SlotForum banner
1 - 20 of 102 Posts

·
Registered
287 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hello Everyone

Earlier in the year I had the grand plan to start a project and see it through to completion, but as usual a combination of time (a total lack of it) and work (far too much of it) got in the way. After the 3rd car was complete for my 1975 F1 grid the project ground to a halt......

......however one project grinding to a halt has happened as another has sprung into life!!!!

So, in my loft I have created a bit more space and started a new MDF routed track. My previous track boards have been recycled (turned over) and some extension pieces added to create a larger surface area. The basic shape is "C" shaped, and my thought was to create as long a 2 lane track as possible.

Having enjoyed reading some "back stories" for people projects I thought I might try my hand at the same, and I was thinking that the track could be one developed on an old airfield site - flat, but trying to create something with a Goodwood / 1950's Silverstone feel (although my passion for all things Le Mans might influence some of the features, like a Dunlop bridge!!!)

Planning and routing has been complete, filling and sanding (of a couple of mistakes and all the tack holes) is on going, so photos of progess and painting the track surface are next on the agenda.

Green Horse Racer

·
Registered
287 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Hello Everyone

Few photos of the work so far......

Firstly the left hand side

the middle section

and the right hand side

Not sure you can see much of the track (so I'll take more photos whilst I'm painting the track!) but I think I have about 18 metres of track length per lane - not bad for a small loft :)

Green Horse Racer

·
Registered
16 Posts
Hey there,

Your loft has the exact same support beams as mine. I've been looking at doing the same as you, but in an L shape. I've a couple of questions if you don't mind answering them:

1. How have you found the visibility of the track with the uprights in the way?
2. What is the width of your table?
3. What thickness MDF have you used for the table?

Thanks

Jim

·
Registered
287 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Hello Everyone

Jim - visibility isn't too bad - this is racing in the loft so not that serious, and not enough of a problem to annoy me. The board width is somewhere between 75 and 85 cm, and the current board thickness I think is about 12mm (although there is plenty of support underneath)

Half term on the horizon so hopefully time to paint the track.....

Green Horse Racer

PS Fleabay Jaguar D type / Merc twin set and a Vanwall purchased and currently waiting to try out the track!

·
Registered
287 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Hello Everyone

Half term is here - and I have had an hour or so to paint the track surface (or at least the first coat!). Photos to follow, but pleased with the initial look.

Off to find images of suitable simple pit buildings / marshall posts etc.

Green Horse Racer

·
Registered
287 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Hello Everyone

Paint has dried and the first track day is taking place......

Green Horse Racing try out the pit straight....

with room for several cars to be worked on in the pit lane (imagine old simple pit buildings here!)

Lola - MG and Lola-Aston Martin leave the pits and head left into the first corner - "Dunlop"

Corvette brakes and flicks left then right into "Goodwood"

Jamie Davies' Audi R8 blasts out of "Goodwood" onto the straight heading towards "Chloe" corner

Slot-it engined Mini speeds out of the "Chloe" corner....

heading into the "Porsche Curves" - Porsche 911 trying them out! (see what I've done there....)

Intersport Lola-MG turns into "Jan"

Morgan Aero 8 heads Porsche 911 through "Farm"

Vanwall slides through the "Esses".....

Lister and Audi power out of "Aintree" corner heading onto the long back straight.....

Dome and TVR power through "Madeleine" heading towards the last two corners, both hairpins

Jag D-type and Mercedes slide through the first hairpin bend - "Bus Stop"....

whilst the Rollcentre Dallara struggles through "Hamlyn" leading onto the pit straight......

.....where several cars are running over the finish line in a rolling start style......

Sorry Moderators and everyone else - lots of pictures, but I am a little excited as my track is starting to take shape :)

Green Horse Racer

·
Registered
287 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Hello Everyone

Inspired by other forum members cardboard buildings I am working on a template for a pits complex (well, a load of simple garages and a podium / office thing) - pictures to follow when I have the glue off my fingers :)

Green Horse Racer

·
Registered
287 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
Hello Everyone

Slow, slow progress (ie. no free time!) but version 2 of my pit building mocked up in paper. In the style of a garage from years ago (and version 1 was rubbish - not worth a photo) - from the front.....

and from the side (well, sort of)

The plan is to have six of these in a row - team names across the top, old style adverts below ......any comments welcome.

Green Horse Racer

·
Registered
1,164 Posts
Green Horse - the track is simply fabulous! Great use of the space and I love the pitboard

·
Registered
287 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
Hello Everyone

Too little time to spare on the track until now, and Father Christmas finally listened to what I would really like so a parcel of copper tape was gratefully received!

Pictures to follow, but first side of inside lane underway - is it just me or does copper tape make a slot track complete :)

Green Horse Raceer

·
Registered
287 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
Hello Everyone

Finally a progress photo or two - progress has been painfully slow, partly through lack of time, partly because there is a lot of copper taping needed per lane (18 metres plus per lane!).....so here is a few cars celebrating the copper tape being complete for the first 18 metres (one side of one lane )

Vanwall, Cooper and Lotus head through Goodwood.....

Jim Clark celebrates the first part of both sides of copper tape being down on the straight between Madeleine corner and the Bus Stop chicane.....

More copper taping to follow when I get a moment or two....

Green Horse Racer

·
Registered
1,164 Posts
At this point, you can use a 9v battery to power the car around the track! Simply touch it to the tape - trust me, it is a good way to have fun for a few minutes after taping!

·
Registered
287 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
Hello Everyone

dreineke - would be a great idea, but the 2nd photo is a little misleading - somehow I have only taken a picture of the metre of so of double sided copper taping - I still have another 17 metres to do to complete the lap :)

I am itching to run a car round the track - maybe sometime this week........I will just have to be patient.

Green Horse Racer

·
Registered
1,164 Posts
1 meter, 18 meters...who cares? Run the car through even that section. I think I did this about a million times LOL!

·
Registered
326 Posts
Starting to look nice.
What size is that copper tape? It looks like a bit bigger then most use? I picked up a bunch of 6mm copper tape recently myself and are hoping it will do fine, but still have not found the time to test it.

·
Registered
326 Posts
Dont be patient. Call in the neighbours, kids, aunts, grandmothers and have a copper taping party damn it! Everybody gets a chocolate bar per meter of laid down copper tape! Hurry!

·
Registered
319 Posts
GHR, will be very interested to see how your Goodwood and Sillystone yearnings manifest themselves. I knocked this Goodwood inspired pit building (cars run in reverse direction sadly) up a few weeks ago for my Micro scaley because i couldn't get the revival meeting out of my system

Good luck with the copper, you are a braver man than I am

http://i15.photobucket.com/albums/a376/LeG.../Goodwood-2.jpg

1 - 20 of 102 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.