SlotForum banner
1 - 20 of 37 Posts

Registered
Discussion Starter · #1 ·

Hey guys,

These are our fastest cars on our current track configuration which is a digital arc pro Scalextric setup of about 25 meters. These three cars are our top fastest cars atm with there current setups in them. Mostly running a predator 22.5k rpm green bell motor with rear slot.it running gear in Scalextric cars.

My question is what would be some other cars to suit our track that you think would go faster? Also yes before you ask we run magnets and lots of them. So what lols.

Thanks guys

Brendon

Digital Guru
Surprised your not blowing chips with that much mag 馃く.

Riko is currently working on high output mod for the Arc powerbases , they might be worth waiting for 馃槈.

In the meantime better tyres,trued and sanded will reduce laptimes , but it gets to the point where you can just hold the throttle wide open and do.a lap, soon becomes boring 馃槾..

Registered
The most natural next step up would be Slot.it. Of course, they'll have to be chipped, but with a set of their P6 tires on the rear ( Slot.it's Scalextric track compound) and a few minor adjustments, I doubt you'll find the need to add any extra magnets.

Registered
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Ade, yes some of my cars I can already do that. Hold it wide open except for that one major hairpin.

Backintheslot, yes mate have several slot.it cars already. I have a skyline, the Audi r18 e-tron 4wd and had the gtr Nismo GTR but it drove like a pig no matter what I did so I literally just sold it off.

Rougejackal, I've actually been thinking about getting an NSR R8 as I already have two scaley Audi R8s. A mate of mine did lend me his NSR GT40 but it was in very poor condition and didn't handle very well on our track at all.

Rougejackal how do you think the NSR R8 will handle on our track or do you think the Mercedes GT3 would be the better choice? Also I purchased an NSR wing thinking it would fit ether two of my scaleys I own but sadly it doesn't. Do you think the NSR R8 wing will fit the Mercedes GT?

I do currently have a spare slot.it SP15c SSD Scalextric chip so I was really trying to find an NSR car that had a flat empty floor to mount the chip as well as being a really good performer.

Anyways thanks for the help guys. I think it's NSR I'm looking at then. Just need to decide on which car is right for our track. Ideally I would like a car that I car purchase a seperate white body and airbrush it.

Registered
The fastest magnet car that I have is a slot.it chaparral 2E. You can see it run on Greg Gaub鈥檚 YouTube channel under Mike鈥檚 magnet cars video. It鈥檚 chasing a slot.it McLaren canam car.

Mike M.

Registered
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Pulled the pin on the NSR R8 guys as it was on special for $89 AUD and it's the sidewinder version. Got a whole bunch of other stuff as well. Going to put a Lexan cockpit in it and put a secondary IR LED on the slot.it SP15c chip and more then likely mount the chip up under the leaxan cockpit

Greg Gaub
You're conflating good performing cars with high mag downforce cars. Performance cars like slot.it and NSR are not designed for 1000+g of downforce like the cars you're running. NSR chassis are WAY too flexible for the number of magnets you run. Slot.it chassis will also probably bow under that much pull. You might like some Carrera cars. Their chassis have plenty of room for extra magnets as well as a digital chip of pretty much any kind. After putting all your extra magnets in, replacing the motor with something fast enough to overcome that much drag, and some tires that hook up on your track they'll probably hang on the way you like. They do tend to be on the heavy side, but I'm sure a lexan cockpit will help with that.

Do you have any way to measure the magnetic downforce of the cars? If not, then you really don't have much to go by other than whether you can hold the trigger down without crashing. If you invest in a Magnet Marshal, you might learn a lot more about why some cars perform "better" than others.

Registered
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
I only plan to run two of the stock round magnets in the new NSR R8. I don't see an issue with it. Didn't know the magnet police would be along again. It is what it is. It's like a kid putting training wheels on his bike. Until they know how to ride well, then the training wheels stay on don't they. Once I know how to drive the magnets will come off as well.

Don't want to hear about it again from you please sport ok. It is what it is. Get over it. Simple. End of story.

Kevs Racing Bits
He was offering sound advice not criticising your preferred choice of mag racing. Standard NSR chassis with the number of mags your using will rub on the track as they have very little flexural strength.
...and if your long term goal is to 'learn to drive' to eventually remove the mags, the best way is not fit them in the first place as mag cars don't drive anything whatsoever like gravity cars.

Premium Member
The fastest magnet cars on our club track (Ninco track) are the Scalextric FF-motor F1s. Our outright record is held by a Renault R25 using NSR F1 rear tyres that squash down and put the magnet even closer to the track, meaning you only really have to lift off for R1s.

Not remotely satisfying to race, and if anything causes the magnet to break contact you need to buy a new car, but there is something of a challenge trying to maintain hand/eye coordination 50% faster than regular cars.

David H
I only plan to run two of the stock round magnets in the new NSR R8.
With just two stock magnets, I doubt that an NSR R8 (or any other NSR car) will beat your current fastest cars, because lap times in your situation are mostly a result of magnet strength rather than chassis and component design. Firstly the standard black NSR chassis are quite flexible, so with two magnets fitted you'll run the risk of the chassis dragging on the track, and secondly two round magnets are unlikely to beat the strength of two or more of Scalextric's thickest bar magnets, although from memory I don't think the thickest bar magnets fit under the FF motor in Scalextric's F1 chassis. I think you're stuck with the stepped magnets.

If you still want to try NSR, it's worth considering using their green chassis, which are stiffer and so might solve the flex issue.

Many years ago I raced at a club that had a magnet class and so built a mag-downforce measurer. The difference in magnet strength between visually identical Scalextric magnets was huge, so if you don't already measure each magnet, start doing so, then fit the strongest magnets available.

driver#8's suggestion of a Scalextric FF F1 is excellent, so I'd try that first, but you might also like to try Carrera F1 cars too. They have stiff chassis and powerful magnets, so potential for being pretty rapid.

Registered
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
Look I apologise to you Mr Flippant. But it seems every time I post on here. It's like here's the guy that uses a million magnets in his cars again. Well this is the way it comes across to me anyways.

Didn't we all have to start somewhere? Haven't we all made mistakes? Like I said I'm not club racing. It's me basically trying better my lap times and that's it.

I will take on board what you have all said here but I'm truly feeling really depressed about it all now. Thought this was all meant to be about fun. But not feeling that way right now.

Premium Member
Running traction magnets is one way to improve the grip of a car and its ability to resist the centripetal forces generated by cornering.
The downside of extra magnets is extra drag.
As Ade mentioned you can enhance the grip further with better tires and tire prep.
If this results in a car that can be run flat out through most corners..adjust the gearing
Weight reduction will improve lap times as well, less mass = better acceleration etc. etc. etc.
Every bit of tuning that works on a magless Slotcar will work on a car with traction magnets.

You want to know which cars will be faster than your current cars? Your current cars with more tuning ;)

With kind regards
Tamar

Kevs Racing Bits
I started racing Slot cars in 2015 after 37 years of R/C car racing, I'd never driven a Slot car before but did know that throttle and braking are the opposite ends of the throttle throw and quickly got the hang of it. catching someone took a couple of weeks, winning a heat took a couple of months, winning a class outright took a couple of years...but I never once drove a car with a magnet in as our club doesn't allow them. We even have a magnetic effect limit of 25g which means high mag motors need steel shim on the bottom of the motor.

Mag racing has one big advantage, no laborious tyre prep.

Registered
I started racing Slot cars in 2015 after 37 years of R/C car racing, I'd never driven a Slot car before but did know that throttle and braking are the opposite ends of the throttle throw and quickly got the hang of it. catching someone took a couple of weeks, winning a heat took a couple of months, winning a class outright took a couple of years...but I never once drove a car with a magnet in as our club doesn't allow them. We even have a magnetic effect limit of 25g which means high mag motors need steel shim on the bottom of the motor.

Mag racing has one big advantage, no laborious tyre prep.
Actually tire prep is still part of it as you can adjust the tire diameter to the minimum to get the most magnetic effect. I used to use PG urethanes for that reason. No judgements here as I still race with magnets with one of my friends, but even he has turned down the power( magless 50 on rcs or about 12v.) to keep from destroying his cars. Another thing to consider is that all magnets are not created equal. I just purchased 2 scalextric cars, both with the same magnets and one had 62 grams of downforce and the other had 142 grams. So the magnet marshals use can be as a tuning tool not a judge. As previously stated you want stiff chassis, round wheels, sticky tires and the least amount of weight you can get away with for the best performanc. The NSR stock chassis (black) is often not stiff enough, so you need to buy a green one for stiffness. I would recommend slot.it cars which can be made faster with less investment than the NSRs. The best investments you can make to get fast cars are a good controller, an adjustable power supply, a tire truer and a magnet marshal. Then tune the cars until you get them as fast as you can WITHOUT magnets and add them only enough to go as fast as you can without causing drag on the straights. Good luck and have fun. Don鈥檛 worry about the naysayers. Most of us are here to help, but we do have opinions which you can take or leave.
PS If you鈥檙e running digital try running pace cars wit stronger magnets against tuned cars to give you a baseline on which to compete. That way you will know if you鈥檙e tuning worked.

Mike M.

Registered
Discussion Starter · #18 ·
Thanks guys, your making me feel better about this whole thing now. I will see how this NSR R8 performs out of the box with or with out the two magnets. I also ordered an NSR suspension kit. I find the slot.it skyline works well with the suspension kit I have installed into it. I do have a wide selection tyres here available. So I can play around with those. I do have a slew of slot.it spare parts here so I can mess around with some gearing options.

I do have a mate near by that has a tyre truer that I might be able to borrow for a few days as he's flat out atm with work and life. I will look into this magnet Marshall thing as well.

I live in a fairly rural area of Western Australia so it's not like I can walk into a store and pick up what ever I want. So my only means of getting parts is online. At best most of the it takes a week to two weeks for the parts to come.

So I'm doing this all with my very limited knowledge of slot cars. This is why I come onto these forums to pick the brains of the experts. Although it just gets dishearting to here "oh no he's running magnets". Guys who the f..k cares. It's no skin off your nose. It's me against myself ATM. Sometimes when I can muster up dad to race me the we have a race and have a great time.

I think I'll look into getting a Carrera car next as I do love some of there lambos. I may have to purchase one of the scaley F1 chips to wire into one as I looked up the wiring diagram a short while ago.

The last couple of comments have restored my faith. Thanks guys.

Might sell off my slot.it Audi R18 E-Tron 4WD to fund my next project.

David H
"oh no he's running magnets". Guys who the f..k cares. It's no skin off your nose.
Well said.

Ignore those who do nothing other than criticise your use of magnets and just concentrate on enjoying what you enjoy. You're probably in a minority on this forum in being a user of magnets, but that shouldn't stop you asking for advice. Because of the dislike of magnets by many - I'm not a fan either - there will be fewer people able to give you up-to-date personal experience and advice than there would be if you were running magless, and a lot of us will probably encourage you to experiment without them too, but as with all advice, read it, discard that which you're dubious about, and enjoy learning by experimenting.

Any forum is only as good as its contributors, so the more we have, the better this one will be. Keep on posting.

Greg Gaub
A Magnet Marshal is a great bit of kit, but it can also be quite expensive. Since you're not racing with a club where you need to stay under a specific number, the number itself only matters for comparison purposes.... and so you can just MAKE a magnet marshal. Get a scale, some scrap wood, and a spare piece of track. Make an apparatus that holds the rails of the track steady, so that the car pulls down on something else that transfers to the scale. If you search for DIY Magnet Marshal, you'll probably find several examples of home made devices. The more precise your apparatus us, the more accurate the readings will be, but again... it only matters in as far as the measurement doesn't change for the same car when you check it two times in a row. Then you can put all your cars on to get their magnet pull, and see how much the magnets really are determining which cars perform better than others.

Here's an example I found in a quick search:
Table Wood Gadget Gas Machine

Found here: Magnet Marshal or similar

1 - 20 of 37 Posts