SlotForum banner
41 - 60 of 67 Posts

·
Premium Member
2,620 Posts
Discussion Starter · #41 ·
Another 'little' movie, my E-Type Jaguar cars this time. Nine from the sixties and 3 modern cars. I choose the E-Type for this video as I thought most of the cars ran ok, big error but I got twelve running and ended up with one non-runner. Work ranged from playing with the braids, adjusting guides to finding tyres, changing motors and even changing rear axles. I'll post some details in a follow up.

·
Premium Member
2,620 Posts
Discussion Starter · #44 ·
Hi Laurence, You do need to get the tails moving on the 1/32nd scale cars. The Monte is fine for small cars like the Mini and the 1/40th and 1/43rd scale cars but the long cars need a bit of speed to get around the inner lane on the R1s and as they are nearly all 90° they like catching the barriers.

·
*** Leo A Capaldi ***
3,629 Posts
The Monte-Carlo layout works well with the single cross-over section.

Nice bunch of Jaguars, did not know that Cartronic did an FHC version, will check them out.

Leo

·
Registered
15 Posts
Really nice post with videos ect. I have been after a Monte Carlo set for years but not been able to find the right one for the right price. It would be great if someone produced the cardboard supports in the right size for classic scalextric!

·
Registered
4 Posts
Hi. Would it be possible to trace the mountain sections ?. I would like to do the mountains in plywood & use Scalextric track . I will pay you for traceing..
cheers Martin

·
Administrator
10,131 Posts
Are not the bend radii different between Airfix and Scalextric? I doubt that the template would work, it would be a mathematical challenge to come up with the equivalent...

·
Premium Member
2,620 Posts
As RikoRocket said the scenery supports will only work for Airfix track.

Organ Font Line Newspaper Parallel

As you can see from above all the parts, bar one, support the track in 2 places so as already said you could only use Airfix track.

If it helps, for anyone wanting to design their own supports, the track heights are as follows.

Using the top diagram

Support A-B is 90mm at the front and 80 mm at the rear.

Support B-C is 110mm on the left and 160mm on the right.

Support D-C is 150mm at the front and 180mm at the rear.

Support A-D is 200mm on the left and 240mm on the right (this side only sits under the track).

The support behind D-C with the tunnel is 150mm for the tunnel and 230mm for the top.

The separate cross supports has heights of 290mm at the front, 290 on the right and 255 at the rear, the left side does not support the track.

in order they are 90mm, 110mm, 150mm, 160mm, 180mm, 200mm, 230mm, 240mm, 290mm, 290mm, 255mm, 150mm and 80mm.

As you can see apart from one piece all the pieces support the track in two places. If I was going to convert this to a different track system I would probably make each track support a separate piece and glue or screw them together with support blocks at each intersection as this would make it easier to position each piece as required. The only piece that would need to stay more or less as is is the tunnel support.

I did show some other track layout ideas [post='2422127']here[/post]

Attachments

·
Premium Member
2,620 Posts
Discussion Starter · #51 ·
Another little video or three,

my just finished Airfix Auto Union C type...

Some more E-Type Jaguars, all Scalextric this time

And a couple of Carrera Evolution cars

Forum only wants to give a link for the last one for some reason.

·
Registered
8,129 Posts
Marvellous, Keith. Thanks for the vids. I especially enjoyed the Auto-Union. Goes well, looks fab. Nice cars in the paddock, too.

·
*** Leo A Capaldi ***
3,629 Posts
The Mille Miglia clip reminds me of my cousins' Airfix layout where they had stuck some electrical insulation tape on an uphill section to get grip. I'm talking about the original insulating tape made of fabric with a bitumen-ish coating.

Leo

·
Premium Member
2,620 Posts
Discussion Starter · #54 ·
Laurence, the Auto Union was a bit of a surprise, when I tested the build with a 9v battery it was running very slowly and I thought I might have to change the motor and the lap times around the Monte are on par with most of the newer cars. Having said that lap times on the Monte are determined more by grip than speed and how well the car gets around the front part of the climb or not in the case of the Carrera cars. One thing I hadn't noticed is that the rear tyres on the Auto union, going by their flat and slick profile, appear to be SP02 tyres. The wheel set I used was an early plain yellow plastic one so should have the original rounded and treaded profile tyres, which the front ones are, and the packet didn't appear to have been opened at any point. The SP02 tyres are quite a soft compound but these tyres are starting to go a bit hard, hence some of the realistic tail slides.

The Scalextric E-Types are all brand new and not run-in yet, but I was surprised by the grip as Scalextric tyres don't normally work that well on the Airfix track with no magnetic downforce. The First Win box set was a birthday present from the wife and brings my number of Scalextric E-Types to six now. They all ran straight out the box and I just gave the rear axle and gears a bit of oil, but the blue Graham Hill car is running a little ruff and noisy.

Scalextric have made an attempt to represent each driver and it looks like the have the helmet colours correct,

Wheel Tire Vehicle Car Hood

Tire Wheel Car Vehicle Hood

Wheel Tire Vehicle Car Hood

Although all the photos I can find on line show that they should all be wearing Bell helmets and Bob Janes overalls should probable a light colour.

The Carrera Evolution cars are really struggling on there tyres, very little grip as can be seen, but as these are the only two Evolution cars I have I can't compare them to anything else so I can only assume it's a magnet thing again. Did try the DB3 on a poorly fitting set of urethanes and the grip was much better so looks like even more tyres needed.

Attachments

·
Premium Member
2,620 Posts
Discussion Starter · #57 ·
This is for Laurence...

I still need to do a bit of work on the steering unit as it's a bit loose but I have a feeling it's mainly due to with way the original builder put it together. Also the motor is to strong for the Monte, don't know what it is but it needs a 10 ohm controller, and it's quite easy to de-slot the car just about anywhere on the track. It took me quite a few attempts to string those five double laps together.

·
Premium Member
2,620 Posts
Discussion Starter · #59 ·
After 5 months the Monte is dead.:cry:

It's been 5 months of fun but to be honest the Monte isn't really suited to the bigger and faster cars. It's great for smaller cars, the Minis that come in the set and other smaller 50s and 60s type cars. The bigger cars don't run well on the tight turns and with the faster cars all I'm doing is killing my controllers as all the running time is spent on part throttle and that doesn't help with keeping the controllers cool. It's also not the easiest track to keep covered and clean.

There's still a few videos to post so this isn't completely dead yet and details of the new track will appear soon.

·
Registered
8,129 Posts
Many thanks for the 906 vid, Keith. A great pleasure. A pity the Monte track is dead. Its elegance, simplicity, scenery and layout are all charming. Most enjoyable and thank you.

41 - 60 of 67 Posts