SlotForum banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
256 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi guys just purchased a badger airbrush for spraying my models etc and what sort of ratio do you mix the paint is it 50/50

Also can i thin using water or has it got to be a thinning agent as i was told that water would be fine but would like this confirmed

i am using tamiya acrylic paints and also vallejo brands

thank you in advance paul

i

·
Julius Wilkko
935 Posts
Hi PAULH

Hope that you will be satisfied with your new Badger airbrush. I am using various Iwata models. Very hard to give you exact mixing ratio. So many things to consider. Paint flows better if nozzle is bigger. Also top/side feed airbrushes have better paint flow than bottom feed models. Used air pressure can also affect paint flow. I´d say you can start with 50-50 but you will have to experiment to find the thinning ratio that you find to be good for your airbrush and painting style. I have thinned Createx acrylics with water with good success so I don´t see why Tamiya should be any different.

Julius

·
Registered
256 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
QUOTE (lordjw @ 15 Oct 2004, 20:16)Hi PAULH

Hope that you will be satisfied with your new Badger airbrush. I am using various Iwata models. Very hard to give you exact mixing ratio. So many things to consider. Paint flows better if nozzle is bigger. Also top/side feed airbrushes have better paint flow than bottom feed models. Used air pressure can also affect paint flow. I´d say you can start with 50-50 but you will have to experiment to find the thinning ratio that you find to be good for your airbrush and painting style. I have thinned Createx acrylics with water with good success so I don´t see why Tamiya should be any different.

Julius

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

Many thanks for your reply i have just been experimenting with just water at the moment with some food colouring added so it is easy to see etc

and i am impressed with the results so far can wait to go live (with paint) and finish of my current project my newman porsche 962

i think i will have to get a mini compressor tho at the moment i only have a large can of propellent

·
Registered
2,070 Posts
Hi Paul

I don't find the mix too critical and usually just go 50/50 or a bit less on the thinner side. Tamiya do make a thinner specifically for their own paints, X-20A, and I think for a first effort at least it might be worth using the "official" stuff.

If you get into airbrushing big style a compressor is a real boon. Mine has an air reservoir and pressure guage fitted which is a great help in getting a constant pressure and consistent results.

·
Registered
256 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
QUOTE (JohnP @ 16 Oct 2004, 08:11)Hi Paul

I don't find the mix too critical and usually just go 50/50 or a bit less on the thinner side. Tamiya do make a thinner specifically for their own paints, X-20A, and I think for a first effort at least it might be worth using the "official" stuff.

If you get into airbrushing big style a compressor is a real boon. Mine has an air reservoir and pressure guage fitted which is a great help in getting a constant pressure and consistent results.
<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

been practicing as a said with some water a some green food colouring and was looking for something so i picked on the dog we now have a INCREDIBLE HULK bull mastiff lol

just wondering wether to put a top coat on him

·
Registered
256 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
sorry guys no pics of the devil dog my wifey made me bath him but watch this space halloween is coming and i have a cunning plan

·
Julius Wilkko
935 Posts
Hi!

While Paul is decorating and painting his dog
I´m posting here couple pictures of airbrushed cars. Hope that more people will get into airbrushing (cars, not dogs).

Used airbrush: Iwata side feed. Paint: Humbrol Enamels thinned 50% Cars were carp used NINCO 911 and Proslot Ferrari. Airbrushing gave the cars nice facelift.

Julius

1 - 12 of 12 Posts