SlotForum banner
21 - 27 of 27 Posts

· Registered
1,497 Posts
QUOTE (Mr Modifier @ 30 Oct 2011, 07:56) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>SlotMadMac seems to have created body float in his versions. I had a couple of these old cars and the chassis is so flat and small it's probably the same weight as a motor pod (certainly about the same as my MRSLOTCAR.CA motor pod and not much heavier than the Slot.It HRS motor pod. The old Ferrari I had was made from very rigid plastic - more rigid than modern plastic chassis - I expect the Renault is the same. It seems to me that SlotMadMac's approach has created what is effectively a motor pod with integral guide with a floating body on top. It's actually a chassis-less motor pod!

Perhaps you guys should have a race! (Or send your cars somewhere for a proxy face-off).

Yes, that was a very logical and insightful conclusion, and I am sure it is relevant.

Actually we kicked around with some of the ozzies recently about having a proxy with these cars, but wed have to do it over there.
Running one proxy series with it's base at our small club - so we host about 5 of the rounds during the year PLUS hosting the "nationals" for RTR in NZ, PLUS hosting 3 to 12 hour endurance teams racing for RTR in NZ, we are an awfully busy bunch at times. Sometimes we miss 2 club meetings of 4 in a month due to the other stuff.

Last year we also hosted 2 rounds of the USA/Canadian "Slot.it Shootout" series as well...... whew

HonestJudge - not disputing any of your experiences at all, we're just saying what ours has been. I think our track situations are probably quite different.
With well tuned and balanced cars, it finally comes down to the grip level that can be acheived.

Looks like you guys are on scalextric plastic surface. We're running on permanent wood tracks, our surfaces are varying types of gloss, and grip is high enough with silicons and some "rubber" compounds that I have barrel rolled a well balanced Slot.it Nissan GT that simply won't de-slot front or back end and finally falls out because the centrifugal force overcomes the gravitational forces and adhesion.

Hasn't been updated in a while, but here's our club site.
http://www.burmac.co.nz/hbmrc/index.html

· Ray
1,081 Posts
Hi if you woulld be so kind what are the dimensions for the track on Youtube length x width, lane spacing and lane length?

Will be building a track at home sometime next year.

Regards

Ray

· Registered
74 Posts
Discussion Starter · #23 ·
The track is 4.3m x 6.2m at its widest and longest points. Lane spacing is 90mm. It's about 95 foot long. (Sorry about the mix of metric / imperial!)

Have to say I think it's a great track. Fast and flowing with some technical elements. I've never got sick of it.

Mac

· Registered
1,497 Posts
Heya Alan

nice to see you still loitering in these parts.

oh the Ninco track ....that seems like "long, long ago, in a galaxy far, far away"

We ended up like this. The portable track in foreground never really got used, I sold it off to someone who subsequently joined us, and he sold it off to a local model shop and HE has Munter's last track build.

But not long after you visited, we got racing on Macs track, and on my first routed track (the one BEFORE Oakland Raceway V1)
and since then we've built a few more as can be seen on the club site.

We abandoned the clubrooms and now rotate around all our routed tracks.
I use the clubrooms as a lockup now, and have about 10 part built CNC routed modular tracks sitting there, including a "Mugelllo" and a "Hampton Downs" - awaiting my attention one day.

Motley bunch of slotters...... look familiar?

Brian at right of shot is a founding member and a former NZ GP250 champion, he hardly ever gets allowed out to play these days.

Occasionally we pry him loose from SWMBO

· Ray
1,081 Posts
QUOTE (slotmadmac @ 31 Oct 2011, 21:04) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>The track is 4.3m x 6.2m at its widest and longest points. Lane spacing is 90mm. It's about 95 foot long. (Sorry about the mix of metric / imperial!)

Have to say I think it's a great track. Fast and flowing with some technical elements. I've never got sick of it.

Mac

Many thanks Mac thats great

Regards

Ray
Team Thunderbird

· Nobby Berkshire
1,987 Posts
QUOTE Is somebody a little peeved that a scrapyard special is better than their fifty quid Slot.It ?!?

Not really. Add the cost of the guide, plus the motor, plus the NSR tyres plus the time invested in fiddling around and it's close enough to the price as a SlotIt kit model.

Great yellow blob fun, though

It proves that all the fancy hi-tech fuss of more expensive cars is always down to the age-old reality that good tyres and a good motor are always the only real major contributor to a good performing slotcar.

But how come a RevellMonogram motor performs so well. All the ones I've tried are awful!

21 - 27 of 27 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.