SlotForum banner
1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Circuit Owner
5,913 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Following a link on SlotForum it lead me to the Aussie forum where there was a topic about SSD chips - particularly the in-car saloon chip. One comment was that, although Scalextric have the facility to connect headlights, rear running lights and brake lights wired to "pads" on the chip - they don't.

Further discussion revealed that the capacitor is not "man enough" to handle the extra drain when passing over LC's because Scalextric route ALL current , including power to the motor, through the capacitor.

My question:

Can the capacitor on the chip be replaced, or bypassed to an off-board capacitor or can the motor feed be made to bypass the capacitor so lights can be reliably added.

For scratch builders and modifiers who want to fit a full set of lights it's a bit frustrating that the capability is almost within reach.

I know I could simply draw power from between the pickup and chip for lights but that doesn't help with the brakes.

I know next to nothing about electronics but I can handle a soldering iron and have desoldered and replaced literally thousands of surface mounted resistors in medical devices in the past so I could tackle some re-enginering if only I knew what to do!

All advice gratefully received!

·
Prof I T
11,162 Posts
hi
i can say that i have seen a re-flashed rev F dpr chip run all the lights you describe,and as i understood there were no further mods done apart from the firmware update.

·
Circuit Owner
5,913 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
QUOTE (bigbird @ 23 Sep 2011, 19:19) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>hi
i can say that i have seen a re-flashed rev F dpr chip run all the lights you describe,and as i understood there were no further mods done apart from the firmware update.

Thanks for your reply.

Sadly my chip is rev E and I have no idea how to re-flash it.

I am guessing its not something I can do without a gizmo of some kind.

·
Prof I T
11,162 Posts
hi
for all the in's and out's it is best to read the thread started by mih about the in car firmware,mih is now mainly on auslot.com.

For the re-flash you need a pic programmer again this is covered in the above mentioned thread.

Happy hunting.

·
Living the Life&#33;
11,082 Posts
Mr Modifier ..... the Full Monty is available HERE.

I have flashed 29 chips (F1, Saloon & DPR) with v3.3 and have yet to have a problem with this version. So far, all of my capacitors have held up.

·
Circuit Owner
5,913 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
QUOTE (bigbird @ 23 Sep 2011, 20:33) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>hi
for all the in's and out's it is best to read the thread started by mih about the in car firmware,mih is now mainly on auslot.com.

For the re-flash you need a pic programmer again this is covered in the above mentioned thread.

Happy hunting.

QUOTE (GregK @ 23 Sep 2011, 21:17) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>Mr Modifier ..... the Full Monty is available HERE.

I have flashed 29 chips (F1, Saloon & DPR) with v3.3 and have yet to have a problem with this version. So far, all of my capacitors have held up.

Thanks gents. This is why I love it here!

Very helpful.

·
Premium Member
5,717 Posts
Ketto has also upgraded and added lights with dentate results, I'm about to start once the bits I need arrive.

On the topic of lights does anyone know if you can add them to the f1 chip r a dpr chip once it's removed from the plastic.

Finally, do slot.it chips support lights without the costly additional board?

·
Living the Life&#33;
11,082 Posts
Yes you can add lights to the DPR and the F1 chipsets .......... but ............... you have to be red hot to do it, have the eyes of a hawk, the steady hands of a bronze statue and the soldering iron of a pixie .......

View attachment 9052

This photo was one of RichG's, I believe.

·
Prof I T
11,162 Posts
hi
the mih firmware only supports scalex chips so you will still need a lighting board for slot it cars with a slot it chip.

·
Living the Life&#33;
11,082 Posts
Here are the connection points for adding lights to the F1 chip:
View attachment 9058

I do not know who the originator of this photo was

·
WRP World Champ 2015/2016
4,284 Posts
Hi Greg. Could you explain the wiring for us numpties - I'm thinking about dabbling and it would be really helpful in me getting a better understanding of whats going on (before I mash up a bucket load of chips!). Cheers.

·
Living the Life&#33;
11,082 Posts
s l o w connection ................................

·
Living the Life&#33;
11,082 Posts
Ian provides very clear instructions and photos on his website for the detailed "howto".

Essentially, you need to connect 4 wires to a chipset to enable programming. I do not bother with the +5v line as this can cook your chipset if you leave it connected for too long. If you have the car sitting a on a PB with a controller attached then all the power needed for re-programming the chip is safely available. Also, do remember to re-ID the car after flashing the chip as this process removes all previous information.

As you are replacing all of the Scalextric firmware in the chip, there are no problems with the older Rev F DPR chipsets other than the component layout they are now identical to a flashed Rev G chipset. Do be aware though, that the Analogue mode is now removed. This feature had the finger of blame firmly pointing at it as the cause for the "runaways" on full power. A minor example of which is the slight surge you see when you first place an ordinary digital car onto the track.

In terms of which are the easiest to flash the Saloon chips top the list as the connection points have plenty of space around them. The DPR is a bit more fiddly in that you will need to remove the black plastic floor first. The F1 has one quite tricky solder for the CLK wire and the F1 DPR has, so far, not been done.
View attachment 9066

With regards the neat head and brake light feature; this is only easily achievable on the saloon chipset. To activate it, you will need to add small pieces of wire to bridge the unmade R1, R2 & R4 resistor paths. Again, full details are on Ian's website. In posts 8 & 10, I have shown the work of other forumites who identified various points to connect lighting wires though in reality I do not think they are really feasible.
View attachment 9067

1 - 14 of 14 Posts