SlotForum banner
1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
230 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi have just started to work and build bits, it’s been 40 odd years since I last did this.
I have glasses for reading but they don’t help on small stuff, any recommendations
would be appreciated as there seems to be various aids out there.

·
re member
4,383 Posts
I have a selection of el cheapo reading glasses from the dollar store. They go up to approx x 4 magnification but I find x 2 or x 2.5 adequate for my needs.....because you have to either stand up or look for another tool or something so I just push them up onto my forehead.

And you lose a pair or break a pair?....el cheapo to the rescue

Reactions: Wobble

·
Registered
965 Posts
I brought a magnifying glass with a built in LED light that clamps to the bench , there's a small selection on eBay at reasonable prices , I use reading glasses as well, makes a great addition for the scratch builder.
John.
Font Line Output device Parallel Audio equipment

·
Electric model car driver
1,681 Posts
I usually use el cheapo +1.50 and then when I want to be really sure I go to el cheapo +2.25 although I'm starting to think another pair higher up the range might be worth getting too.

·
Registered
90 Posts
I have several headband magnifiers, and they are all useful. But this one has proven to be the most useful.

Deluxe Lighted Headband Magnifier

Aside from having two magnifier plates, which can be used separately or together, it also has a flip-down loupe for even more magnification. The battery-powered lights can be helpful.

My only beef with this setup is I too frequently forget to turn the old-style incandescent lights off and find the batteries dead when I next go to use it. LED lights would be better, especially with an automatic timed off function. Maybe there is another brand of headband magnifier out there that has those features, but I haven't seen one yet.

Ed Bianchi

·
Registered
501 Posts
Best option for your eye health is to speak to your optometrist about a pair of specs with high magnification lenses for small work. I did this, and it was great, except that I can never find the things when I want them. When they're being particularly elusive I resort to an Optivisor binocular headband magnifier, which does the job.

Beware cheapo combined desk lamp/magnifiers. I bought (a not even that cheap) one a few years ago and the lens is so poor it's pretty much unusable due to hall of mirrors grade distortions. I'm not saying they're all like that, but definitely try to get a look through anything you're considering before buying.

·
Registered
14 Posts
I brought a magnifying glass with a built in LED light that clamps to the bench , there's a small selection on eBay at reasonable prices , I use reading glasses as well, makes a great addition for the scratch builder.
John. View attachment 313960
Why didn't I think of this when I was trying to do a fiddly bit on mine? I have one of these and never thought of it when I was trying to push some braid wires back in on a car I'd bought an undertray for. Thank you for the idea.

·
Registered
965 Posts
Why didn't I think of this when I was trying to do a fiddly bit on mine? I have one of these and never thought of it when I was trying to push some braid wires back in on a car I'd bought an undertray for. Thank you for the idea.
Your welcome, after I brought it I thought why hadn't I done this a year ago! The light is great to, has a dimmer and 4 different types of light , which I never thought I would use but I have on different jobs!
John.

·
Registered
14 Posts
Mine doesn't have a dimmer to be honest; just a tube light; but will come in handy; I bought it for painting soldiers of all things. It's about to get a new lease of life repairing old Scalextric cars. :)

·
Registered
3,947 Posts
Mine came from Amazon UK and I think it's only the plastic lens holder that's different and then only in design, even got the same box of lenses. I've also get a table mounted adjustable magnifier lamp bought years ago from Maplin but but never used it much due to the heat from the candle light bulb but it's now got a new lease of life with a LED bulb. As I wear varifocal glasses I asked the optician for a separate pair of glasses for close up work which spend a lot of time in my race box. The lamp is fitted to my small work bench but the head band is useful when away from the bench.

It's horses for courses, the glasses are great for doing general car repairs and builds. The magnifiers great for getting the grub screws in and the head band with glasses is for real detail work and figure painting.

1 - 14 of 14 Posts