SlotForum banner
1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
110 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi all,

Well I have quite a lot of scalextric sport track which up until now has been great fun.

However, I have decided, (along with the kids), that we are going to build a semi-permanent layout in the garage and that I am going to take the plunge and go DIGITAL! Woop Woop!

So, really just after some advice on the best way to do this in terms of value for money. Let me explain.

I obviously want the ability to change lanes, I would love the pit stop feature also. I like the idea of the 6 car base unit but that seems very expensive and something I could perhaps upgrade to in the future.

Whilst I have existing analogue cars, they have been used to death and therefore it isn't worth converting them to digital.

So, am I best off buying a new digital set and adding it to what I currently have, (although i have a lot of track already), or should I buy the separates?

Also, can anyone recommend some decent digital F1 cars?

Thanks for your help, and apologies for rambling on and on!

·
Registered
25 Posts
I've just done this, I also have a semi permanent track - 6 months of the year.

I:
Bought a 6 car base, I considered the cheaper one but this way I can use all my cars without having to convert them all.
2 Power supplies
3x XLC
2x CLC
A pit lane - but no pit lane game.
4 controllers
About 15 chips.

I got that lot over about 5 weeks. Spending has now ceased..........

·
Greg Gaub
15,105 Posts
I guess it depends on your budget, but honestly, the new 6 car base is the best and most important thing to get. That, plus two controllers and a couple cheap power supplies will get you up and running. As budget allows, add car chips, lane changers, more controllers and cars and such.

·
Registered
110 Posts
I've just gone over to the dark side and I bought an older Porsche Challange set on eBay for £50, which comes with the older 6 car power base, and it'll only cost you £20 + p&p to have it upgraded to pbpro. I'm also going to be running an analog power base (using relay) so tat I can still use my analog Cars.

As MrFlippant said it all depends on budget, you could go the cheaper path as I have or go the whole hog and get the new apb.

I've manged to convert to digital at a cost of so far only £100 which included the porsche Challange set (giving me 2 CLC, 2 digi cars, 2 controllers, 1.5 6 car PB and some extra track.) a pit lane(including 9 pit straights) and a pit lane game.

So for less that the cost of the apb I've manged to get a heck of a lot more.

Just my 2 pennies

·
Greg Gaub
15,105 Posts
You got quite a deal, though. Even used that's a great deal.
It's certainly worth looking for great deals like that, but you can't really plan on them or budget for them.

·
Registered
110 Posts
QUOTE (MrFlippant @ 15 Jan 2012, 16:01) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>You got quite a deal, though. Even used that's a great deal.
It's certainly worth looking for great deals like that, but you can't really plan on them or budget for them.
True i think they just came along at the right time for me.

·
Registered
110 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Hi all,

Thanks for the replies so far.

So, ive been doing some more thinking etc.

Started clearing out the garage today, and i measured out the space I believe I can sensibly have for a layout, which is an L shape.

The dimensions are 4 metres x 1 metre, and the 1.5 metres depth at the other end, (so basically the "L" will only be an additional 50cms.

So, do you think this is a decent enough space for a half decent layout? I have lots of straight track already and loads of R2 curves, (i believe they are the standard radius ones).

I dont mind having elevated sections with track running underneath etc to maximise the space.

I plan to also still be able to store things underneath the layout that still need to be in the garage, but I think I will definitely have to fit draft exclusers to the garage door and the rear door to the garage also to minimise dust. Power is already there, so that is all good!

Anyway, your thoughts on this update would be great as I am really just at the planning stage and need loads of input!

Thanks all...

·
Tore
1,699 Posts
4 X 1 is not too bad.

Here is an example of a 4 meter Scalextric track that is 1.5 meter deep on the left side and about 1 meter deep at the rest.
Gives you space for a nice wide radius 4 turn that leads onto the back straight.

Lane length is about 16.5 meters (55 feet). It would need to be adjusted for SSD though.

Tore

·
Registered
110 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
QUOTE (356speedster @ 16 Jan 2012, 13:41) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>4 X 1 is not too bad.

Here is an example of a 4 meter Scalextric track that is 1.5 meter deep on the left side and about 1 meter deep at the rest.
Gives you space for a nice wide radius 4 turn that leads onto the back straight.

Lane length is about 16.5 meters (55 feet). It would need to be adjusted for SSD though.

Tore

Quite like the look of that track although i would have to mirror it so that the 1.5 metre section was on the right.

On the lower section it looks like a pit could quite easily be fitted too which would be good.

Does this use mainly r2 curves?

Thanks again...

1 - 9 of 9 Posts