SlotForum banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Premium Member
2,699 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I painted my car with Tamiya white acrylic and applied the decals. My plan was to clear coat it with Tamiya's satin.

Now I have decided to paint on some coloured trim and the only paint I could find in the colour I want in is Testors enamel.

1/ Will it be a problem for me to use enamel paint for a bit of detail over the white acrylic?

2/ Will it be a problem to then spray the satin Tamiya clear coat over the whole lot?

3/ Should I clear coat the white car no and then paint the trim on top of that?

·
Peter Farrell
2,114 Posts
I often use an acrylic flat white as a base coat and have often used enamel paint as the top coat without any problem also used an
acrylic clear coat on top.
Peter
ps: I use an air-brush.

·
Registered
11 Posts
It's a comon practice with figure painting
They don't mix when wet but as long as the base coat has cured it should be ok although enamels take longer to cure.

Also if you clear coat the body pre-trim then it will be easier to remove/rectify any mistakes made with the enamel paint. A gloss varnish will also help decals to adhere, followed by another coat to seal them in.

·
Premium Member
2,699 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Thanks all

·
Nobby Berkshire
2,015 Posts
Sometimes Tamiya clearcoat destroys some decals.

Also, as a golden rule it makes life much easier to use the same types of paint and topcoat on each car. Mixing chemical formula and brands is always risky.

To be honest, you should really lay your paint layers onto some plastic and then apply a decal and then the topcoat to test how it all hangs together and whether you are pleased with the results. Then paint up your model.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts