SlotForum banner
1 - 20 of 20 Posts

·
Administrator
9,905 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
A friend here showed me one of these a few years ago and I was finally able to take a couple photos today - maybe the only incident in history of a slot car influencing the diecast world! Introducting the "La Cucaracha GT" no manufacturer, just "Made in Hong Kong" on some of the bottoms... and at least two versions of the chassis, with different wheels...

And to make things more interesting, looks like they duplicated the Cheetaracha too...

·
Administrator
9,905 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Yes indeed! I was kind of hoping to see you here Jairus - any idea who made these or when?

Don

PS: thinking about this, it might be further evidence that the Cuc was the most influential slot car in history... or maybe not!

·
Registered
1,667 Posts
I have no idea who made them. But the Japanese first in the 60's and now the Chinese have many manufacturers of little cars. (Tootsie Toy, Cogio, Superfast, etc) Most never paid for the rights to produce the shape. But then Cox moved on to gas powered cars and aircraft so... doubt they saw these as any sort of competition. Philippe might have an opinion.

·
Registered
1,590 Posts
there was a Cox/Hong Kong connection: quoting Phillipe in an old "Vintage Slot Racing Newsletter": "They (referring to later 1/32 Daytona series cars) were powered by Cox's newest in house "NASCAR" motor, a 16d size Mabuchi replica made in Hong Kong at what was called "Cox International", a series of squalid shops in which a Chinese mainland refugee named Kai-*** Ting made a fortune building slotcars for Cox, K&B and others."
The Super Cuc was powered by the Hong Kong sourced Super NASCAR motor, so perhaps the whole car was assembled there. In any case, it would be fascinating to know how this diecast came to be so many decades later. Maybe I can finally afford one!

·
Administrator
9,905 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
I know that True Scale does a nice repop of the Cuc, but don't know if anybody does a Super-Cuc... maybe Howmet? or the guy in the States, but haven't heard much from him lately....

Don

·
Registered
1,476 Posts
Don I wonder when they bring out the Cox Ford Galaxie in 1/43rd showing the body mounts? I have seen one in 1/32nd and a friend is trying to build at least the chassis in 1/32nd. I know these are not thingies and perhaps thats why the diescast manufacturers made these . So they could b get away without paying royalties??
Regards Allan

·
Registered
1,294 Posts
Hi Jaak , just back on the forum , and noticed your move to Brazil . Wow !!! So many moves to so many countries . When do you estimate you will reach Australia ? Hehe !!! Guess it doesn't matter which country you reside in, as long as the passion for slot cars is still there . Judging by some of the chassis you are producing , you certainly have acquired the master builder status . Your chassis absolutely blew me away . Well done mate . Zig

1 - 20 of 20 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.