SlotForum banner
1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
1 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi everyone,
I'm looking at buying a track for my five year old (and myself obviously
), and since I haven't even looked at a scalextric for at least 20 years, I've got a few questions.....

1. Is Scaletxtric the best bet. I like the fact I can buy more track later, and buy new cars when they (invitably) break. There are some better looking sets in places like Argos, but I can't see them lasting.

2. Can you alter Scalextric cars to make them easier for young kids. Some items on eBay suggest I could slot a magnet on the bottom - don't know if this fits all new cars or if I need to glue it on.

3. I like the look of the Crash & Bash set, it may not be 'real' racing but it should keep him entertained. Will the cars just get destroyed in a few days? Also, if I can put magnets on, will the cars still be able to make the jump?

Just looking around has put a smile on my face! Feels like 1980 all over again

Cheers,
Dave.

·
DT
5,195 Posts
QUOTE (daveboynton @ 12 Jul 2004, 14:33)I'm looking at buying a track for my five year old (and myself obviously
),
That's what quite a few of us have done

QUOTE Is Scaletxtric the best bet.
There are many points to take into consideration, and this is open to debate, and it will probably open a can of worms, but you can't go wrong with a Scalextric set. Remember that the track is compatible with all current 1:32 slot cars whatever the brand. So if you find a nice Fly Car Models car or a Carrera, you can run them all.

QUOTE I like the fact I can buy more track later, and buy new cars when they (inevitably) break. There are some better looking sets in places like Argos, but I can't see them lasting.
They do last quite well. A Bash 'n' Crash set is designed for bashing so it's obvious that you're going to get damage. You don't have to go down that route.

QUOTE Can you alter Scalextric cars to make them easier for young kids.
Yes, check out the rest of this forum for tips.

QUOTE I like the look of the Crash & Bash set, it may not be 'real' racing but it should keep him entertained. Will the cars just get destroyed in a few days? Also, if I can put magnets on, will the cars still be able to make the jump?
They do have magnets. They will be fun and they probably will get destroyed. That doesn't stop you starting a collection. You can add cars for your kids and you can buy a few for yourself. Something special that is just for you.

QUOTE Just looking around has put a smile on my face! Feels like 1980 all over again
Yep, we're all smiling

Excuse all the quotes, but it's an easy way to reply to all your questions

·
Registered
317 Posts
Hi Dave,

Welcome to the forum, I don't think that there is a best bet really, its all down to the individual at the end of the day. I use Scalextric, but thats because I always have... There was a time when I didn't realise they was any alternitive. Personally I quite like it, I have rarely been disapointed with the product.

The Scalextric cars will come with a fairly strong magnet, sometimes more can be added if nessesary.

The crash and bash set should keep you both entertained and the cars should be sturdy enough to survive awhile (they are pretty basic and tough).

Hope this helps, however I'm sure other members will give you some good advice and other points of view.

·
Registered
1,024 Posts
Welcome to Slotforum.

You see Scalextric everywhere in the UK which makes it very easy for Grandad and Mum and Aunts and Uncles to buy Birthday and Xmas presents.

And they have a very strong customer service department in the UK.

These can be the most important factors for a lot of people.

The Flying leap will work very well with the cars that come in the "Bash N Crash" set (I have it myself) but remember that you do not have to use the accessory as it is optional and sits on the track.

The most important accessory in my view is a lap timer/counter and it could be worthwhile looking for an offer or set that includes this accessory. However, you do get a lot of fun pieces in the "Bash N Crash" set and cars that are pretty durable.

Moped

·
Registered
2,493 Posts
well,
for home racing I would suggest that Scalex is easiest track to work with as it connects easier, for those that know me routed is a bit difficult first time and carrera has those finger stinging clips.

So that's Scalextric track wise. (get the biggest set
)

But car wise I think that the scalex car tend to be a bit on the fragile side for kids, so I will suggest that SCX cars would be a good option for your next car purchase as the speed is a little more tamed and they are a hell of a lot of fun without magnet

otherwise Mister Nuro up there has got quite a bit.
Also I would suggest having a look at club racing when you have got used to it all again! great experience.

·
Gary Skipp
6,537 Posts
Car Advice:
Most 2000 onwards scalextric (any brand really) cars have strong magnets anyway which will make them easy to drive for the young uns. These are removable if you want some tail-out action, but for helping them stay on the track leave them in.

For extra magnet downforce, button magnets are your best bet. They fit a wide range of chassis, an can provide extra downforce in addition to the standard mags.

Track Advice
Any 1:32 brand, Scalextric (sport), Ninco, SCX or Carrera are all pretty good. Scalextric sport is porbably most practical, allthough it does buckle and warp fairly easily so keep it out of the sun and don't elt anyone step on it. Ninco and SCX are pretty expensive, and Carrera sets dont have much track. That said, the Carrera track is very good; strong, wide and good electrical conductivity.

If you want a larger layout:
Get a 'layout 4' scalextric sport set (about £120)
or
Get a carrera evolution set and an extension pack (about £110 together)
These are both available from GetSlotted.co.uk

Crash and bash wise, the cars are fairly strong. They will suffer some knocks but they wont be completely totalled within a few days.

·
Mark Wain
479 Posts
the only problen ive ever had with scalextric is that you realy need the run off areas otherwise with cars with less magnet they just plop off the edge! (or hit the barrier)
very annoying when your pulling off an overtaking move on the outside!!

·
Alan Tadd
4,039 Posts
Hi Dave

Welcome to the Forum.

Some very good advice has been given in the replies you have received so far.

Just take your time, take at look in the shops, look at the Internet Suppliers and read this Forum, it's the best on-line resource you could wish for.

Regards

Alan

·
Premium Member
11,082 Posts
Hi Dave ....... welcome to the Forum

That smile of yours will turn into an insane grin when you give digital racing a go ...

·
Premium Member
11,082 Posts
Start 'em young .... 20 years is nothing on the slotting time line ....

·
Premium Member
11,082 Posts
but Ember ........ I am a very slow reader, which is why I look at the pictures .....

1 - 14 of 14 Posts