SlotForum banner
201 - 220 of 221 Posts

·
Digital Guru
11,266 Posts
hi

no the chip does not reduce the volts from 15v to 12,the motor runs at 15v. The packaging is a liitle confusing.

Car box states the car is 12v but a standard analouge set is 16v and a standard digital set is 15v.

Easy way to power lights on full time is to simply solder lighting wires to pick up or braid wires...

·
Registered
10 Posts
Hi,

if anybody is still interested in an answer about Voltage:

The APB C7042 is powered by 15V DC from the Transformer(s).
The APB converts that 15V DC into 12V AC with a digital signal (Maybe it is a little more than 12V AC, as it is most probably not a sinus-shaped AC but more a rectangular-shaped AC which can not be measured with a standard voltmeter).
This 12V AC is delivered to the tracks and available permanently.
The chipset in the car (I measured only one F1-chip and think the others behave the same) interprets the digital signal and delivers, if commanded so, up to 12V DC to the car's motor.

Other than Ade, I say that the motors are powered with up to 12V, depending on the thrust levers command. At least my Voltmeter says that.

Hope it helps,
Meikel.

·
Premium Member
647 Posts
Hi Rich G,
I am finally reaching that age where I clearly have too much time on my hands :)
Thank you for all the detailed information and sharing of knowledge. I am taking immense amounts of pleasure from just reading this forum let alone tinkering with the scaley cars and tracks.

I suspect you have moved on to tinkering with your Anki cars by now?

Thank you, and other followers, for the inspiration....

Best regards
Paul

·
Premium Member
86 Posts
Just wondered if anyone can clarify a couple of things as I'm about to attempt this mod on some easyfit chips.

I only intend to wire up the brake lights as I already have front sets connected so they're on continuously.

The cars I'm adding this to will only have a single rear LED on each side - NOT separate brake and light LEDs. I'll be using Adafruit super bright LEDs, not cheap but much brighter than standard LEDs.

Firstly, if I have brake set to dynamic how do the rear lights respond/function - are they always on, brightening under braking (release of the controller trigger)?

Secondly, does the easyfit mod require any resistors or diodes, if so does anyone have some pics showing where to add them?

Finally, can I control brightness of the rear lights - ie: the difference between rear lights on and brake lights on?

·
Premium Member
11,082 Posts
The Scalextric C7006 has pads where you solder wires on to operate brake lights, which were either on or off. This whole thread was how to make them imitate real life by being on as side lights that brighten when the brakes are applied. Since this thread was started, a simpler alternative has emerged and that is changing the chip's firmware to InCar-Pro as written by Ian Harding (MIH).

This works superbly well with the, now discontinued, C7006 Saloon chip. If you do not have any of these then there are possibilities to use the other Scalextric chips which involves soldering fine wires to the legs of the microprocessor.

Going back to the original questions above: if you follow RichG's example, always on but dim, brightening under braking. The brightness of the LED is controlled by the value of the resistor.

You now have two methods ...... but you must have the C7006 to avoid very tricky soldering.

·
Premium Member
86 Posts
No C7006's - not been able too track any down at reasonable prices. :-(

So I've been chipping my Carrera fleet with the easyfit C8515 chips - all flashed with InCar-Pro.

Planning to attempt the method described by Jochen (a page back), but just wondered whether that required any additional resistors/diodes and what brake light functionality I can expect.

·
Premium Member
11,082 Posts
OK ...... the output on the BL pin is ~5V so you will need a dropping resistor, I tend to use 100R and a diode to prevent any feedback into the chip.

The rear light will be on and will increase to maximum intensity under braking. This is embedded in the ICP firmware and can not be altered. If you have a Throttle-Pro or a Scorpius wireless controller then it is possible to switch the lights off fully whilst racing, just leaving the brake lights to function as you would expect them to.

Reactions: sealevel

·
Premium Member
86 Posts
Thanks for the reply.

I've got a couple of new Carrera GT cars to chip/add lights to this weekend, along with another three which have already been chipped but need the rear lights 'doing'.

Will add some pics to the "chipped" thread once done.

·
Registered
555 Posts
QUOTE (Maltese @ 17 Jun 2005, 20:55) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>Excellent, RichG!

Has no one else seen this on the chip? Were there Scaley instructions on hooking up the brake and headlights? Why would that not have been published?

You are awesome, RichG. Do you have an inside Scaley line or are you just figuring this stuff out as you go along?

Do the tail lights flicker when you go over the switch track/finish line?

-Maltese

Hi, Rich

QUOTE (RichG @ 17 Jun 2005, 21:08) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>Hi Maltese

I have absolutely no connection with Scalaxtric. I suspect they dread my every post.

I just enjoy working out how things work, then adding and improving. Slot cars happens to be getting my time at the moment.

The Aux port was there for the taking, and the Brake lights were likewise. I suspect intended for future enhancement.

No mention in the documentation, but the latest boards were even marked as you can see, although I had found it before then. Have been dropping hints in posts for weeks.

No flicker from the brake lights, expept when the driver indulges in a bit of left foot braking.

QUOTE (SinclairZX81 @ 18 Jun 2005, 03:22) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>Damn you Richard! Now I am going to have to wire all my cars like this!

Couple of questions (as always):

1) What about headlights?

2) What happens when you run the car on analog?

Hi RichG, Just found this topic of yours. Great stuff. I have about 50 of my cars I want to upgrade to front and rear + brake lights using leds. Your stuff on here is going to keep me ocupied for the rest of this winter. Well done. Best regards Happy new year. Bryan B.

·
Premium Member
86 Posts
Had a go at this with a C8515 chip last night and everything works

I used 0.45mm coated copper wire - soldered to the appropriate leg of the chip and then anchored to one of the corner holes.

I soldered on a surface mount resistor and cable to the LEDs and then a diode to the 0V pad.

I tested it and sure enough, under throttle the LED glows and under breaking it brightens.

Everything was then encapsulated in hot glue and tested again. The macro photo makes it look rather more messy than it does in real life&#8230; honestly.

Once I've finished the rest of of the installation I'll pst a video clip of it working.

Will this mod work on C7005 "solder in" chips? If so could anyone advise on the correct attachment locations - is it the same leg on the chip?

-----

Passive circuit component Circuit component Hardware programmer Electronic component Microcontroller

---
Circuit component Passive circuit component Hardware programmer Electronic component Electronic engineering

---
Passive circuit component Circuit component Hardware programmer Microcontroller Electronic engineering

Attachments

·
Premium Member
11,082 Posts
Nicely done ....... watch out for knobbing the micro-proccesor with the HG .......

As you can see, the processor is identical in all Scalextric and Slot.it SSD chips apart from the C8516 F1 DPR.

·
Registered
555 Posts
Hi, There are 12 years of mind boggling effort and 215 posts contained within this thread / topic by many members Rich G Greg K and many many more. Would it be possible to extract the blow by blow information in some way and bring it forward into one set or series of instruction and advise for lighting unlit Scalextric cars.

Having read and reread every post within the topic I found that all the old links are broken which is unfortunate. Could the information perhaps be updated to cover the latest Scalextric DPR saloon car chip; using say an addition of a mini micro JST 2.0 PH 4pin pre-wired M/F plug ; which fits the low spec impact resistant Scalextric cars such as the GT endurance cars supplied with the Scalextric 6 car digital Platinum set. I would love to upgrade all of my low spec DPR cars by installing lights with the choice of using LED or even bulbs. If it could be reasonably easily done. It would be a wonderful thing to put on slot car wiki as a how to do. I know a lot of slotters would love to have a go at fitting lights to their unlit cars:; I for one; if instructions were summarised into a basic how to do it.
question.gif
Bryan B.

·
Banned
1,694 Posts
I bought a 'W10550 Scalextric Spare PCB LED Lights Front & Rear for Maserati Trofeo' for the yellow Trofeo I bought that didn't come with lights. The rig seems pretty similar to those in a good few of my other cars.

Probably a naive question and a little of-topic but would it be possible to modify these for braking? Dim the LEDs for throttle and full power for braking OR adding in a LED for braking?

lights_zpskl3exrhc.png

·
Registered
555 Posts
I bought a 'W10550 Scalextric Spare PCB LED Lights Front & Rear for Maserati Trofeo' for the yellow Trofeo I bought that didn't come with lights. The rig seems pretty similar to those in a good few of my other cars.

Probably a naive question and a little of-topic but would it be possible to modify these for braking? Dim the LEDs for throttle and full power for braking OR adding in a LED for braking?

lights_zpskl3exrhc.png
cheers.gif
Hi Portals, You are not off topic at all. Thanks for your input. My earlier first reaction would have been to add another pair of led for brake lights. But I read somewhere on this thread that the rear red led can operate as a brake light also but I still am not sufficiently proficient to try it. I know for a fact that a wizard on here name of Greg K can answer your question straight off. Your post adds to my conviction that we need an update to the whole in car lighting guides if we can persuade some of these lovely guys to give it their valuable time and expertise.
cheers.gif
thumbsup.gif
Bryan B.

·
Registered
555 Posts
Had a go at this with a C8515 chip last night and everything works
smile.gif

I used 0.45mm coated copper wire - soldered to the appropriate leg of the chip and then anchored to one of the corner holes.

I soldered on a surface mount resistor and cable to the LEDs and then a diode to the 0V pad.

I tested it and sure enough, under throttle the LED glows and under breaking it brightens.

Everything was then encapsulated in hot glue and tested again. The macro photo makes it look rather more messy than it does in real life&#8230; honestly.

Once I've finished the rest of of the installation I'll pst a video clip of it working.

Will this mod work on C7005 "solder in" chips? If so could anyone advise on the correct attachment locations - is it the same leg on the chip?

-----

attachicon.gif
C8515_ca...ights_02.jpg
---
attachicon.gif
C8515_ca...ights_03.jpg
---
attachicon.gif
C8515_ca...ights_04.jpg
Hi, Could a Mini Micro JST 2.0 PH 2 pin pre-wired plug be glued to the board or to the white Scalextric one, and serve this purpose as it might be easier or neater and un-plugable. Don't all LOL at once please.?
question.gif
Bryan B.

201 - 220 of 221 Posts