SlotForum banner
1 - 3 of 3 Posts

· Registered
1,497 Posts
There is a bit of work getting them to go as quick as that.
On some models you have to dremel a little into the front axle mounts to enable some reamed brass tube (as axle holder) to sit at the right height.

Front wheels glues and trued, the guide mount modified and a Slot,it CH10 fitted, and the guide sitting full depth, the front wheel touching but splitting the weight with the guide, and the body only 1mm ground clearance.

At the back, "collar" the slop in the scaley axle bush with super-glue in the time honoured way, ensure the wheels are sitting on the axle to make a outer track width of 66 - 67mm, the wheels need a buff to roughen the surface before gluing on NSR ultra-grips or Slot.it F22 "F1" tyres.

give the body a little float to compensate for not having a floating pod.

Everything needs to be put together nice and square and flat of course, and the motor glued in.

What you end up with is a car with good guide lead, light weight, looooooow COG and wide track - and grippy tyres.
Allt he manufacturer's vaguries have been removed, you have a tight little rocket.

The video was a demo, they are actually running that track much faster. 91? feet in under 7 seconds with a mabuchi motor.

it is just the physical dimensions combines with low COG and light weight that gives them such sticky cornering.

Phil, our tuning isn't too bad, we have places 2, 3 and 4 in the NZPR CanAm proxy series out of the same club, and these are only 0.3 slower a lap than the best proxy cars on the same track - and Jazzbell (Adelaide) is running a flat-6R in his chappy, I have a yellow-bell in mine in P2, and kennedy-rd and slotmadmac are about a sheet of tissue behind me with the Slot.it Alfa and that insane Spirit Ferrari that Mac built.

It gives us a fun, pretty indestrucible class, and it teaches the newcomers what tricks can be done to make any car fast - a good tutorial.
Mac and another guy have built about 20? of these plus and sold them at cost of parts to everyone, especially the newcomers to club who are faced with cost of many classes and learning to build to club standard, so it helps in many ways.

I have now built 4 more up, and they are simply fun to set up.

AAWSCC - running them stock would probably drive us a bit nuts. We run very smooth wood tracks throughout the club, and all our classes are tuned - even when no swap out parts are permitted such as Ninco pre '65 which only allows for a "control" tyre change. Anything which bobble aloing with unpredicitable deslots or very slow corner speed would probably drive us a touch nuts. I tried setting one up pretty stock, and it wasn't a lot of fun to drive in our environment.
We're not total speed nuts though, for some classes, and some tracks we knock back the volts to make for "civilised" driving. Eg Fly trucks at 9V on one track, on my track 10V for them, Slot.it group C, etc.

Variable voltage is no problem, all the controlers can handle down to 9. Slot.it, Carsteen, DiFalco, 3rd Eye, and Professor motor (we have a line in custom built PMs, which Andy Smith produces for our market with the V range officiallyset as 10 - 15 but actually working right anywhere from 8V upwards)

Mac - you should publish your safety pin trick here somewhere too.

· Registered
1,497 Posts
QUOTE (Mr Modifier @ 30 Oct 2011, 07:56) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>SlotMadMac seems to have created body float in his versions. I had a couple of these old cars and the chassis is so flat and small it's probably the same weight as a motor pod (certainly about the same as my MRSLOTCAR.CA motor pod and not much heavier than the Slot.It HRS motor pod. The old Ferrari I had was made from very rigid plastic - more rigid than modern plastic chassis - I expect the Renault is the same. It seems to me that SlotMadMac's approach has created what is effectively a motor pod with integral guide with a floating body on top. It's actually a chassis-less motor pod!

Perhaps you guys should have a race! (Or send your cars somewhere for a proxy face-off).

Yes, that was a very logical and insightful conclusion, and I am sure it is relevant.

Actually we kicked around with some of the ozzies recently about having a proxy with these cars, but wed have to do it over there.
Running one proxy series with it's base at our small club - so we host about 5 of the rounds during the year PLUS hosting the "nationals" for RTR in NZ, PLUS hosting 3 to 12 hour endurance teams racing for RTR in NZ, we are an awfully busy bunch at times. Sometimes we miss 2 club meetings of 4 in a month due to the other stuff.

Last year we also hosted 2 rounds of the USA/Canadian "Slot.it Shootout" series as well...... whew

HonestJudge - not disputing any of your experiences at all, we're just saying what ours has been. I think our track situations are probably quite different.
With well tuned and balanced cars, it finally comes down to the grip level that can be acheived.

Looks like you guys are on scalextric plastic surface. We're running on permanent wood tracks, our surfaces are varying types of gloss, and grip is high enough with silicons and some "rubber" compounds that I have barrel rolled a well balanced Slot.it Nissan GT that simply won't de-slot front or back end and finally falls out because the centrifugal force overcomes the gravitational forces and adhesion.

Hasn't been updated in a while, but here's our club site.
http://www.burmac.co.nz/hbmrc/index.html

· Registered
1,497 Posts
Heya Alan

nice to see you still loitering in these parts.

oh the Ninco track ....that seems like "long, long ago, in a galaxy far, far away"

We ended up like this. The portable track in foreground never really got used, I sold it off to someone who subsequently joined us, and he sold it off to a local model shop and HE has Munter's last track build.

But not long after you visited, we got racing on Macs track, and on my first routed track (the one BEFORE Oakland Raceway V1)
and since then we've built a few more as can be seen on the club site.

We abandoned the clubrooms and now rotate around all our routed tracks.
I use the clubrooms as a lockup now, and have about 10 part built CNC routed modular tracks sitting there, including a "Mugelllo" and a "Hampton Downs" - awaiting my attention one day.

Motley bunch of slotters...... look familiar?

Brian at right of shot is a founding member and a former NZ GP250 champion, he hardly ever gets allowed out to play these days.

Occasionally we pry him loose from SWMBO

1 - 3 of 3 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.