SlotForum banner
1 - 20 of 61 Posts

·
Registered
873 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi again,
I know what you are thinking, not him again

Well, to make a long story short, we miss the little track we sent to Norway and my youngest (8) asked me nicely if he couldn't have a
small track in his bedroom. What do you say to that
It is a no brainer realy, he gets his track and I get to build it, YES

Negotiated with my better half, and the result is that we have no started on a small lay out on a base board measuring 165cm x 80cm. This will be made so that it can be hinged on the wall,
with a lid on the top. When down, and not being played with you take the lid down and it will double as a desk
Oh, and I promised my wife to make it in the garage, and then in the shed part of the barn type garage. Luckily for us, there is plenty of space.

This is as far as we came today!

First layout in my office, now moved to the garage

For those of you with sharp eye sight, you will have noticed I changed the near side turn a bit since the space permitted a bit more track.

In action, after taping my thumb after the drill attacked it

Ready to be carried into the shed part

Plans for the scenery is very much the same as the track we build for my brother, but mot of the trees will be silverbirches and there will be more of a low land feel to it with grass, bushes, lakes, stones and a few out buildings. After all it is only for fun and I need to hurry up since my son is asking every hour when will it be ready.

Ideas and comments are as always welcome!

regards Per

·
Peter Rondel
6,022 Posts
first thing I would do is build in a short chicane, second thing is not using barriers too close to the corners. the cars pressing harder and faster will crift with the tail to it. (or it sgould be a tyres wall, that will slow one down)
nice track for lots of summer fun.
maybe a set or drift cars will really make it even more exciting. (I know it will)

·
Registered
873 Posts
QUOTE (rooster364 @ 6 Jun 2009, 21:52) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>Looks fun & nice job you've done. My brother in law had many a happy hour on a similar track.
You know, the Metro figure of 8.

Thanks for sharing & best of luck with the scenery, Rod.
Hi Rod,
My son just wanted something simple, and since he has the smallest bedroom in the house I was limited on the options. I first tried to make something similar to the one I made for my brother, but my son insisted on a bridge! I hope it turn out well and that it get plenty of use.
Per

QUOTE (FZSsemans® @ 7 Jun 2009, 09:49) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>first thing I would do is build in a short chicane, second thing is not using barriers too close to the corners. the cars pressing harder and faster will crift with the tail to it. (or it sgould be a tyres wall, that will slow one down)
nice track for lots of summer fun.
maybe a set or drift cars will really make it even more exciting. (I know it will)

FZsemans,
I thought about a chicane, but my kids loves crashing to much so it would only end in chaos. I will however make as much space as possible between the track and the crash barrier.
A set of drift cars is on the list!
Thanks, Per

QUOTE (noobs_together @ 7 Jun 2009, 16:37) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>WOW! You are starting again? Carp man I am gonna feel envy for this whole post...SNIFF
Great work, now looking at your previous track I know this is going to be another killer!
noobs_together,
Nothing like putting the list high, he!?
Use it as inspiration, and get on with it. You might feel better

Per

·
Registered
873 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Hi
Painted the back drop and started to shape the scenery in the far corner.
This is how far I got today:

As you can see I am quite limited in height on this design. This is due to the fact
that the track will be hinged on the wall, and Kristians bedroom is quite small. However I still hope we should be able
to make something fun out of it.

This turn represent the rocky area of the track, while the other turn will be covered in grass, shrubs, lake and a stream. Not to forget the good old barn.
You just have to use your fantasy to see what it will look like, for time being it looks like a big cake

More should follow tomorrow, Per

·
Dave Capelen
2,801 Posts
Hi Per

QUOTE for time being it looks like a big cake

Maybe, but your cakes progress very quickly into full-blown scenic tracks....

OK, so you have limited space to work in, but I know you will produce something with great scenic looks...!

I may need to borrow you for a few days when my track is ready....

Cheers
Dave

·
Registered
873 Posts
QUOTE (Slotcarmann @ 7 Jun 2009, 21:22) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>Hi Per

Maybe, but your cakes progress very quickly into full-blown scenic tracks....

OK, so you have limited space to work in, but I know you will produce something with great scenic looks...!

I may need to borrow you for a few days when my track is ready....

Cheers
Dave

Dave
Isle of Man sounds like a great place to spend a few summer days
, and I am sure my family would enjoy that as well!
Per

·
Dave Capelen
2,801 Posts
Hi Per

QUOTE Isle of Man sounds like a great place to spend a few summer days rolleyes.gif , and I am sure my family would enjoy that as well!

That would be good, more hands make light work (so they say).

Hopefully we'll be ready for landscaping / scenery next summer....June/July/August are the best months here usually, for weather.

As we're only 16 miles from Scotland, it goes dark quite late this time of year, in fact there's still a tiny bit of light in the northern sky now (11:40pm). Only 40 minutes ago I was watching the bats flying in the garden....

How many is "family"? For 3 or 4 there is plenty of space....hoping to have the loft conversion/extension done this year.

Cheers
Dave

·
Tel
4,145 Posts
He is off again

I didn't think it would be long before you started another, but that was very quick !
I look forward to watching it grow

·
Registered
873 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
I have not managed to do as much as I wanted today, but I have managed to get some painting and scenery done.
Hopefully I will be able to do more tomorrow
. This is status tonight:

At least this means I can start with grass etc in this section. The inside of this turn will have a barn and grassy areas, and a few trees and shrubs.
Trying to keep it plain and simple. That's all for tonight

Per

·
Ian
99 Posts
Tel you took the words right out of my mouth -

He is off again!
I didn't think it would be long before you started another, but that was very quick !

So do I
Go Per Go!

·
Registered
873 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
QUOTE (Graham Lane @ 7 Jun 2009, 19:29) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>Serial track builder. Just like jmswms.
It's viral. See a doctor.
Graham, not to keen on Doctors, was more hoping that you could cure me with home brew in July

QUOTE (Savage @ 7 Jun 2009, 23:44) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>He is off again

Savage, I just couldn't help it
I hope it can live up to expectations, Per

QUOTE (bleep @ 8 Jun 2009, 22:10) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>Tel you took the words right out of my mouth -

He is off again!

So do I
Go Per Go!

Bleep, Thanks, jus one challenge this time, and that is that I am building it in the garage and the weather is quite wet
So unfortunately tha plastering I added on Sunday is still soft

I have just put a fan heater in there so I hope that helps
I'll try not to let you down with the updates. Per

I hope to get some updates on tonight, and after that nothing will happen before Sunday. Going to Sweden to look after our customers during the Volvo Ocean Race stopover in Marstrand, I know it is a hard job but someone have to do it

Per

·
Registered
873 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
QUOTE (Frank T @ 9 Jun 2009, 08:47) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>Hi perthor,

and tomorrow you´ll present us the perfekt detailed and finished track??????

looks good as that little birthday present

Thanks Frank!

I am sorry to disapoint you but I have not achieved as much as I hoped for today, but some progress have been made.
I have laid the first layer of grass, and painted the 2nd layer of rocks and ground and this is the result (not as good as I hoped for):

That's all folks, need some sleep before I catch the 0700 flight tomorrow which means up at 0345

regards Per

·
Registered
873 Posts
HELP!
Is there a clever engineer out there that can suggest how I can set up some sort of pully system on the wall so that my 8 year old son (and I) can operate or pull it up? The whole point with this track is that it will be hinged on the wall, and when he is not playing with it, or using it as a desk, he should be able to pull it so that it goes flush with the wall. Looking forward to receiving you creative ideas!
Regards
Per

·
Dave Capelen
2,801 Posts
Hi Per

QUOTE Is there a clever engineer out there that can suggest how I can set up some sort of pully system on the wall so that my 8 year old son (and I) can operate or pull it up?

There have been a couple over the past year on some of the track threads, I just can't remember which ones. I think one was in Oz in a garage.

I'm sure there will be others who can point you in the right direction.

Cheers
Dave

·
Registered
3,061 Posts
QUOTE (Slotcarmann @ 10 Jun 2009, 23:52) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>There have been a couple over the past year on some of the track threads, I just can't remember which ones. I think one was in Oz in a garage.

I'm sure there will be others who can point you in the right direction.

Cheers
Dave
you are right, Dave. He used two boat winches to lift everything.
Can't remember the name but was looking at it last week. Check postings for Australian track listed in the past week or two.

Per,
I just bought a Garage Gorilla electric winch to lift mine to the ceiling of our garage. Bought it at www.costco.ca (Costco in Canada) on sale last week. Lifts 200 lbs. at the touch of a button with all sorts of safety features. Check out my/your Costco web site or look up the product name (Garage Gorilla) on the web to find a distributor.

Cheers!

1 - 20 of 61 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.