SlotForum banner

1 - 20 of 20 Posts

·
Registered
1,426 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hey guys,

I'm back here with a new topic and a new question.
I know I ask a lot of questions, but afterall... I am a complete nOOb...

Last night I was thinking...
Real actual working starting grid lights should make the racetrack much more fun.
The grid lights shouldn't only be part of the scenery, but they would make the racing more amusing too! Instead of counting off, we could start at an actual green light...

So do you guys here have working start-grid lights?
If so... have you bought them in a slotracing-store? Or did you make em yourselves?

Greetz

G.

·
Registered
773 Posts
..have some, selfmade ;-)
I'm using them together with teh BEPFE-timing-system - starting gantry with 5 rows, each containig 2 red lights and 1 green light, working like in real F1

But I'll rework them and add some yellow lights too so a pace-car might be simulated...

·
Premium Member
4,213 Posts
Hi tDI_Fahrer

At one of the club i race at we use a couple of adapted old Scalextric (Hornby) Auto Start boxes

see

Slotcarportal

The lights etc are linked into the lapcounter etc.

We have a similar thing at another club

Bolextric

At this club the lights are linked from a DS start stop box and the lights are shown on a board on the grandsatnds.

SCX make a start gantry system that has count down lights and Scalextric used to.

Good luck

Gareth
NSCC

·
Registered
1,426 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
@ Thomas: do you have an electronics scheme of your starting lights?

I would like to make them myself too...

I want to make the starting lights in a bridge over the track, with three or four rows of leds:

- red
(- red)
- orange
- green

A while ago I saw such lights over a splendid two-lane track and it was superb!!! But unfortunately i lost the link.

G.

·
Brian Ferguson
3,652 Posts
If I'm not mistaken, F1 uses only red lights at the start. Five come on sequentially. All five stay on for, I believe, a random period of 1/2 to 3 seconds (or something like that), and the race starts when they go out.

I was planning a similar scheme, computer controlled and part of the timing software, with penalties for jumped starts. Yellow lights would also be there for full-course cautions. I don't think F1 uses green lights anywhere now?

·
Registered
1,426 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
@ Fergie:

The lights don't have to be exact like the F1 lights...
I don't have F1 cars and I'm not planning to buy some...
They just don't attract me like the touring and rally cars do...

So, i'd like to start at green lights!

But if you don't mind, if your scheme is finished, could i see it?

Thanks

G.

·
Brian Ferguson
3,652 Posts
Gunther, I didn't mean to suggest that you should use the F1 lights. But I think they get used at the F1 circuits for all other racing too?
I like the older systems myself. We can do pretty much anything on our tracks because there have been numerous systems used over the years.

You'll have to wait to see my system! The track isn't built yet!
Likewise though, when yours is done, please let us see how you did it!

·
Registered
392 Posts
We have starting lights on our track; the red lights go on one after one, then they are shut down and the green will come on, and so the power to the rails.

Ciao

·
Registered
209 Posts
QUOTE (tDI_Fahrer @ 19 Feb 2004, 18:59)@ Fergie:

The lights don't have to be exact like the F1 lights...
I don't have F1 cars and I'm not planning to buy some...
They just don't attract me like the touring and rally cars do...

So, i'd like to start at green lights!

But if you don't mind, if your scheme is finished, could i see it?

Thanks

G.
I know this is an old thread, but I have just decided to look for some way of starting races for my own track. I think most (possibly all) full size series now just use the sequential red lights and when they go out the race starts... Certainly F1, BTCC, Euro 3000 and even rallying on the superspecial stages use them... no green to be seen anywhere.

Has anyone got any circuit diagrams or know of any ready built starting systems available. I don't want anything too fancy, just something for the kids to use until such time as we can afford an all whistles and bells timing/starting system.

·
Gary Skipp
6,476 Posts
Scalextric had a start gantry during the 90's. Predictable though, never random.

SCX have a start light gantry too but I haven't managed tot rack one down

·
Registered
209 Posts
I found this whilst trawling the web Pelnet Starting Lights... Take a look at the .pdf file for more info...

BTW, I have e-mailed the author of this website (Perry Andrews) tto see if he got any further with adding the abort switch and the jump start sensors...

I will keep you posted if I hear anything...

·
Registered
2,587 Posts
We`ve got start lights hanging from the rafters at Phoenix. Large red and a green flood type bulb, very big and very bright! These are linked tio the computer software for timing and lap counting and the reds light up and then following a variable pause the green comes on as "Murray" shouts "GO!" "GO!" "GO!" The same sequence appears on all four large monitors aound the room. We use VRS software and it`s easily connected up to external lights.

·
Registered
4,634 Posts
I know they have this variable pause in F1 - but do all race classes? Personally i hate the variable time thing and don't see the point of it

·
Registered
2,587 Posts
It stops people counting in their head and then squeezing the trigger and jump starting the lights. Our variable start still catches a few out but most wait for the lights. Trouble is if one goes then they all go which would then make a start invalid. Our system is linked to individual lane power...jumping the lights costs you a five second stop/go penalty! All part of the fun.

·
Registered
325 Posts
If you use "Slotman" you can have that all!

In the helpfiles of the program you can find the links on "how to" sites to make the lights and more.

Greetz,
Martin

PS. you can reference my track article in the members layouts, see the:
Skipsleat International Raceway

·
Premium Member
3,083 Posts
At Mussel Bay we have a computer screen in front of the drivers which is linked to the race control system. It provides the 5 red light starting sequence complete with Murray Walker's voice - "1 light! 2 lights!..............Go! Go! Go!"

The time between the 5th light and start varies from 1 second to 9 at random. Jump starts incur a 1 lap penalty so not many people do it.

I hold the record for the best jump start - went on the 2nd red and managed to get all the way round before the actual start! We also have the occasional Murray Walker impersonator who says "Go!" and everybody falls for it leading to a restart.

Bring back Scalextric 'Starter On Rostrum' I say.

Brian

1 - 20 of 20 Posts