SlotForum banner

1 - 20 of 22 Posts

·
Registered
304 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
The Airfix Ferrari 250lm seems a popular kit for conversion to a slot car. Here is one I've done, lets see yours.

Cheers Cabb77

·
Peter Seager-Thomas
1,214 Posts
Almost but not quite built around an Airfix 'kit', this one was built over 30 years ago using an Aifix body kit together with other parts and held together by the crudest chassis I have ever made. It ran a treat, and no doubt still would if I put some decent tyres on it.

Peter.

·
Kitbasher
4,250 Posts
I built this for the Bordeaux 2010 meeting when the theme was the 'Tour de France'.
I was really pleased with it until I saw Derek Cooper's version based upon the monogram shell his was much nicer although I got a couple of the details correct like LHD, spare wheel offset not central on the boot
!
Both Derek's and mine benefited from some excellent decals by Phil Smith.

Still, it went very well and managed about 17th in concours if I remember...
All parts are pre 1972 for Bordo' so monogram chassis, russkit 23 motor, cox gear, revell wheels, monogram inserts.

If I did it again I would use the monogram shell which is much more accurate and I would try to make a better job of the detail stuff, this one is quite messy (the black lines around the TDF plates are intentionally a bit messy, they replicate the black tape used to hold them in place on the 1:1 car).

·
Premium Member
1,130 Posts
Good to see these are still popular. Some great builds there.
I did one back in the early '70s, a simple one with a Riko Competition chassis and FT16 motor. Most of us weren't bothered much about deep cockpits then.
At some stage I dismantled it and the body has disappeared.
I have another unused static kit, no. M205C, and this thread tempts me to build one again, but instead I'd better deal with too many other unfinished projects.
There have been at least two Airfix slot versions of the 250LM. They or their bodies would be easier to work with. They don't have the full cockpit parts but those are fairly basic.
The main flaw in the Airfix shape is that the roofline is too high, but the other scale dimensions are said to be accurate.
Rob J

·
Registered
1,346 Posts
Great to see so many good 250 LM's around, in the mid 60's i built a few of these one was based on the Ronnie Hoare car red/blue and had a double pole M.R.R.C 3 pole in with a steering unit, one was a David Piper car with a Kempton Hornet can with a Riko chassis, and the other one was a works one with a Rickoflash and a home built fallaway chassis looking at these pictures i wish i had them now sorry no pictures from this era have been kept, but after seeing these i will have to do one again as i have a large box of bits which includes a couple of chassis which look to have the right wheel base and a couple of Mura gp12's to go in them i have a friend in the states who i have asked to see if he can find Monogram bodies will let you know of the outcome regards Keith.

·
Registered
218 Posts

Unfortunately the paintwork is a bit rough,but the car wasn't too bad,I entered this in the 2010 IPS,it ran with a ALFA33 chassis from SlotIt.

Terry

·
Premium Member
3,013 Posts
Well Graham, a departure from Astons?

Still it looks good, maybe a kit on the cards with this one?

Simon

·
Registered
249 Posts
Hello Graham,
Which modifications did you make to that body?
Somehow it looks different in proportions to the other ones.
Best regards,
Thomas

·
Registered
2,223 Posts
All manner of modifications really Thomas. The Airfix shell is nowhere near the shape that it should be. so i've added filler to pretty much every panel apart from the front of the roof, which oddly is about the right height. Front and rear wings are modified as are both the rear deck and the front bonnet areas. The front and rear valances were also changed. It makes me wonder just which drawings Airfix used for the original model. To say it's poor is an understatement.

Graham.

·
Registered
365 Posts
1 - 20 of 22 Posts