SlotForum banner
1 - 5 of 5 Posts

· Registered
523 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I just received a second set of controllers, power base and power supply.

If I place an analog car on the digital rails, I notice that the rails have constant full power. Since the power is common between lanes and is distributed even without controllers, I SHOULD be able to attach the second power base to my track and receive another 1.5 amps. That would be a total of 3 amps which should be enough to run 4 cars well. It seems that the power on the rails is DC. This signal to the car is multiplexed and the chip must just tell it how much power to draw.

Opinions? Any problems with doing this?

· Registered
523 Posts
QUOTE (astro @ 9 Nov 2004, 01:14)Probably massive problems!

If both powerbases put a carrier signal on then they will interfere with each other.

If Carrera digital works in a similar way to DCC, then the first powerbase will be sending signals made up of + voltage and - voltage, the - voltage will be cancelled out by the other power base

Depending on the circuitry and protection of the powerbase design, the bases may not like having power fed into them at their input, and hypothetically could be damaged
<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

SO I assume the preferred method would be to combine the power supplies in parallel before feeding to the power base? This way the only problem could be that the power base cant accept 3amps. I suppose I should wire a fuse inline.

Edit: But you know what? I'm going to try my first proposed solution and be a guinea pig. I'm willing to take the risk i might fry one or both of the power bases. If it doesnt work, then I dont need the second power base anyway, and im willing to bet that im dealing with such small amperage that it wont damage anything.

· Registered
523 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
QUOTE (Maltese @ 9 Nov 2004, 01:53)Hmmm. If they are smart, and only if they are smart the control unit just accepts the power and IT spits out the coded values vs. power stuff.

I've known DCC to do the +push Left and -Push right using A/C power. I got a kick in the pants from Tropi stating that the same can be done using DC only and this is not how DCC worked. I do know that some DCC systems are A/C, I have schematics. And I am sure you can push DC down either rail by reversing the polarity on the rails at given intervals as well. I am not sure what Carrera is using, though.

If I were a betting man I would think that the power packs (if separate from the control units) are not smart enough to control pulses and such would be managed by the black box. But, don't sue me. Perhaps a oscilloscope would be of use here. It would be a sad day to have to resort to such wizardry just to make a car go around a track and change lanes.

-Maltese
<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

The power is not AC because an analog car runs full throttle when you put it on the rails. I'm guessing that the chip accepts the input and then based upon a multiplexed digital code will draw a % of this and send it to the motor.

In fact, the analog car will run even if you dont have any controls hooked up which indicates the power is sent straight thru the power base into the rails (in I think unadultered form - I can check with my ammeter)

I think my solution will work.

· Registered
523 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
QUOTE (jeep @ 9 Nov 2004, 19:36)Iam using a 10 amp 15 volt power supply and the black box for about 20 hours now with 4 cars most of the time. So far so good. The power must go it to one black box, hooking up two did not work or running to the track with out the box did not work. Also running less than 12 volts did not seem to work . Will let you know if it goes up in smoke
<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

Thanks! Thats what I like to hear.

· Registered
523 Posts
Discussion Starter · #18 ·
QUOTE (indianasteve @ 20 Nov 2004, 07:29)Does anybody have a recommendation on a aftermarket power supply for the pro X

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

Sure, check ebay for pyramid power supplies. They have one that is around 20amps and adjustable from 5-15volts. FOr around $100.

You can get a samlex 5amp fixed 13.8V for aroun $30-50 also from ebay.

More amps is imprtant when you get more cars on track you wont feel power drain from their actions. The smalex i mentioned will work great Adjustabilty is a nice feature because you can modify the speed of the cars.

I just bought a loko 30amp 6-18V supply. I would have gone with the pyramid but spent a little more so I could go up to 18V just to experiment.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.