SlotForum banner
1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Lenny Broke
318 Posts
G'day Chaps,

As a regular racer and event organiser here in the antipodes, I quite often read through the various event's rules and regulations for events run in the UK. One rule I often see is that the gluing of tyres to rims is prohibited. Gluing tyres is standard procedure here among the racing fraternity so I find this curious

With out starting a bun fight, what is the reasoning behind not allowing the gluing of tyres?

cheers,

Alan

·
Rich Dumas
3,570 Posts
My club allows gluing and truing of tires in all of our classes except one, in that case we were expecting to do joint races with another club, so we used their rules. We did run one joint race, but had a problem with the cars that led to changing the rules for our cars.

A new racer can be overwhelmed when he starts to compete with experienced people. In order to deal with that issue and also probably to keep costs down some clubs tend to run stock or nearly stock cars. Gluing tires would seem to be a quick and inexpensive way to improve the performance of the cars, however allowing that might tend to open the door to a lot more modifications.

·
Premium Member
4,394 Posts
The East Devon Slot Racing Club allows the gluing orf tyres, and we have a couple of "club" tyre truers that members of the club are free to use.

The only club that I am aware of that does not allow tyre gluing is 132Racing. Based in Street, Somerset.

·
Alan Wilkinson
1,067 Posts
Typically the prohibition on gluing and truing is to try to level the competition.
It also makes it easier to hand out and monitor tyres for a competition.
For duration racing , permitting glued tyres would lead teams to buy and prepare multiple sets of wheels " ready to go", increasing costs.

To run higher powered and higher speed motors , gluing becomes a necessity otherwise the tyres start to come off the rims.
(So a glue_true prohibition prevents high speed motors etc)

Despite all of the reasons above, I don't like to run without gluing and truing.
I've had too many experiences of cars that won't handle properly and tyres ripping up/coming off the rims.

AlanW

·
Registered
1,552 Posts
We have a good spread of both wooden tops and plastic tracks over here in Blighty.

Mainly 4 or 6 lanes. Power varies also from track to track 12-15v on either surface.

Most to all of the Wood tracks glue and true is standard practice though some do run unglued now as well on certain classes they run

Most Plexi tracks it depends on the club. But think it's mainly unglued?

Weekend Sprint events on Wood tracks allow glued and trued. Some do stipulate specific brand and compound.

Endurance racing on wood is mainly handouts.

Weekend Sprint events on Plexi. Series allow Glue and truing. One off Sprint events tend to be handouts and Parc Ferme

Endurance racing will be handouts

To answer your question. To try and level the playing field!

If everyone has a handout tyre on a standard size wheel there's no advantage in grip level on the track other than how your car is set up.

You can't usually use any fluids on them either. Cleaning with some tape only

As you know grip is paramount and any advantage on adding some sort of softening compound to a tyre to gain you a good few tenths in lap time over another competitor seems to help
biggrin.png

John

·
Registered
96 Posts
The guys I race with primarily don't ask to glue tires to wheels. Most of the stated above reasons which I'll list here for anyone reading this and not starting at the top of the thread. I have to say I am a proponent of no gluing of tires to wheels.

1. reduced skills required for new racers to be competitive. We don't have a modified class as we try to keep cost in mind especially given the locals around here have over 30 classes of cars.

2. easy to provide a spec (hand out tire)

3. we race stock and use a Magnet Marshall II, with maximum magnet downforce limits. By not gluing tires to wheels a racer can quicklly lower or raise magnet downforce by changing to a tire with a higher or lower sidewall tire.

4. cost: a racer can buy a few pair of tires and transfer them amongst different cars to keep tire cost down.

5. less people showing up on race night with a tire glued to their hand.
banana.gif

All that having been said. I think you should do as is done amongst the venues you race in. Personally I own over 300 slot cars (at the beginning of 2019 I would have said over 250) and when I get a new car I can go to any car I own and see if a tire on a car I already own has a tire to fit a newly purchased car. I can then test and decide if the new car gets the same tire or something with a higher or lower profile.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts