SlotForum banner
1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Premium Member
294 Posts
Hi Rob,
Looks like a std Vanwall, Cooper and Porsche, worth a few quid each plus the BRM a few quid more but the question is what version of Ferguson is it? A 3 pole would be worth a bit more but if it is a 4 wheel drive version, the final price was probably about right. I'm not well up on the visual differences between the Ferguson models but I'm sure Phil would be able to shed more light on it.

Mike T

·
Registered
287 Posts
Hi Gentlemen
I am pretty sure that the Novi is a four wheel drive as you can see the front steering plate which was unique to the 4 x 4 cars in fact I would put money on it ( Oh! I did but my £105 snipe was not enough to move to the next increment bid )
john

·
Premium Member
572 Posts
Hi,

To me the Fergi looks to have the type of Ackermann steering as fitted to the 3 pole unit not the 4wd chassis. The BRM looks to be a clubman special with the Slimline motor? The others probably just have the cube motor.

Also I think the price is at the limit for this collection, for me anyway.

Cheers,
Tom.

·
Premium Member
1,130 Posts
I agree with John that the straight front axle plate suggests it's a 4WD. The metal stub axle unit on the early 2WDs had a triangular upper section, and later versions had black plastic front axle units.
Most of the body trim parts are missing, so it's anyone's guess what condition the running gear is in.
Rob J

·
Premium Member
1,130 Posts
Tom: I agree it looks like that, but I think that pic shows the bottom of the steering unit, and the top isn't clear.
On my 2WD Novi, 2WD Merc and several similar loose steering units, the top of the stub-axle bracket is triangular, locating with the tie-rod behind it (and the steering arm for the guide is on the top).
I don't, alas, have a 4WD Novi, but on the similar 4WD Merc the stub-axle brackets are hidden by a plate across the front of the chassis, and the visible parts of the plate are straight, as the car on eBay seemed to have.
Changing the subject, we'll be cheering the men in red on Friday.
New Zealand pub joke:
An Englishman, an Irishman and a South African walked into a bar…
Must have been the Departure Lounge!
Rob J (Irish, but can take a joke)

·
Registered
2,799 Posts
Ey Up,

I agree with those saying it is a 4WD car. Not only by the front top-plate, and the wheels mentioned by Phil, but you can quite easily see the end of the black bearing retainer on the rear axle.

vbr Chris.

ps: top end for this !!.

·
Premium Member
1,130 Posts
Your spotting skills were still good on the other cars, Tom.
I was a little surprised that in the eBay sale no-one seems to have asked the seller any questions, such as "Are they runners?"
Given the state of the Novi body, that would seem important.
Rob J

·
Premium Member
836 Posts
Thanks for the very interesting replies

Looks like we are all of a mind... it's all about the Novi and what you see. How you interpret the photoreconnaisance!

I did look and look and look at the Novi. I thought it was the 4WD based on the bearing cap you can just see on the left rear axle but I would be fascinated to see the underside!

I think the <is it a runner> question was likely to produce the <I dunno> answer as the seller seemed a bit light on detail in his descriptions.

Happy hunting!

Rob

·
Administrator
9,909 Posts
QUOTE (tomwysom @ 18 Oct 2011, 18:53) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>Oh and Robin I just noticed your joke, nice one! I'm still a bit peeved but looking forward to Friday.
Cheers!

And you're right to be Tom - I was actually rooting for Wales in the last half, even tho I'm generally a big fan of the French team...

Sorry to hijack your thread Rob; I don't think I noticed this one, although I'm usually pretty proud of my photoreconnaissance skills! Have managed to find a few nice cars/motors that way, but I got my 4WD Novi the good old fashioned way... great looking car and I was actually going to run it in a vintage race, but one of the u-joints gave way during practice laps - luckily according to several friends! The car is fast, but handling needs work...

I did run the Airfix 2WD version in a vintage race many years ago, and it was actually running second or third a couple laps from the end, when one of the wheels fell off! Just like a real Novi (except in that case it was usually the 800hp engine)...

Don

·
Premium Member
1,130 Posts
Quoting: <<I think the <is it a runner> question was likely to produce the <I dunno> answer as the seller seemed a bit light on detail in his descriptions.>>

I admit you'd be right on that, Rob. The cars did look like one of those batches dug out of storage after not being used for decades, often by someone who doesn't have a working track.
Rob J

1 - 17 of 17 Posts