SlotForum banner
1 - 20 of 25 Posts

·
Premium Member
1,923 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
Hi all

Here's another car that's close to my heart - the Porsche 907. The 907 was a key model in the progress of Porsche from class leader to top dog sports prototype constructor in the 1960s. It was also an iconic shape, with the 'Langheck' (long tail) and aggressive bubble cockpit shape that lead directly to the 917 and the prototypes of today such as the Le Mans Audis and Toyotas. You can see just how different it looked from the other cars of the day from these pics.

Car Land vehicle Vehicle Tire Wheel

The 907 first appeared at the 1967 Le Mans practice day and in the race it proved astonishingly fast; According to the Le Mans Bible by Moity "Jochen Rindt seemed to forget he had only 2 litres under the bonnet … Siffert was constrained to imitate him. This led to a merry dance … and the two Porsches revolved at 136 mph (average) among the works Fords and Ferraris". The Siffert car finished 5th behind 2 Ford GT40 MkIVs and 2 Ferrari 330 P4s.

Vehicle Car Tire Wheel Truck

I first saw the 907 at the BOAC 500 in '67 (my first motor race) and didn't really notice it that much because it was competing for attention with one of the best line-ups of Sports prototypes ever seen in the UK. Anyway, my heart belonged to Enzo, this was the final race of the World Sportscar Championship and Porsche were the only team that could beat Ferrari that year (a single point separated them). The sole 907 entered, driven by Hermann and Neerpasch finished 4th, behind the Chaparral 2F, the Stewart/Amon Ferrari P4 and the Siffert/McLaren Porsche 910, and ahead of two works P4s in a straight race.

I saw the 907 a couple of times again in 1968 then it slipped from my attention for more than 40 years until GMC released a beautiful resin model of the Le Mans cars. After completing one of these my thoughts turned to the BOAC car and I noticed for the first time that it was seriously different from the Le Mans cars. It had a 2.2 flat-8 engine instead of a 2.0 flat-6, lots of changes to air inlet/outlets, including a single bizarre periscope inlet at the rear and, most surprisingly to me, a short tail. Of course this made lots of sense for the twisty Brands Hatch circuit but it had escaped me and all the commentators I could find in the contemporary magazines and books. Here's the two versions - BOAC on the left, Le Mans on the right.

Wheel Car Tire Vehicle Land vehicle

and here's my build of the BOAC car. It's running on a Fly 908 chassis with MRRC 910 wheels and tyres - and it handles absolutely beautifully. The front axle needed shifting backwards a bit but most of the hard work is in the tail - lots of plasticard, three types of filler, huge amounts of filling, sanding, 'Oh, *-ing, re-filling, resanding etc. The weird periscope (brake cooling duct?) inlet at the rear was carved out of a blob of resin and the rear wing is a bent piece of catfood can!

Automotive parking light Car Automotive design Motor vehicle Vehicle

And here's the finished article, alongside the Le mans car

Car Vehicle Hood Motor vehicle Automotive design

Tire Vehicle Car Hood Truck

Car Tire Vehicle Hood Automotive design

Tire Wheel Car Vehicle Hood

The 907 never appeared again in the BOAC form - it was a unique car and I don't think it's ever been modelled as a slot car before, but maybe somebody knows better than me?

1968 brought new versions of the 907 and I'm planning to continue the this story.

All the best

Andy

·
Registered
977 Posts
Very, very, very nice !
Congratulations !

This is a very beautiful Porsche, the long tail model was reproduced by Faller (Germany) and Estrela (Brasil) in the 60's.

Are those ProtoSlot kits ?

Cheers !

André Acker.

·
Pete Shepherd
1,694 Posts
Really nice work Andy and well worth the effort. Funnily enough I was watching this today whilst researching a Lotus 47. You've probably seen it before but if not you'll love it!

I don't suppose from your memory if you can confirm that one of the Lotus 47's (Europa) was a light green? I'm replicating it for the PCS TT meeting.

Anyway great work, perhaps we could start a BOAC 500 thread? Not many people have modelled cars from it but as you say it was a famous race and the grid was fantastic. It was also the only time a Chaparral raced in the UK wasn't it?

Thanks,

Pete

·
Premium Member
1,923 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 · (Edited)
Hi all

It's a GMC body. Their website for the 907 is HERE. Watch out for their 1968 Le mans model - it has a very bad fault with the windscreen - it has the 1967 shape which is totally wrong I'm afraid. Also, the 68 Le Mans cars used much bigger wheels so they were wider and higher in the wheelarches.

Hi Pete - Yes - I've seen that video - Fantastic!. Actually I'd completely forgotten that there were 3 Europas in the '67 BOAC. I photographed the Lotus Components one (the white one with two periscope inlets) but had no memory whatsoever of the others! I found this b/w pic - you probably have too .... Lotus 32. If you look at these two there's a light olive green Europa near the back of the field and what's that next to the green Elan with it's bonnet up in the background in the paddock?

Car Wheel Tire Vehicle Land vehicle

Wheel Tire Car Vehicle Hood

Yes - I don't think any Chaparral raced here apart from the 2F in that race (but I could be wrong - I often am!)

All the best

Andy

·
Pete Shepherd
1,694 Posts
Andy thanks so much for the pictures, really helpful and it has confirmed the colour. When I mentioned it I didn't expect anything like your excellent response.

The video is great, I love Hugh Dibley driving through London in the Cobra and the commentary is so evocative of the period and nothing like Chumley Warner...

I really like the paddock shot of the 'Snorkel' car, is it the picture you took yourself?

Thanks again,

Pete

·
Premium Member
1,923 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
No - mine was rubbish - I was just a school kid with a Kodak Brownie! I think you can find them here I'll try and get some good scans of my pics up for you though, there's a few quite nice ones.

All the best

Andy

·
Premium Member
1,923 Posts
Discussion Starter · #19 ·
Hi Andre

Regarding scale, I don't know - I'll look into this. I've not noticed that Proto Slots are over scale, subjectively they seem OK to me and racers always seem quite a lot too big. Certainly, this 907 comes across as a small car.

Best wishes

Andy

1 - 20 of 25 Posts