SlotForum banner
1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
627 Posts
100% pure class! i havn't seen a DAF for years , let alone one ramp jumping in reverse. inspirational stuff. long time since i laughed so much!!! thanks for sharing that one.

·
Tony
2,834 Posts
Same here Pete, I can't remember seeing a DAF car in this country for 20 years, except the V8 racer. My mother-inlaw used to have an estate, awful cars. Forward to go forward, back to go back. Surprised they can get enough speed up to jump them

·
Jim Moyes
5,046 Posts
If I remember correctly, because of the Variomatic belt drive system, Dafs have the potential to go as fast backwards as they do forwards which is probably why there seems to be a heat just for Dafs and another for anything else.

I've done a couple of reverse gear races in Minis, and it's
difficult. Mainly because of the tears streaming down your face from laughing so hard!

·
Registered
2,509 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Looks like Mr. M has got it spot - on

(From Wikipedia)

QUOTE The variomatic was introduced on the DAF 600. Because the system does not have separate gears, but one (continuously shifting) gear and a separate 'reverse mode' (as opposed to a reverse gear), the gear works in reverse as well, giving it the interesting side effect that one can drive backwards as fast as forwards. As a result, in the former Dutch annual backward driving world championship, the DAFs had to be put in a separate competition because no other car could keep up. Thus, these very cheap and simple cars were the 'formula one' in this competition.

My Grandparents had a pair of matching "his-and-hers" DAF 46s as neither liked manual transmissions and I think this was one of the cheapest and smallest automatics that could be bought at the time.

Coop

·
Registered
538 Posts
Aaah I remember watching these on tele when I was a young lad. Great fun and yes, they went backwards as fast as forward, which was the reason for taking these DAFs.
And because they were Dutch cars, off course.

(Probably the reason was the other way around - being Dutch cars and cheap, they started racing them, and to make it more interesting and fun, let's do it backwards!!)

They did caravan races too btw, kind of like how they would be raced at Top Gear, not much caravan left at the end of the race. I reckon searching google for caravan races would give a few hits.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts