SlotForum banner
1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
221 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi

With Bathurst coming soon and a mob coming I'm keen to set up a separate analogue track just for the kids, I live in the great world of digital where lowering the power for the wee ones is easy.

However for this day I'd like to set up a separate track so they can "knock themselves out" on their own track and the big kids get the shed track.

I've got a complete Bathurst Thundering V8 Set still in the box (minus the cars) and a few Disney cars for them to use.

My question is, what is the method other people have used to cut the power down so the little ones are not de-slotting all the time, could a variable resistor be put in line on the output side of the standard transformer to drop the voltage and would this work?

Anything that's worked for others would be appreciated.

Thanks

Marty

·
Living the Life!
11,082 Posts
Another trick is to limit the travel of the throttle lever. Drill a small hole through the lever and insert a short peg so that the lever can not be fully squeezed ...

·
Registered
440 Posts
G'day Marty,

I had tried 2 different options for slowing down the kids on the analogue set up before I went digital. The first was using different transformers that I had laying around which had the correct size fittings for the sports powerbase (3-6-9-12 volts) and the standard scaley 16 volt transformer. These worked ok but I found the easiest one without spending next to nothing was to drill a few holes in the hand contoller trigger and put a small nut/bolt in one of the holes as a stop, change the stop to another hole position for different power options, not rocket science but it worked. So much easier with the C7042 Advanced Digital Powerbase now though.

Matt

*As Greg has said, I just type slow though.

·
Registered
2,368 Posts
I have a cheap old style blue, single track model railway controller that I initially used for my portable routed rally track. It is the kind that used to come with train sets back in the 60s. It allows adjustment of speed and change of direction. It worked so well that I use it on my Carrera GO racetrack for car testing as well.

Regards, Lloyd

·
Registered
3,585 Posts
QUOTE (Marty @ 24 Sep 2012, 08:23) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>My question is, what is the method other people have used to cut the power down so the little ones are not de-slotting all the time, could a variable resistor be put in line on the output side of the standard transformer to drop the voltage and would this work?
Diodes put in line on the output side of the standard transformer work better than a resistor wired in there.
For slightly more serious racers, diodes in each lane between the controllers and the track is better, but for little ones at a public display a single set of diodes on the output side of the standard transformer should be good enough.

The other ideas suggested above should be OK too.

·
Registered
141 Posts
Diodes are preferable to resistors and it is possible to build them in to controllers or in line boxes shown hear.
Each silicone diode will drop the voltage approximately 0.7volts, and while 1 Amp diodes should be OK, I would recommend that you use 3Amp diodes as they will have much better heat dissipation. Placed in line with the power supply would be fine and if you combine with a ON/OFF/ON 3Amp toggle switch it is possible to have options for two voltage reductions or Full power.

·
Registered
221 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Hi

Why is the simplest solution the one you never see, the idea of a few holes in the trigger is so basic.

I'll try that first up, bottom line is the kids will probably still want to use the the digital track anyway.

Many thanks for the ideas.

Marty

1 - 7 of 7 Posts