SlotForum banner
1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
1,195 Posts
Totally wicked! Ive said it before -- You da man!
I can't wait to do this! Im off to the shelf to see how many of my cars are suitable.

I guess we should all be thankful to Scalextric for the foresight.
woohoo!

·
Registered
1,195 Posts
Morning bleading edgers, Rich, dont know if you have a Scalextric mini, but wonder whether we could attach the rear light circuit board via same method?

·
Registered
1,195 Posts
Thanks Rich - thought as much.

Have finally found time to do a GT40 and based on the success of that a Fly 512 Berlinetta and Lola T70.

I've dreamt of this for a long while! Now to find some headlamps for the Fly classics.

(ferrari is showing tails and lola the brake lights)

In doing so found the Fly cars had a previous RevC board and that BK HL were not marked - had to figure it out myself.

After doing it twice I ended up putting my diode & resistor straight onto the chip and then running leads from those. Made for less connections.

Have to say thanks again Rich, wouldnt have happened without you!

And secondly it still mystifies the hell outta me as to why Scalex would release cars with lights and not use the available circuitry(?)

Off to shop for nice little rectangular leds tomorrow, the Coda Lunga and the Porsche 917s are just begging to be treated.

cheers

·
Registered
1,195 Posts
QUOTE (RichG @ 27 Jun 2005, 08:39)Here is something that you might like to try. As long as the Led brightness level is OK or too bright it can be made to work.

Remove the existing + & - wires to the board.

So no mods at all to the board, connect as shown.

If in Rear or Brake mode the Led's are too dim then this will not work. However if they are OK then we are done. If they are too bright in either mode then add a resistor in series with the appropriate lead.

Perhaps someone could try this & report back.
<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

Hi Rich;
I have tried this method and it works fine!
For some peoples' taste the Tail-light setting may be a little on the dim side ... But I think it is certainly a good differential between tails and brakes (works for me).

Also this method is much quicker (simpler) than the GT40 method (no diode or resistor needed), in my case I merely cut the pos + neg leads from the pickup shoes connection (this was an analog mini I converted), added a little length and connected them straight to the chip (HL and Neg). All I needed to do was then fabricate my brake lead (BK) and connect this to the bottom of the diode on the rear lighting board.

regards all

·
Registered
1,195 Posts
I threw a N4004 diode, a single resistor and 4 superbrite Leds into a circuit .
I used the F1 chip so I needed to feed them by splicing wires into pickup to put headlights and tailights in my Fly Coda Lunga.

I was tring to emulate the simplicity of the Scalex boards (eg GT40).
Works a charm.

·
Registered
1,195 Posts
Interesting - he has obviously purchased 2 cars.... chipped and lit one , a quick test and onto eBay.

SSD goes cottage industry.

·
Registered
1,195 Posts
Search back through this thread, I ask about wiring a MINI, Rich shows how, IM sure it will be very similar if not the same.

...and when you search back through threads you often find things you've missed, (talking to self here), as I did when I found this little gem from Rich i discussing the Slot.it board lighting outputs:

QUOTE The same almost certainly holds for the F1 chip, just needs someone to check it out.

I have wondered about this, must have a closer look. Tnx Rich!

·
Registered
1,195 Posts
QUOTE How can it be possible that a company can have such a good idea like making provision for lights including brake lights on a chip, then to never use them?

INDEED! Ive asked this many times, my hope now is that they don't, in time, discontinue the existing chips in preference for the plug'n'play variety. That would be stupidity in gift wrapping.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts