SlotForum banner
1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
116 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Does anyone know how to get an old (vintage) Aurora AFX magnatraction chassis to stop with the annoying squealing or what the culprit might be? I've done everything except literally dip it in oil and yet the squeal persists. I have several that do this which were usually supplied with cars purchased on ebay, so I'm guessing they didn't see a lot of maintenance during their glory years, but they still run and are a fun chassis to drive when working properly, but after a few laps the constant screech immediately has me reaching for something else. What's the problem?

·
Registered
946 Posts
Try putting one drop of oil on the bottom of the chassis where the motor armature shaft is inserted into the chassis. Be sure not to use too much oil to prevent the motor brushes from getting oil soaked.

Also, apply one drop of oil on the other side of the motor armature underneath the gear where the shaft goes thru the top plate.

Best regards,
Brian

·
Premium Member
2,574 Posts
QUOTE (bswan72 @ 24 Aug 2009, 15:13) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>Try putting one drop of oil on the bottom of the chassis where the motor armature shaft is inserted into the chassis. Be sure not to use too much oil to prevent the motor brushes from getting oil soaked.

Also, apply one drop of oil on the other side of the motor armature underneath the gear where the shaft goes thru the top plate.

Best regards,
Brian

This usually works for me.

regards

Tony

·
Premium Member
2,574 Posts
QUOTE (bswan72 @ 24 Aug 2009, 15:13) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>Try putting one drop of oil on the bottom of the chassis where the motor armature shaft is inserted into the chassis. Be sure not to use too much oil to prevent the motor brushes from getting oil soaked.

Best regards,
Brian

This usually works for me.

regards

Tony

·
Registered
116 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Well, I've oiled every nook and cranny of these chasses; one is much better, but two others still give off that annoying squeal, though only temporarily now. I tried holding the chassis in place on the track and slowly increased the revs, hoping that would "unhinge" whatever is causing it. The motor sounded strong and would go faster and faster as I gave it more power (no squealing was heard), but once I let go of the chassis, it was much slower than I would have expected and the squeal returned again. Ugh!!

·
Registered
116 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Interesting theory, woodcote, considering my track IS Tyco. I prefer the guide pin as opposed to the blade, so I always flip it over to the pin side anyway. However, even when holding the chassis in my hand and testing it with a 9v battery, it still squeaks (only not as loud). I thought perhaps it might be an issue with the electrical current (perhaps too much for such an older type of chassis), but that doesn't make much sense - even to me!! I vow to get to the bottom of this squeaky situation. Thanks for the suggestion.

·
Premium Member
657 Posts
I am no 'expert' with these, but i have had them apart before.

The only thing that i can think of that could be making a noise other than gears or bearings, is the arm and brushes.

Remove the clip and take the top plate with the arm on the base of the top plate. Make sure that the brushes are not stuck to the base of the arm.
The magnets will stick to the arm.

With very fine emery or scotchbrite, clean up the comm on the arm. It may be pretty black.
Check out the condition of the brushes, they should be around 2-3mm thick.
It may be worth cleaning the brush surface, again with fine emery.
Fitting is the reverse of removal, just be careful when placing the arm back in that the brushes do not get dis-lodged or jammed.

Watch out for the very small springs under the brushes. It is worth doing most of this work in an old tin lid or similar so no parts get lost!!!

Hope this helps.

andy

1 - 9 of 9 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.