SlotForum banner

1 - 20 of 33 Posts

·
Tony
2,834 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have decided to give a SLot.it car a try and would like some advice on what to buy. Our track is a large flat routed MDF track with braid and no tight corners. I would prefer an angle winder unless I'm told in lines are better. I will probably change the tyres to sponge as that is what all my other cars are on. Also what upgrades to the standard car would you suggest. Trouble with SLot.it cars is that they look to good to race.

·
Registered
173 Posts
I have all the Slot.It cars, actually more than one of each. Pick the one you like the best and go they are all very good. Like any other car make sure to take the body off and check the car before you run it.

Jim

·
Registered
9,719 Posts
That will at least avoid the whole business of motors with deliberately leaky magnetic fields.

As for what to get I would contact a chap who goes on here by the name of fw14b. He will be co-running the national series for Slot.its next season, and it makes total sense for you and your club to use the same rules that will, and buy accordingly. If anyone at your clubs wants to enter that series at any point in the future, you just flattened your learning curve considerably....

·
Registered
834 Posts
Group C; I haven't run my Lancia LC2/85 yet. The older Porsches had a few issues. The rest are good, but these are my faves:
Porsche 956KH, Toyota 88C- both seem to be easy to set up & drive on plastic or wood
Jag XJR9, Lancia LC2- both good, but I needed a bit more tweaking to get them right

GT:
F40 & McLaren can both be excellent, the Audi as well

Classic:
If you can find an F312PB, you will love it! The Alfa is also quite good.

There have been rave reviews on the Lola, & I have seen some absolutely obliterate other modern LMP's; i haven't run mine yet as I am not thrilled w/ the new guide system.

Not all Slot.it cars can be set-up AW, & most seem to run best SW. Slot.it doesn't offer a huge range in AW gears, either. The Slot.it website has very good info.

Their cousin, the Racer/Sideways Daytona Prototypes are great runners, usually a little quicker than the Group C cars.

·
Damien Straw
562 Posts
QUOTE (Bigtone @ 8 Aug 2012, 04:06) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>Trouble with SLot.it cars is that they look to good to race.

They are only too good to race until you get your first scrape, missing mirror or busted wing. After that it's no holds barred, full on, flat out and never mind the consequences!

Damo.

·
Tel
4,032 Posts
If I were you, If you want a real race livery, wait until the Mclaren GT1 thats just been announced in the news section is out. If you are not bothered about a livery, get a Nissan R390 RAW

All Slot.It standard cars are inline 21.5k shortcan, except for the classics like the GT40, Alfa 33, Ferrari 312, and Chaperrel which are sidewinder 21.5k shortcan.
The new Lola and the soon to be released new version Mclaren come standard with flat 6 in anglewinder. IMO thats best option for wood tracks with non magnetic braid or copper.
All the RAW cars are Flat 6R (22.5K), although I believe all have 0.5mm offset pods, the new Mclaren and the Lola have 1mm ofset pods with 20.5K Flat 6 motors.

I am unsure what Martin917k means, I have no problems getting the right gearing for anglewinders from the Slot.It range ??

I do however agree with the reservations about the guide system on the Lola, with some tinkering you can give it a certain amount of self centre, although not as positively as a regular guide, and as of yet there are no specific wood track (deeper) guides available for it. IMO if you are club racing, having a self centering guide is very important, the easier a marshal can put you back in after an off, the less time you lose

If it wasn't for that, I would have said to get the Lola. Its a very capable slot car and once there is a deep guide available and you have managed to get it self centering its a stormer.

That said, any of the group C's/GT's will be able performers standard once you choice of tyre has been fitted, so if another car takes your fancy, go for it !

·
Registered
538 Posts
Of my few Slot.it's the Audi R8C is the quickest and nicest to drive even in inline, It's quicker than my angle winder Nissan 390 with a lot of extra bits thrown at it.

Should be able to find a white quick reasonably cheap, think I paid about 25-30 quid for most my white kits.

·
Lee Green
1,995 Posts
QUOTE (martini917k @ 7 Aug 2012, 22:12) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>Group C; I haven't run my Lancia LC2/85 yet. The older Porsches had a few issues. The rest are good, but these are my faves:
Porsche 956KH, Toyota 88C- both seem to be easy to set up & drive on plastic or wood
Jag XJR9, Lancia LC2- both good, but I needed a bit more tweaking to get them right

GT:
F40 & McLaren can both be excellent, the Audi as well

Classic:
If you can find an F312PB, you will love it! The Alfa is also quite good.

There have been rave reviews on the Lola, & I have seen some absolutely obliterate other modern LMP's; i haven't run mine yet as I am not thrilled w/ the new guide system.

Not all Slot.it cars can be set-up AW, & most seem to run best SW. Slot.it doesn't offer a huge range in AW gears, either. The Slot.it website has very good info.

Their cousin, the Racer/Sideways Daytona Prototypes are great runners, usually a little quicker than the Group C cars.

I would say different to Almost everything this guy says..

·
Registered
18 Posts
If you are racing LMP, there is absolutely no choice whatsoever - buy the Lola B09/60. It is a superior design and the motor is simply awesome. It truly rocks.

Now if the category is GT, then wait a few days and buy the new McLaren F1 GT-R "Fina" livery. It will have the same drivetrain as the Lola B09/60.

If Group C is your cup of tea, I strongly recommend either the Jaguar XJR6 Silverstone winner or the Toyota 88C. They are both excellent cars. You can also swap them out to a CH74 motor pod and Flat-6 motor.

While I have not purchased the new Alfa T33/3, I do have the #148 car. It has the can end drive, the EVO6 chassis and a very bright, eye-catching yellow and black "MotoRadio" livery.'

·
Registered
872 Posts
Buy the latest version of the latest model produced (not the mclaren as its a new version with some upgrades of an old model).
It will have all the latest mods and advances in technology (even better motors in the case of NSR... see early GT3 cars and the latest ones)

For Slot it , the one to buy is LC85 Martini .. looks nicer than the West one, but specs are the same.
The LC85 is also the lightest of all the Slot It Group C cars.

Also unlike the LOLA it will take all motor layouts and typesl.

G

·
Bigtone,
nearly all the Slot It range run well but an awfull lot depends on which kind of motor/mount combination you wish to use.
If using an open can and a 1mm lowered anglewinder mount then a great deal of "magnatraction" can be gained, especailly if you true your tyres a little, and this set up can be extremely quick altough racing like this requires less skill. Every Slot It car will perform well if set up in this configuration but a Sauber or Mazda can be hard to beat.
As you may have noticed, there will be a Group C Slot It challenge series next year (this can be found in the events section) and we will be using standard cars with only minor changes allowed. In this configuration and racing on Ninco, the new Lancia and the Toyota are the cars most favoured.
There is no definative answer as opinions will vary but the Mazda has probably been the most successfull car in the Slot It Challenge over the last 2 years and very few use a Nissan, Audi or Porsche so i think this gives a strong clue as to what to use/
If your club allows, glued,trued and oiled F15's take some beating on MDF.
Hope this helps a little.

·
Tony
2,834 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 ·
Thanks everyone for the advice, fw14b our track has cooper braid so magnets don't come into the equation and we don't allow tyre additives, just lighter fuel fo cleaning. I will use foam tyres, specifically Ingram type from SCD, the grip is fantastic, too much for some cars. Looking through the Slot.It range, I think I have fallen in love with the Ferrari 312PB and the Alfa T33/3. Two of my favourite racing cars, but which one, ho hum

·
Premium Member
2,143 Posts
Give Wonder foam tyres [by Alpha I think] a go, they are not as soft as normal fish rubber so last longer, easier to true and the grip might suit plastic cars running on MDF tracks better.
ABslot or SCD should have them.
[oneofwos]

·
Registered
9,719 Posts
QUOTE (Bigtone @ 9 Aug 2012, 08:10) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>Thanks everyone for the advice, fw14b our track has cooper braid so magnets don't come into the equation and we don't allow tyre additives, just lighter fuel fo cleaning. I will use foam tyres, specifically Ingram type from SCD, the grip is fantastic, too much for some cars. Looking through the Slot.It range, I think I have fallen in love with the Ferrari 312PB and the Alfa T33/3. Two of my favourite racing cars, but which one, ho hum

Does the peripatetic series fw14b runs interest you, or your club? If it does that should influence what you buy and what you use for rules at the club.

·
Premium Member
2,699 Posts
I love all Alfa 33/3s too so I bought the #148 Trento hill climb car as that is what I have for a track. It is my first Slot It and all I can say is WOW! What a car and especially given the price point. It runs as well as my NSR 917. Now I know why so many of you are raving about Slot Its.

I am so sick of RTR cars that sound like they are grinding their guts out. The 33/3 came smooth, quiet and fast right out of the box. How do they manage this?

I gather that #148 and all future 33/3s have a bit of a radical motor set up but whatever, I love it and I haven't even started to tweak it with a bit of weights. I did thrown on urethanes, as all my other cars have them, but even a quick few laps with the stock tires was impressive.

1 - 20 of 33 Posts