SlotForum banner
1 - 20 of 158 Posts

·
Registered
873 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi,
Since my brother is 50 this year I thought I would make him a fun present, and what could be better than a bit of Scalextric

That must be just what a 50 year your man needs, and dream about

Went down to the shop yesterday to buy the bits I wanted:

And as usual, I bought to much (in addition I had the left overs from "a little Norway in Sussex).
The biggest challenge in this project is to transport it on a plane to Norway in May, and to eneble me to get it onboard as spesial
luggage on the plane, it can't be bigger than 140cmX90CM

Well, this is the first set up I tried tonight:

I would appreciate comments and ideas on this small layout, before I start the scenery

Scenery itself is going to be a bit of a mix between forrest, rocks a pond and a few buildings. There will off course
be a bit of a climb up the back straight and turn.

Looking forward to some good ideas for a very small space!

regards per
PS: A while back I saw a very small scenic layout here at the SF, can anyone point me back to that?

·
Registered
1,104 Posts
Download a track making program and experiment a little :)

I use Tracker2000 there are more track making programs though :) If you dont like tinkering with software post a list with what parts you have and ppl usualy helps out and post examples of layouts :)

Not much more you can do in that space but please post what extra tracks you have and ppl will help

·
Registered
873 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
QUOTE (Umbra @ 16 Feb 2009, 00:05) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>Download a track making program and experiment a little :)

I use Tracker2000 there are more track making programs though :) If you dont like tinkering with software post a list with what parts you have and ppl usualy helps out and post examples of layouts :)

Not much more you can do in that space but please post what extra tracks you have and ppl will help

Thanks Umbra,
You and everyone else can just assume I have all the parts you like to use for a track suggestion, the shop is after all only 10 minutes away

Per

·
Registered
1,143 Posts
Uh .. it's late and I should be sleeping but naah ..

Anyways, Per .. as a pressie to your brother, the cars ought to be just that, pair of brothers! Henning and Petter. That's Petter's Subaru but whos Ford is it, Grönholm? Both bros. did rather well in Norway, I read.

To track layout suggestion, scenicly it sounds just fine but here's an idea. You can't take this as cabin bag, it goes as freight, right? Any weight considerations? Max 14. kilos or so? Width X lenght is deterimined, how's thickness?

You could make a very light weight box frame, say 20 cm. "high" all around. There are some laminates that weight close to nothing. Bottom AND top are detachable. Put into place with some 8 to 12 screws for transportation only. Both bottom and top contain half of the track with some scenics in place. Thus you'd double the area of 140 x 90 to 280 x 90. There's so much more you can put into that space.

Any good?

-- ron --

·
Registered
1,143 Posts
Just a quickie to demonstrate the concept. Size 140 x 90 x 2. Crossovers should give similar or equal lane lenght.

Could be interesting as it has a bit lenght to it, tight and twisty. Run between logpiles and a few small huts.

I know there's been similar projects on the Forum, Adjoining tables, boxed layouts, whatever. Cant't point you at right direction though.
I hope you keep us posted, however you choose to do!

-- ron --

·
Registered
1,143 Posts
QUOTE (perthor @ 16 Feb 2009, 15:54) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>.. I am lazy by nature, so do you happen to have the track nr and bits you need to build your latest suggestion? Thanks Per
He hee .. yeah, so am I, and I never get anything done or finish a layout or any of the props. Got plenty of ideas though ..

Here's a list of used parts. Keep in mind, if doing it in two separate parts, you could cut a full straight in two instead of using short straights and so on .. And adjust track according to any slopes, bumps or height differances, but you know all that!

C8205 / 10 / full straight
C8207 / 2 / half straight
C8200 / 3 / quarter straight
C8236 / 2 / short straight
C8202 / 6 / r1, 45 degrees
C8206 / 6 / r2, 45 degrees
C8204 / 5 / r3, 22.5 degrees
C8235 / 1 / r4, 22.5 degrees
C8203 / 2 / r2 changeover curve
C8217 / 1 / connection straight

Also, I've seen many Model Railroad layouts, peeps who make their layouts prepared "for transportation" Especially in UK, for lack of space. Put it together as a box, folded-in legs, lights, all stuff. When at a show, everything is un-folded within few minutes and ready-to-roll.

So it would be very interesting to see if you can make a slot track in same fashion! Put it into a box ..

-- ron --

·
Registered
873 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Ron,
Thanks for great inspiration, good ideas, help and a good laugh! I have already done something simular with the train set I am building for the kids in my home office.

This set up is 175 cm X 125 cm and it is hinged on the wall like this:

In practical terms in means it turns from train set to a large home cinema screen with surround system and it is hooked up to the imac for film, photos, music and TV. the only issue is that I easily get distracted from work
, but it works a treat! I would love to do something simular with the Scalextric. I guess we find the answer in my next post, got to go out in the garage and cut the base board

Thanks, Per

·
Registered
873 Posts
Hi again,

After Ron,s willing help, advice and tips, I went back to the shop again today and bought more track. I guess you
could say that I didnt really need to buy the Rally set after all, but hey it was fun

Ron, I hesitate to say that after all the hard work from you, I decided on using your idea but not quite 100%

I decided to increase the size to 155 x 96 cm (to much on the plate to start with a larger project, but I promise that I will be back and give Ron's challenge a go)!
Here this is the final lay out:

The kids and I have been playing on it most of the evening, and I must say that it is great fun (Thanks Ron!),
and off course it has been quite cool to use all the fly cars I haven't chipped yet!

The plan is that the cars will to the left as seen on the picture. The track itself will have a small climb from the start through
the large corner, before it hits flat terrain in the first sharp 180 degrees corner. most areas will be covered with pine trees, moss, rocks and a small stream.
I am hopeful that I will get 3 log cabins on the lay out (1 full and 2 as back drops), in addition to wooden fencing all around. I guess I am trying to achieve a
a late 50's look.

Tips and comments are as always welcome!

regards Per

·
Registered
873 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
Hi,
Just a quick update. Unfortunately I am not makeing as much progress as I would have liked, but at least the base is now made:

I have tried to make it with as light and durable wood as possible since it will be airfreighted to Norway in May. I have moved in to the house where I can start to work on the elevations:

Just finished the elevations, and I am hopeful that I can make a small start on the scenery late tonight.

This last shot should give you a good indication of the hight difference build in to this landscape:

Just behind the focus I will make a dummy tunnel as a part of the scenery.
I will be back with more as soon as I have more to show you.

regards Per

·
Registered
1,143 Posts
Nice to see this got started, Per! You don't hang about or waste your time, do you?

Just a last idea/suggestion and I'll shut up after that .. Make the bottom right 180 degree hairpin [as in picture in reply #10] "loose", cut off or trim down the tabs or such. And make the scenics in that bend easy to remove, so your brother can extend the track to right very easily.

Keep us posted .. whatever!

-- ron --

·
Registered
873 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
QUOTE (ronMcRain @ 18 Feb 2009, 16:28) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>Nice to see this got started, Per! You don't hang about or waste your time, do you?

Just a last idea/suggestion and I'll shut up after that .. Make the bottom right 180 degree hairpin [as in picture in reply #10] "loose", cut off or trim down the tabs or such. And make the scenics in that bend easy to remove, so your brother can extend the track to right very easily.

Keep us posted .. whatever!

-- ron --

Ron, Thanks for your continues encouraging and support, I will bear you tips in mind! Not sure my wife wood agree with me not hanging about, but if there is something I enjoy I will get on with it. Thanks, Per

QUOTE (dgersh @ 18 Feb 2009, 18:21) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>What a great 50th birthday present, and a very nice brotherly gift! Congratulations on this project and good luck.

Don

Don, Thanks, I hope he will be happy with it! Per

I had to shorten the inside curve with half a track piece so that they would not slide into the overbuild part of the track. The good news is that I get a bit more space for scenery
. Going away on business tomorrow for a week, so unfortunately much will happen in the short term
But I guess New Zealand and LA could keep me busy so I don't miss the track to much

regards Per

·
Registered
873 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
I have not had much time to make progress on this track due to a very heavy workload, but I managed to spend a few hours on it today.
As you can see from the pics I have started on the scenery, mostly trying to shape the rock formations and to play with the color scheeme.
As planned it will be a summer theme, but unfortunately since i choice to put maximum track in I will most likely not have any space for buildings :-(
here is a few pics to get you up to date:

As you can see I have only done the first layer of earth colors. I hope to do more tomorrow, and I will off course update you
accordingly.

regards Per

·
Registered
873 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 ·
Have nearly finished the rock formation under the elevated part of the track:

Done some more work with the painting, and this is what it looks like this morning:

I'll keep you posted on progress, and if anyone have some god ideas for small scenery items or any
other suggestions to improve the track, please step forward.
Regards Per

·
Tel
4,125 Posts
Lovie watching this masterpiece in miniture develop, your Bro will be one lucky man

Nice little Fiat 500's too ... I may have to get a couple of those (if only they did the grande punto as well
)

1 - 20 of 158 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.