SlotForum banner
1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
1,166 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I cannot find the thread where some discussion on were started, however I would like some assistance in using an LED on leads on the current digital chip.
I have some broken SSD chips which I can use for donor leds. Would these LEDs work?

What is most important, is there a polarity to the pads where the O2 LED is soldered ? if so, can slot.it please indicate them?

Its only been a few months since system had been released, but we really need to have the LED on leads somehow. There was talk of a kit of part to allow users to do this?
Maybe we can use this thread for such discussions.

·
Vendor
2,940 Posts
Hi
Ok, here it is:
If you look at this drawing, which is a view of the O201a chip from the LED side, it shows the existing LED, its position and wiring

The LED we buy for the SP12 chip (SSD Slot.it) is as follows:

FYI, its a IRL81A made by OSRAM

In LEDs, Anode is +, and Cathode is -, so if you want to use a wired LED donated by a Hornby SSD chip, which is OK, use Red wire for Anode and Black wire for Cathode.

I advise to remove the existing central surface mounted LED on the O201a, because there is no guarantee that the LED on wires will work if put in parallel with the SMD LED, and viceversa.

I think that with these pictures and information, you should be able to perform the modification. Please be aware that guarantee does not cover such changes.

Let me know how it goes...

·
Registered
1,166 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
thank you for publishing the information.

I have a question for you: I though you were going to be releasing a kit with an LED on leads with the idea to allow customers with the skills to remove the solder to make the adaptation, or did I read wrong?
my question surfaces based on your comment around voiding warranty.

If make the modification, and the chip blows up or shorts somewhere and stops working, based on the fact I made this change it is completely out of warranty? - I like to change the wire that comes with the chips with something I like better. I wonder if that voids the warranty also - shouldn't

Please advice so that everyone is clear on the warranty policy, these chips are great but they are not cheap.

·
Vendor
2,940 Posts
Next chip, O201b, the small chip, comes with pads that you can easily solder LED wires to, and circuit to switch the on board LED off when a new LED is on wires, hence the kit with LED on leads for DIYers.
Incidentally, LED on wire will be used for yet undisclosed application.
With O201a chip, instead, putting the LED on wires requires removal of a SMD device, and unless you're competent and with proper tools, it's not that easy. You may end up damaging the board, or the SMD LED that you may not be able to put back.
That's why this operation cannot be covered by guarantee. I'm sure that a user which is good at soldering, and has a good, fine tip solder, firm hand and good sight, will do the above with no problems. However, we from time to time receive controllers or other parts that have really been abused.
Feel free to change the motor wires, as these are easily soldered and desoldered. However, common sense applies here as well: a competent user is not going to void the warranty, but if a big blob of solder drops on the board rendering it useless, well...
A condition that cannot be covered by warranty is short circuit of the two motor wires. this will fry your chip, is true for all similar devices that I know of (including SSD) and must be avoided.

·
Registered
1,166 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
ok I can wait 2 months..
Anything updates on the ligh kits that work with O2 or the wire kit for that matter?

·
Vendor
2,940 Posts
The new lighting kit (including the new cable and with improved rear lights) is going to be announced and available early in August. We are defining the specs of the new spares' kit which will include the wire.

·
Premium Member
2,389 Posts
Hey Maurizio

Two months have passed since the last post, any news on the 201b chip?
Checked the slot.it site for more news, but the pic's I find there look like an older model 201b, no sign of the new "pads" or a led on leads kit.
Secondly, you once mentioned a max distance (35mm) from guide centre <> led....
is there such a thing as a min distance?

With kind regards
Tamar

·
Vendor
2,940 Posts
Hi
The first preproduction samples of the chip was checked and is OK.
We expect to receive a small test run in three weeks - if chips are OK as they should, we can start selling them.
There is no minimum distance as long as the opening time for the LC driver is appropriate.
Pads are on the bottom of the board.
Extra LED (IRL81A made by OSRAM) will be sold separately, or you can buy it from RS components

Regards
Maurizio

1 - 10 of 10 Posts