SlotForum banner
1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
18 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have some NOS AFX non-mag pancake chassis' that I would like to complete, using more or less OEM parts. I've collected a lot of what I need, except the 15T rear axle crown gears.

I see Dash and a few others offer TJet gears, but they aren't the same - the hub on the tooth side extends farther out.

For the AFX style there isn't a whole lot out there on the big auction site, so I am asking about the AW crown gears which come in packs of 6. Is the quality comparable to the original gears?

Any other suggestions?

-OldTjetGuy

·
Rich Dumas
4,114 Posts
The Aurora A/FX and Magnatraction chassis both use the same gear plate and crown gear. I could not find a dealer that has NOS Aurora crown gears in stock. A JL/AW X-Traction gears would be OK if you only wanted to get a car running. Several other makers have CNC machined crown gears that will mesh OK, but they do not look like the originals.

·
Registered
1,105 Posts
The cross section of the crown gear's hub is the controlling factor. It provides the bite on the axle and helps control the lash. If you remove excessive cross section from the hub in order to modify a gears application, you reduce the bite.

For a 9 tooth pinion the gear mesh moves in towards the chassis center line, and the shoulder faces out board towards the chassis rail.

For the 14 tooth the pinion mesh moves out towards the chassis rail, and the shoulder faces inboard towards the chassis center. The advent of the 14 tooth pinion necessitated moving the hub to the inner "tooth" side of the gear.

The "tweener" 12 tooth hop up pinion uses an out board shoulder that is noteably reduced from the 9 tooth. You'll frequently find vintage hop up gears are sloppy on the axle.

·
Registered
18 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
As it turns out, around the time I wrote the original post I found a listing on the Bay for a set of gently-used AFX crown gears and managed to win the auction. So now I have 12 crown gears for just under $10. Now to pick up a few more misc. items such as tires and I'll be ready to start assembling the NOS chassis', and also do some refurbishing on existing cars pulled out of storage. I'll end up with more chassis' than bodies, so I guess it's back to the Bay...

Thank you all for your feedback!
-OldTjetGuy

1 - 7 of 7 Posts