SlotForum banner
1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
110 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi all,
Be gentle this is my first post, been reading a heck of a lot and now decided to ask a question.
I'm in the process of upgrading my analog track to digital.
I have a semi permanent layout, in which I mean I have multiple 4x2 boards with track fixed to and when I want it up I just put together the puzzle.
Any who.
If just bought a lane change challenge set for £50 and thought that would be a good start, I'm also in the proses of thinking about the pit lane game (thoughts? Pro no pro?)
For the PB (when it turns up) if its a v1.5 I'll be sending it of to be pro'ed. If not then goes on eBay and I get the APB.

I've been Looking at power options for the PB pro and I came across these on eBay:
No. 1

No. 2
Both appear to be regulated and both are 10A 12v output.

I'm not a serious racer just a guy who likes to have fun with his mates (usually after a few)

Any thoughts and or feedback greatly appreciated.

Darren

·
Prof I T
11,196 Posts
hi
best to decide wich pb you are going to run before choosing a psu as they both use different jack plugs.

As far as the pit lane game Vs pitpro goes you need a pc running a suitable race management program to be able to use the pitpro,but it does add excellent realism to a track.

Wich ever pb you decide on it is also nice to have adjustable voltage as well.

If you stick with fixed voltage the most common one seems to be 13.8v ,12v on the apb might be a little to low as these units are designed to run @ 15v.

·
Registered
3,589 Posts
Hi Darren
Some power supplies are quite happy running loads like slot car motors, some just shut themselves down when presented with that sort of load. Unfortunately just having the right voltage and plenty of amps isn't the whole story.
I have I've spent quite a bit of time trying to get the second sort of power supply to work as slot car power supplies, unfortutely some persist in shutting down when presented with a slot car motor.
I'd say it would be a good move to check out with the supplier that those supplies that they really are suitable for slot car motors before buying.

·
Premium Member
702 Posts
Like Ade (Bigbird) says decide which powerbase you want first.

I use this with my PBPro-SH and will use it with my power modded APB soon.

It is a great, resonably priced variable voltage PSU!

·
Registered
110 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Thanks for the replys, I think the general census is to comfim which PB I'm going to use.
As for pc connectivity, I have the joy of having a dedicated machine already set up which is currently running the scalextric rms system, so pc wise I got no probs, just need to trial some digital programs.

·
Greg Gaub
15,387 Posts
My opinion only, so take it for what it's worth... I doubt your PB will be a 1.5. As such, it would need the whole Simple-H upgrade, and at this point, I don't think that's worth doing. Instead, assume you'll get a 1.2 C7030. Plan on picking up a C7042 APB the next time you see a good deal on them. Between the stock PLG and Pit-Pro, there's really no contest, BUT... you have a perfectly good set of sensors and computer output in that old C7030 base. It's just as good as pit-pro, just without the flashy lights (which some don't like much anyway) and was the original pit lane in/out sensor system. There is a guide on here to help you split the track pieces, and the PB from the track if needed, removing the power wires from the PB to the track so that the base is purely a car sensor that sends that information to the computer. Other than the cable, which you'd also need one of for Pit-Pro anyway, this would be a free DIY project. That's about all the early C7030 bases are good for since the APB came out.
As for power, well, use the PSU that comes with the set to run your pit in/out base, and pick up a beefy slots-capable PSU to run the APB. The most popular one in my area is the Pyramid PS26KX, which is adjustable volts and high amps, and works great. That Rapid one that ss67 linked looks pretty good, too, and he can clearly vouch for it.

·
Registered
3,589 Posts
Quite a few UK slotters use the Rapid unit ss67 recommends, they work well as a track power supply and I've always had excellent mail order service from them.

From what I've read the Pyramid PS26KX works on a 115V AC, 60Hz mains supply - just what you want in the USA. For use in the UK you'd need a version that works on the UK / European mains supply voltage / frequency - do Pyramid make one?

For UK based racers there's something to be said for a UK supplier (Like Rapid) - sometimes imports come it without attracting the tax man's attention, increasingly often these days you get a bill for the tax / import duty.

·
Greg Gaub
15,387 Posts
I don't know if Pyramid makes something for the UK area. I mentioned it for stateside peeps reading this thread. For Darren, I think the Rapid unit, or something similar, is the way to go. As I recall, there were some posts in the APB power thread, or other similar threads as this one, with a remarkably cheap PSU that worked well. As I recall, Rich and/or Riko picked one up and said it was pretty good. The brand (if there was one) escapes me, though.

·
Registered
110 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
I'm trying to do what every one is doing balancing cost with quality, for me usually cost wins slightly.
I should be having a knock on the door tomorrow from postman pat, then I can figure out if I'm going to keep the c7030 or sell it for the APB

1 - 9 of 9 Posts