SlotForum banner

1 - 20 of 26 Posts

·
Martin De Ath
1,440 Posts
Hi there all..

While walking around a boot sale the other day, I came across this Morris Minor "Walls" Ice Cream Van..

I looked at it, and straight away thought "how cool is this" (excuse the pun) what an unusual and fun slot car conversion this would make...

So for the pricely sum of 50p I took it home, and took it apart, ready to convert.

Now the front end is Die-cast and the rear Ice-cream section is plastic. I dont usually convert die-cast vehicles to slot cars, but this one was so different, I just had to do it.
It is also slightly larger than 1:32 scale, probably around 1:30th, but I thought "so what", its just a bit of fun for the kids...

Looking through my box of numerous chassis, waiting to be used. I found a complete Scalextric Calibra chassis with the correct wheelbase.
So with a bit of cutting with the Dremel, a bit of heat bending, and the making of a front body mount, there we are, one slot car "Walls" Ice cream van.

I also managed to retain the original wheels and front tyres, and fitted some softer rubber tyres (from the bits box) on the original rear wheels.
Also going to put in a suitable driver, and detail it up a bit more..

Had it running around the "Pendle" club track the other night. Much to my surprise and everyones amazement, it ran quite well, and driven carefully, did not tip over in the corners "much"...

Here are some photos... Enjoy..

All the best.. Martin.

·
Martin De Ath
1,440 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
stooo.. If I can find one, I will put a suitable soundchip in it.. great fun..

All the best.. Martin.

·
Circuit Owner
5,890 Posts
If it's the Saico "Classic Motor" model it will be 1:26 scale. Doesn't look too far off as the moggie isn't a big car.

·
Alfie Noakes
2,655 Posts
Nice one Martin! I saw these in a tacky seaside tat shop in Minehead a while ago, and nearly did the same...

QUOTE (Dave Sykes @ 27 Nov 2011, 15:27) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>Nice, so when you pull over into the pits every one else has to follow you in and form a que.

Pit Wall's ice cream?

·
David J
3,182 Posts
You're right, it made me smile.

While we're breaking out the puns and carp jokes I'll have a go...

Where did Jesus buy his ice cream?

Wall's of Jericho.!!.....

·
Martin De Ath
1,440 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
Kev.... "Would you like chocolate or toffee sauce or sprinkles", on that son.....

Martin..

·
Martin De Ath
1,440 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
DJ... Stockbrokers buy their's from "Walls" street...

Martin..

·
One petunia in a field of onions
6,455 Posts
Nice one Martin. I've looked rather longingly at the resin van at Pendles many times. Could never muster up to yours.

Needs a trail of kids to follow along behind it Pied Piper style.

·
Robb
581 Posts
Very neat conversion!

·
Premium Member
5,717 Posts
Another great conversion, I also note you have some rather good looking buildings behind.

Do you have a thread regarding those, could you do one if not.

Thanks

Colin

·
Registered
1,233 Posts
QUOTE (Ember @ 27 Nov 2011, 22:33) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>Needs a trail of kids to follow along behind it Pied Piper style.

ok lets set this clever clogs a test!

i´ve seen somewhere that they can make slot chariots with real running horses, how about a slot crowd of chocolatey kids running after the speeding icecream van. now that would be funny

love the moggy van, twas my first car
cheers sig

·
Russell Sheldon
2,855 Posts
In the late 1960s, Wall's Ice Cream sponsored a Lola T70 in the South African sports car series, which was driven by Doug Serrurier. It had "Stop me and buy one" written across the back of the rear spoiler&#8230;

Dennis Samson built a nice 1/32nd scale model of the car, using a vac-formed body:-

Kind regards,
Russell

·
Tony Condon
3,044 Posts
Hi russell
I seem to remeber that when DUREX sponsored the surtees of alan jones in the mid 70s it had written on the rear wing "buy me and stop one "

Cheers tony

·
Martin De Ath
1,440 Posts
Discussion Starter · #19 ·
Hi there all..

Sig... You have got me thinking now... "Slot Chariot racing".. That would open up new possibilities for a very unusual oval slot track...

Russell... The "Walls" sponsered Lola T70 looks "Cool" ..
.... Thank you for posting the photos..
With that slogan written on the back, I dont think the driver would have been very pleased if anyone had tried to "stop me and buy one" during the race..

All the best.. Martin.

1 - 20 of 26 Posts