SlotForum banner
1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
68 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi

At work we have semi-regular racing nights where everyone can show up for a Le Man style tournament with scalextric GT cars. Last time we had 12 people in 6 2-driver teams...lots of fun.

Next time we will have and open race, with all types of cars allowed.

I am looking for a good car for the open race. Remember this is 3+ driver digital with very competitive/ruthless drivers, so the car must be able to take some hits without falling apart.

I have thought of the following possibilities :

1) buy a scalextric Porsche Spyder or Lola, drop in a DPR chip, put on a pair of Slot.it p6 rear tyresand race...I've got the tires and the chip so this is easy and cheap
2) Buy a Carrera car and convert it to SSD. I'm thinking of a Porsche 935 or one of the can-am cars. Carrera cars tend to be slower but very solidly build and double magnets make them harder to bump off the track.
3) Buy a slot.it car and chip ( please suggest car too. I like the porche 956/962 but I'm open to suggestions ). Slot.it cars drive very well, but can they take the hits of digital racing ?
4) Buy a NSR car and a slot .it chip. I would love a Porche 917, but this option may be overkill

Thanks

Lindgaard

·
Circuit Owner
5,913 Posts
Hi Lindgaard,

you don't say what sort of track you are running. I assume Sport track but is it very twisty or do you have lots of fast straights? This makes a difference to your options.

On my track (20 metres, one long 4metre straight, the rest a mix of R1, R2 and R4 turns) a slot.it with magnets will lap only 0.2-0.3 seconds quicker than a standard Scalextric Super Resistant F430 (albeit with copper braids and trued urethane tyres).

I wouldn't go above 25,000rpm on this type of track and no more torque than about 200gm/cm - it depends on whether you are able to profile the throttle in software.

My Slot.Its and MRSLOTCAR.CA cars feel too flimsy for full-on aggressive digital racing. My Slot.It RAW R390 is almost undriveable on my track - even with a magnet fitted - the motor is just too aggressive and will slide the tail out with the smallest of blips on the throttle.

You could consider putting an uprated motor into one of your super resistant GTs and fit either a modded SSD chip (there's a mod you can do to increase the power it can handle before burning out - by uprating the capacitors I think) OR modify your car to take the Slot.It chip which will handle more powerful motors.

If you like the solidity of Carrera and the double-magnet option then maybe you could upgrade the motor BUT remember the Scalextric Super-resistant GTs all have two magnet positions so you could add a second magnet to an existing car - or simply stick a second magnet directly on top of the existing one in any car.

I guess you need to decide whether you want to be fast enough to keep ahead of chasers and stay away from trouble - or hold your car with loads of magnetic down force so you become very difficult to push off. Of course - if you can get lots of down force AND speed then you can simply snowplough the opposition off the track. Don't expect to get invited back again though!!!

The more I think about it the more I can see that a completely open digital racing class is a recipe for lots of broken cars and toe-to-toe arguments. Digital racing is way more of a contact sport than traditional analogue racing. When we race it is rarely the person who posts the fastest lap who actually wins the race. Consistent driving and timing your pit stops to keep clear track ahead of you is the best strategy - and it helps to be aware of crashes so you can change lanes to pass through.

I am really interested in what you eventually choose and how the open class racing turns out - don't forget to let us know!

·
Greg Gaub
14,987 Posts
I agree that rules keep things fair. But, if you have an open class like that, just make sure everyone is aware that open classes usually result in "spend to win" competition. Also, when you're talking about magnet racing, it usually includes more and more magnetic traction coupled with faster and faster motors. Eventually, cars will be able to fly around a small track in less than a couple seconds without letting up the throttle.

You might consider an open class, but make it magless. At least then, speeds don't get as much out of control. There's still a spend to win competition, but the cars are usually still visible when moving, and damage when crashing is much less severe.

Carrera cars are great, but they won't compete with a Scalextric LMP, Slot.it anything, or NSR anything with magnets (or without, for that matter). Run Carrera cars with other Carrera cars.

Slot.it are super easy to chip, as long as you get the kind that take SISP12 (Group C and most GT cars), and NOT the kind that need the unreleased SISP15 (Classic and some GT).

NSR are fantastic cars, well worth the money and I suggest every racer have at least ONE NSR car in their collection. They're a little harder to chip than Scalextric or Slot.it, though. You'll need a high power chip like the slot.it chip, or an upgraded SSD chip, preferably the latter due to size.

·
Registered
68 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Thanks for all your good advice

I think we will make the open race "open to all Scalextric cars". . . makes things easier and eliminates "spent to win".

regards
lindgaard

·
Greg Gaub
14,987 Posts
That will definitely rein things in a bit.
I'd go for any Scalextric LMP/Endurance car. My Peugeot 908 HDI FAP test car is stuck down and super fast. I can run that thing full out on my track with only letting up a couple times for the tight turns or at the end of my long straight after it has gained a bit of speed.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts