Slot Cars Forum banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
18 Posts
I am trying to decide on an adjustable power supply to replace a Mastech 30amp 18v that I foolishly sold.
It was a nice power supply.
I know the Pyramid is popular but my question is will 15V be enough for future developments.
Personally I don't think I ever used more than 12V or 13V with my Simple H setup.
And I never saw more than 5 amps or so being used. But if you wanted to see immediate speed increase just turn the volts up just ever so slightly...wow!

The Mastech in topic was a switching type power supply. The only complaint I had on my track layout / set up was power surges at deslots. My track setup would have been considered medium length, 3 lane changers, nothing out of the ordinary and usually only 4 cars.
But I did have power surges and that was surprisingly disappointing, made it to to toy like IMHO.
It was the 1st round of simple h that was lower amps which could have been a factor or could it have been the switching type power supply which I think is slower than linear type.
I am in unfamiliar territory here (switching type, linear type) but a stable power supply with no power surges at deslots is very important.Thank You
Johnny Walker

·
Premium Member
10,109 Posts
You had all the right ingredients - power surge should have been completely eradicated. So there was a problem - difficult to diagnose now but if you had high resistant joints around the track then that could have caused that effect.
15V is plenty for me. Only wacky Australians needed 18V or more....

·
Greg Gaub
14,638 Posts
Hehe, yeah.. I'm with the 15v is more than enough crowd. Much more and you risk blowing components, anyway... so I've heard. Besides, most of the time I'm turning the volts DOWN, not up.

·
Registered
3,568 Posts
Hi slot32
You say your cars take a maximum of 1.3 amps and you have 3 amps per lane? It sounds like you are talking analogue - is that correct? (The lanes aren't electrically separate in digital)
If you are talking digital then the answer is at least 1.3 amps time the number of cars you want to run at once.
If you are talking analogue, that is enough current per lane.
If you have a stabilised power supply and have wired it correctly there will be no power serge issues in analogue (although there may be in digital).
A power supply that can supply more current is fine, although it would be wise to fuse individual lanes in analogue (in digital all the lanes are the same electrical so they cannot be fused separately .

You don't say what cars you have. Measuring maximum current is a little tricky, some commonly used ways of measuring current underestimate the maximum. However, 3 amps per lane is probably more than enough if you are only measuring 1.3 per car

1 - 8 of 8 Posts