scalex cars were robust and the black sided 'Race tuned" motor had a turn of speed which was more than a handfull for the home racer.

The controllers were also well ahead of their time. While most people were suffering under the duress of MRRC thumb plungers which sometimes felt like they were glowing red hot in the palm (I did!), the scalex fraternity had the luxury of ergonomic controller that was a pleasure to use. The controller used a ceramic resistor, now in common use. It used a trigger action, now in common use, and it had a reliable brake terminal built in, unlike a lot, then AND now!

Once a week I have occasion to use one of these controllers at a friends house, he has a complete authentic 60's Scalextric racetrack with original accessories, buildings and figures. He also has two Racetuned controllers (of course) and no matter what is raced. 60's scalextric, Modern Fly or Ninco. The one controller does the lot. The greatest feature is the very short travel of the trigger. From Zero to flat out in a short stroke, but the trigger spring is light enough to allow 100% control through the range, in actual fact, some of the more modern offerings have a finger numbing long stroke by comparison. Using parma controllers after one of these feels like you are playing with a yo-yo with a long string.

I still use my parmas for competition but the short stroke of these old controllers make it a tempting option for lightning exits from corners and tip top braking every time.

1 - 15 of 15 Posts