SlotForum banner
1 - 20 of 35 Posts

·
Registered
873 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi again,
I know what you are thinking, not him again

Well, to make a long story short, we miss the little track we sent to Norway and my youngest (8) asked me nicely if he couldn't have a
small track in his bedroom. What do you say to that
It is a no brainer realy, he gets his track and I get to build it, YES

Negotiated with my better half, and the result is that we have no started on a small lay out on a base board measuring 165cm x 80cm. This will be made so that it can be hinged on the wall,
with a lid on the top. When down, and not being played with you take the lid down and it will double as a desk
Oh, and I promised my wife to make it in the garage, and then in the shed part of the barn type garage. Luckily for us, there is plenty of space.

This is as far as we came today!

First layout in my office, now moved to the garage

For those of you with sharp eye sight, you will have noticed I changed the near side turn a bit since the space permitted a bit more track.

In action, after taping my thumb after the drill attacked it

Ready to be carried into the shed part

Plans for the scenery is very much the same as the track we build for my brother, but mot of the trees will be silverbirches and there will be more of a low land feel to it with grass, bushes, lakes, stones and a few out buildings. After all it is only for fun and I need to hurry up since my son is asking every hour when will it be ready.

Ideas and comments are as always welcome!

regards Per

·
Registered
873 Posts
QUOTE (rooster364 @ 6 Jun 2009, 21:52) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>Looks fun & nice job you've done. My brother in law had many a happy hour on a similar track.
You know, the Metro figure of 8.

Thanks for sharing & best of luck with the scenery, Rod.
Hi Rod,
My son just wanted something simple, and since he has the smallest bedroom in the house I was limited on the options. I first tried to make something similar to the one I made for my brother, but my son insisted on a bridge! I hope it turn out well and that it get plenty of use.
Per

QUOTE (FZSsemans® @ 7 Jun 2009, 09:49) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>first thing I would do is build in a short chicane, second thing is not using barriers too close to the corners. the cars pressing harder and faster will crift with the tail to it. (or it sgould be a tyres wall, that will slow one down)
nice track for lots of summer fun.
maybe a set or drift cars will really make it even more exciting. (I know it will)

FZsemans,
I thought about a chicane, but my kids loves crashing to much so it would only end in chaos. I will however make as much space as possible between the track and the crash barrier.
A set of drift cars is on the list!
Thanks, Per

QUOTE (noobs_together @ 7 Jun 2009, 16:37) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>WOW! You are starting again? Carp man I am gonna feel envy for this whole post...SNIFF
Great work, now looking at your previous track I know this is going to be another killer!
noobs_together,
Nothing like putting the list high, he!?
Use it as inspiration, and get on with it. You might feel better

Per

·
Registered
873 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Hi
Painted the back drop and started to shape the scenery in the far corner.
This is how far I got today:

As you can see I am quite limited in height on this design. This is due to the fact
that the track will be hinged on the wall, and Kristians bedroom is quite small. However I still hope we should be able
to make something fun out of it.

This turn represent the rocky area of the track, while the other turn will be covered in grass, shrubs, lake and a stream. Not to forget the good old barn.
You just have to use your fantasy to see what it will look like, for time being it looks like a big cake

More should follow tomorrow, Per

·
Registered
873 Posts
QUOTE (Slotcarmann @ 7 Jun 2009, 21:22) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>Hi Per

Maybe, but your cakes progress very quickly into full-blown scenic tracks....

OK, so you have limited space to work in, but I know you will produce something with great scenic looks...!

I may need to borrow you for a few days when my track is ready....

Cheers
Dave

Dave
Isle of Man sounds like a great place to spend a few summer days
, and I am sure my family would enjoy that as well!
Per

·
Registered
873 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
I have not managed to do as much as I wanted today, but I have managed to get some painting and scenery done.
Hopefully I will be able to do more tomorrow
. This is status tonight:

At least this means I can start with grass etc in this section. The inside of this turn will have a barn and grassy areas, and a few trees and shrubs.
Trying to keep it plain and simple. That's all for tonight

Per

·
Registered
873 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
QUOTE (Graham Lane @ 7 Jun 2009, 19:29) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>Serial track builder. Just like jmswms.
It's viral. See a doctor.
Graham, not to keen on Doctors, was more hoping that you could cure me with home brew in July

QUOTE (Savage @ 7 Jun 2009, 23:44) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>He is off again

I didn't think it would be long before you started another, but that was very quick !
I look forward to watching it grow

Savage, I just couldn't help it
I hope it can live up to expectations, Per

QUOTE (bleep @ 8 Jun 2009, 22:10) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>Tel you took the words right out of my mouth -

He is off again!
I didn't think it would be long before you started another, but that was very quick !
I look forward to watching it grow

So do I
Go Per Go!

Bleep, Thanks, jus one challenge this time, and that is that I am building it in the garage and the weather is quite wet
So unfortunately tha plastering I added on Sunday is still soft

I have just put a fan heater in there so I hope that helps
I'll try not to let you down with the updates. Per

I hope to get some updates on tonight, and after that nothing will happen before Sunday. Going to Sweden to look after our customers during the Volvo Ocean Race stopover in Marstrand, I know it is a hard job but someone have to do it

Per

·
Registered
873 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
QUOTE (Frank T @ 9 Jun 2009, 08:47) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>Hi perthor,

and tomorrow you´ll present us the perfekt detailed and finished track??????

looks good as that little birthday present

Thanks Frank!

I am sorry to disapoint you but I have not achieved as much as I hoped for today, but some progress have been made.
I have laid the first layer of grass, and painted the 2nd layer of rocks and ground and this is the result (not as good as I hoped for):

That's all folks, need some sleep before I catch the 0700 flight tomorrow which means up at 0345

regards Per

·
Registered
873 Posts
HELP!
Is there a clever engineer out there that can suggest how I can set up some sort of pully system on the wall so that my 8 year old son (and I) can operate or pull it up? The whole point with this track is that it will be hinged on the wall, and when he is not playing with it, or using it as a desk, he should be able to pull it so that it goes flush with the wall. Looking forward to receiving you creative ideas!
Regards
Per

·
Registered
873 Posts
Discussion Starter · #22 ·
Some progress been made since I got home on Sunday, but unfortunately not as much as I hoped for.
You might notice that I have changed the material I am making thr crash barrier from, it used to be wood, but this time it is pvc.
Main reason being that during playtime with the track I build for my brother, the cars wood quite easy brake the wood
during a crash. Anyhow, I hope you enjoy the picture update

Will update you as soon as I can, but I will be away for most of the week in Stockholm for the Volvo Ocean Race

Regards Per

·
Registered
873 Posts
Well, I just have not got enough time to make the progress I wish to complete the track for my youngest. Have hardly been home since the last update, however I managed do do a bit on Sunday, and I downloaded the pics so now I am sitting in Copenhagen and doing this update. Although I am trying to make the track slightly different from the last one, I guess you all think it is a bit of a carbon copy. However, have patience and I hope we wi will experience a change.

I will let the pics do the majority of the update:

I want this track to be a fun track for the kids, so I bought 2 hot rods from carrera:

Another difference in this track approach is that I am focusing on finishing the right half before I start on the left side. Not sure why, but I think I am just buying myself time to decide what to do on the other side

Have again tried to weather the crash barrier with watered down black acrylic paint, still need to paint the posts though

Small changes in the scenery are taking place all the time. Here I have added long grass, tall brown and green grass and some bushes in front of the rock:

Here you clearly see where the barn will be placed:

Will off course paint the track, add trafic signs, more trees, a few people, a stream and a pon , etc etc, or maybe you have some good ideas?

Thanks for watching!
Per

·
Registered
873 Posts
Discussion Starter · #26 ·
QUOTE (GlovemanP510 @ 24 Jun 2009, 22:02) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>nice work per

as always impressed by the work in the little details you add

"I want this track to be a fun track for the kids, so I bought 2 hot rods from carrera:"

not to mention it seems to be a good excuse to buy a few more cars

Cheers Gloveman
Gloveman, Glad you like it, personally I am not quite sure yet? I do not seem to get it to look like I dreamed about, but I guess it is early days yet. Quite correct, I'll use any excuse to buy more cars. Per

QUOTE (GTR XU-1 @ 25 Jun 2009, 03:41) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>perthor,

Nice little track there mate. You have done an excelent job on the scenery too. Top stuff.

I was reading through the thread and see references to my tracks pulley system to get it into the roof. I think something what I have got is a little bit of overkill for a table that size and hinging it off the wall would be the way to go. As far as coming up with a hinge system it all depends what hinges etc rigging gear you have available in your area. I wouldnt worry about any winches etc especially if the table is not that heavy (keep in mind that the hinges itself will carry half of the table load as well.

I would go to a rigging shop (not a hardware but an actual rigging centre that sells hinges, clips, steel rope and pulleys and see what they can come up with.

Somethings you may want to consider is.

1) your children and his mates may in advertantly lean on the table so you want to make sure the hinges have a firm fixing to the wall but also what ever is being used to keep the table horizintal can carry a reasonable load (say plus another 100 odd kgs also keep in mind cantilever effects ......longer the arm equals the greater overturning moment) so use good quality gear!!!!

2) the box wall around the table may pose a bit of a problem if you want the track to face the wall when it is folded up because the hinge should really be fixed to the underside of the table (your box wall prevents this from being done). What I would do is have the table face outwards when it is packed away and make timber lid that can be fixed to the top of your box to protect all the scenery etc.

I am assuming your board is 1.2m high. So the cheapest possible solution (and probably the strongest) is to fix some heavy duty (say 3-4mm thick) steel hinges to the side that is going to be fixed to the wall and in a manner that allows the board to fold downwards. I would use say 4 100mm long hinges. Fix some heavy duty hooks or an eyelet of sorts to the wall about 800mm above the hinges on the wall either side of the table. Fix a length of steel tubing or sturdy timber length ways under the table about 800mm down and fix some wire rope the timber (on both sides). With the table up and an eyelet at the free end of the wire rope, the wire rope can hang off the hooks and hold the table vertical. To fold away. Fix the lid to the top of the box, unhook the wire ropes and gently lower. I hope i have explained it simple enough...it is quite simple to do. I wouldnt have the wire rope tied on all the way out to the corner of the table as it will probably get in the way when it diagonals back to the wall. If you have it so the fixing point is about 800mm out from the wall on the table, the wire rope will be less obtrusive this way.

Hope this gives you some ideas.

Dave
Thanks for detailed help Dave, I hope you do not mind me getting back to you at a later stage? Per

·
Registered
873 Posts
Finally, the concrete footing is down for the barn

Bushes and growth completed on the left side of the road on the way down from the bridge:

Have worked on creating the area in the left circle to get ready for landscaping etc:
Towards the concre footing on the bridge:

Coming out under the tunnel:

Overview of the area, guess what the empty space is going to be:

Thats all for tonight, hopefully I'll get more done tomorrow.
Per

·
Registered
873 Posts
Worked a bit more on the right hand corner and painted and aged the crash barrier posts. Added a bit more scenerie, and I like to
think that it is now nearly at a stage where I will put the barn in its place (tomorrow), and call this area finished for now. What do you think?

Started the paint work on the left hand side, at least is should give you an idea on what I am trying to achieve:

I hope to get in another update tomorrow, before I am off on business for a couple of days and then head towards Umbria and the MMM

Per

·
Registered
873 Posts
Discussion Starter · #34 ·
The display car from the Mini Mille Miglia Event arrived today, and my son took it for a spin on his not yet ready track

Looks great doesn't it?

Thanks Richard (Graymalkin) for a fantastic job.

Need to go and pack now

Per

·
Registered
873 Posts
Discussion Starter · #36 ·
QUOTE (bristolracer @ 3 Jul 2009, 07:06) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>Nice track

The figure of eight small circuit is where it all starts for the youngster,smell of hot controllers as you run that new car on your track just one of those evocotive childhood memories that makes us slot nuts.

Good little track

Thanks Bristolracer, It was the only track that could practically fit into his bedroom without doingt major alterations. I am glad you like it

Otherwise I can inform you that we are all (I think) enjoying our stay in Castello delle Forme and the Mini MIlle Miglia, god company, briliant track, good foor and drink and 40+ degrees outside. What more can you ask for?

regards
Per
From Grahams balcony

·
Registered
873 Posts
Discussion Starter · #37 ·
QUOTE (Savage @ 29 Jun 2009, 19:27) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>Dont forget my choccie in Norway

Cool area with the logs were the barn will be, have fun at MMM

Savage, your choccie is about to be eaten by my family, need you to pm me your address to rescue it
Per

·
Registered
873 Posts
Discussion Starter · #38 ·
Back home from a great weekend in Italy with no victories, but a lot of new friends

Have also got back into trying to finish of me sons bedroom track, wich I have to since I promised it should be up at the Directors BBQ at school today

Been busy working on finishing the barn area (right hand side of the track), and trying to secure the scenery and area on the left side so the kids can drive safely tonight without
damaging to much

So, this is status as of yesterday evening:

I hope you enjoy the updates, and thank you for looking

Per

1 - 20 of 35 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.