SlotForum banner
21 - 40 of 67 Posts

·
Graham Windle
4,445 Posts
Using the single x over is a great idea when driving by your self I did it last year on my lay out it increased the lap to 63 ft and made use of both lanes .,much more fun .

·
Registered
8,129 Posts
Eugen Bohringer on the 1965 Monte nicely recreated in 1:40th scale. Lovely. Thanks for the vid, Keith.

·
Premium Member
2,620 Posts
Discussion Starter · #24 ·
One advantage of using Airfix track is how easy it is swop track pieces in and out as you don't need to lift the track to release tabs.

All the cars run so far are running on either their original tyres or NOS replacements. If I have anything non standard I will include in the cars details in the videos.

·
Premium Member
2,620 Posts
Discussion Starter · #25 ·
A few Mini Cooper cars on the Monte Carlo Rally layout

Again all on original or ONS tyres, although the Red #8 Airfix Mini is running on Jouef tyres.

Although I've listed the Artin Minis as 1/43rd scale they are almost the same size as the Airfix cars.

Now just for a little bit of fun, through the vintage magic tunnel.. (Alfe warning contains flickering)

·
Graham Windle
4,445 Posts
They run well Keith . I have recently put my Airfix mins on to Ortman rears only problem they are a little slack on the rims so need gluing to keep them in place .

·
Registered
155 Posts
I always liked that set and sold all my Airfix accumulation many years back on ebay, including the cardboard mountain pack and lots of custom-built cars. Monte Carlo was a very innovative set and a good twisty track that didn't take up a great amount of space. I reckon if a manufacturer marketed something similar today it would sell well.

·
ParrotGod
8,233 Posts
I am not a big fan of vintage slotcars (mostly because they look horrid when compared to model railroad of the same period) but I have to say that this set is an exception.

·
Premium Member
2,620 Posts
Cheers all.

I'm still looking for a good fit for the Mini but luckily have some ONS which work well, but they do need proper storage as humidity is the death of these old tyres.. My normal source of tyre, no longer available, had the same problem. The original Scalextric Mini tyres do fit but arte a bit wide, sanding the edge of urethanes might work. Jouef Mini tyres also fit but don't know where to get these now. As with most of the Airfix cars half the battle to get them to run well is having a good set of braids.

Minis work very well on the Monte Carlo layout being narrow and short the handle the R1 curves better than a lot of bigger cars.

·
Premium Member
2,620 Posts
Discussion Starter · #31 ·
While I was filming the Mini Coopers I also did the New Mini Cooper..

All the Carrera Go!!! cars are sharing the same set of rear tyres and running at 9 volts with a 60Ω controller. The Chad Valley is running at 6 volts with a 30Ω controller. I had to take it very easy with the Chad Valley Mini as it is a bit unstable as I have fitted it with a guide flag, as an experiment, but it is a standard 1/32nd guide and the front of the car a bit high.

·
ParrotGod
8,233 Posts
I notice this also with the other Minis; when the get to the S-es after the crossover they seem to stall.

Are they loosing traction? Or are you braking too much?

·
Premium Member
2,620 Posts
Discussion Starter · #33 ·
The steepest part of the climb is from the crossover up to the middle of the 90 hairpin at the front of the track with quite a level change here. A lot of cars struggle with this bit in both lanes, take the inner lanes to slow and the cars rub on the barrier and it can stall the car. Go to fast and the cars with fixed braids swing to far and stall. It happens on both the inner bends of the outer lane and with the inner bend of the inner lane. On the inside of the front hairpin level change if the cars have short braids they can even lose contact.

·
Premium Member
2,620 Posts
Discussion Starter · #34 ·
Sitting in a few boxes I have a reasonable collection of 'cars that work but need attention' and ' not running' and I decided that doing these little films would be a good reason to finally see if I can get these cars fixed. I had eight Mini Coopers in these conditions, some just needed new tyres or braids, some just a bit of soldering while others needed new wheels or even new motors.

So here is the final Mini Cooper video featuring the repaired cars.

So how do Mini Coopers handle on the Monte Carlo.

Airfix Standard : these are the cars the set was designed for and have a low C of G and handle well.

Airfix Hi-Speed : these still handle well which I think is helped by the steel cover plate under the motor keeping the C of G low.

MRRC : these use can motors and two different inserts for either a motor with a large or small bearing on the can end. These cars are to the normal Airfix Hi-Speed layout. Because of this the cars are lighter and top heavy so a bit unstable.

Scalextric Rally : this car uses the Rx motor which adds weight to the car and it'sd not to bad.

Scalextric front wheel drive : not enough grip to get up the track.

Carrera Go : these need I run at 9V and the handle ok.

Artin / Chad Valley : all run at 6V,the Mini Coopers are well over scale but a bit unstable due to their light weigh and narrow track. I won't include the New Mini as it has been fitted with a guide flag.

Jouef : The cars handle ok but the red Mini in the video had to be fitted with over size read wheels and tyres and doesn't handle as well. This is probably the only car that is correct for this track as it has the four additional front lights

Vehicle Motor vehicle Car Automotive design Van

SRM : this car, which I think is one of the best look Mini models, hands very well.

It's interesting that the two best handling models are also probably the most scale accurate as well.

Attachments

·
ParrotGod
8,233 Posts
I did not know that MRRC made minis.

The 1/40 scale cars look really neat on the track.

·
Administrator
10,131 Posts
MRRC were part of airfix at one point, so many of the cars that were airfix you could later get MRRC versions. Mini, Cortina, Ford 3L and others. The later MRRC cars had nothing to do with Airfix so there were no "model" equivalents.

Car Motor vehicle Tire Automotive lighting Vehicle

Attachments

·
Premium Member
2,620 Posts
The White and Olive both came in the same case as shown by RikoRocket above. They both have Airfix/MRRC outer cardboard sleeves but these have been over stamped with MRRC Bournemouth details. One case has the gold sticker as above and Airfix has been scribbled out on this. The red car I have assumed is MRRC as it uses as it uses the same style, but different, motor and insert.

This is the underside of the original Airfix Mini.

Toy Automotive lighting Motor vehicle Automotive exterior Automotive design

The Airfix Hi-Speed version, this has Airfix moulded on the insert between steering unit and motor.

Gas Auto part Electric blue Fashion accessory Rectangle

The MRRC version with no marking on the insert.

Automotive lighting Vehicle Motor vehicle Bumper Automotive design

And the 'assumed' MRRC car.

Automotive lighting Toy Motor vehicle Tin Gas

There is also more than one body moulding

This is an original Mini fitted with bumpers, which as far as I can tell are the same mounting points as the model kit as is the upper body shell with the slot car chassis replacing the kits underpan and front and rear valances. The number plate bracket is part of the bumper which is why it's not seen on any of the other cars and is a different moulding to that in the model kit.

Vehicle Automotive lighting Hood Motor vehicle Car

but there is also an original Mini without the front and rear bumper mounting holes.

Automotive parking light Car Vehicle Automotive tail & brake light Automotive lighting

When Airfix changed to the Hi-Speed model the only change made to the body was to add a small front valance, the rear valance and side sills are missing so the body is shorter at the back and sides. The read bumper holes are still there as are the front ones but these are blocked off to become a recess.

Automotive parking light Vehicle Vehicle registration plate Grille Motor vehicle

However as this Monte Carlo car shows they also did the new body without any bumper mounting points front or rear.

Automotive parking light Vehicle Vehicle registration plate Grille Motor vehicle

The MRRC cars have the same body shell as the Hi-Speed version with bumper holes as above.

Attachments

·
Premium Member
2,620 Posts
Discussion Starter · #39 ·
A correction to the above posting as I have just been doing repairs to a Mini that I missed, The red car from my Monte Carlo Rally set. This needed the guide replacing as the previous owner had soldered the motor wires to the braids and in so doing 'soldered' everything to the guide. I have a few packs of Airfix Motor Racing Mini Cooper HHii-Speed Chromed Axle assemblies. On opening one of the up I found two things the most important of which is that these packs are designed for use with the can motor cars so the red 'MRRC' is probably an Airfix car and not MRRC. This set also include the 'new SP002 tyres' which are a different profile and much softer compound than the original Mini tyres. Looking at my other Hi-Speed axle sets they have the standard Mini tyres. Going by the axle set part number these were available from at least 1968 with the SP 002 tyres.

The first catalogue to mention new slot guides is the 4th edition, which dates from late 1966 or 1967, with the 1968 catalogue being the first to list the cars with new Hi-Speed motors and this includes the Mini. So the question is does the Mini with the open motor and guide date from about 1966, and not a Hi-Speed model, with the can motor being the Hi-Speed car?

·
ParrotGod
8,233 Posts
Thanks for showing these models Riko. Also I learned what MRRC stands for...I did not know.

I have to say that for being cars of the late 60s they look the part. Much better than the polistil I got in the early 80s.

21 - 40 of 67 Posts