SlotForum banner
1 - 20 of 51 Posts

·
Registered
1,185 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Back in about 1980 I bought this dark green Airfix Ford F3L with its steering front end and 16D motor. It always ran quite well, but, over the years, the rear wheels had gone missing and the motor mount had broken. I thought about trying to repair it, but it had never been a show car even when it was new, so I decided to re-chassis it.

The new chassis is a Scalextric BMW Mini chassis, shortened by a lot - the Ford is a very small car (unless you allow NSR to modify it....). The wheels are the original Mini wheels from the donor car, reversed and ground out and home-made inserts fitted. The original Mini lights didn't fit very well so I took advice from an electronics-savvy friend and made some new ones using PCB, LEDs and resistors from the internet.

As a tribute to the original Airfix car, I painted and decalled it as the Bruce McLaren/Mike Spence car which led the opening laps of the 1968 BOAC 500 at Brands Hatch. I'm pleased with how it turned out.

It handles very nicely with the standard Scalextric magnet and tyres from the donor Mini, despite the narrow track and short wheelbase.

Attachments

·
Administrator
10,133 Posts
Like that! My picture is that same car, just with the slimline chassis. Looks much better with a driver in rather than a head...
thumbsup.gif

·
Registered
145 Posts
I saw this thread and realised I have something similar bought in an ebay scrapyard many years ago. It is a just a body top and glazing with a production RTR finish. Is it the airfix MRRC version or the scalextric?

If I buy the an airfix kit might the headlights and engine detail fit? Could I use the kit wheels cut down for inserts? I've tried it on a PCS chassis which it fits but leaves little room for an interior.

Any advice appreciated. I've seen it in a different light now I've seen this thread.

Toy Car Automotive design Automotive lighting Bumper

Vehicle Car Automotive design Font Sports car

Automotive lighting Toy Automotive design Vehicle Motor vehicle

Attachments

·
Registered
1,185 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Frogeye - that she'll of yours definitely looks worth building up. You may not need a new static kit. I had to replace the original front lights on mine because they were fogged with glue and anyway didn't fit well. I used thin plastic from packaging - it's so thin you can't see it in the pictures! The engine is pretty much hidden by the roof, so I kept the rather crude detail from the RTR kit. I think the static kit is the same. My wheel inserts are copies from the old Scalextric Porsche 956 which I cast using plasticine moulds and 5-minute epoxy glue. It's easy to do, although you need a lot of patience to scrape all the plasticine off the finished inserts! The 5-spoke wheels are pretty much like Porsche 908 or 917 wheels anyway. I only copied the 956 inserts because they fitted my shallow Mini wheels better. The wide stripe was a challenge but in the end I sprayed clear decal material with gold paint and made a second decal to form the red pinstripes each side of the main gold.

Steve - my original RTR car came with a 16D motor like Cox, but the shell is very low, so the only interior was a driver's head with a flat top to his helmet. There's no room for any shoulders or steering wheel unless you form the tray around the motor. You'd have the same or a worse problem with a Cox chassis. It's also a very short wheelbase - probably no shorter than a Cheetah, but a Cox Ford GT chassis would be too long.

I look forward to seeing these proposed models, anyway!

Mike

·
Registered
145 Posts
Thanks 42redcat. Yes I thought the shell was worth a shot particularly as it's been in the bottom of a scraps box for about ten years. I'm thinking to leave the original finish rather than a respray. Just adding decals. Noted the pinstripe tip on your car.

Was this a kit with a finished RTR bodyshell or a finished car like the Eagle Westlakes I've seen? Unfortunately I have nothing other than the top shell and windscreen and I have none of the Porsche cars you mention (sad state of affairs I need to rectify) to cast inserts from so I might look for a cheap kit anyway.

Thanks again for the help

·
Registered
1,185 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
I was searching for some of my old diecasts recently and came across this. Apologies that its not a slot car, but it was the inspiration for the main topic of this post and I had no idea what I'd done with it!

I built it from a standard Airfix kit, probably on the 1970s. I'm not at all sure I still possess the skills I had then. It's all brush-painted, too, including the racing numbers, as I couldn't find or afford spray paints or decals.

Attachments

·
Registered
8,411 Posts
I've greatly admired this stunningly beautiful car from its inception, and have always felt that, had it been developed with a credible budget, and a well sorted BRM or Weslake V12, it might just have given the 917s and 512s a run for their money.

Hindsight, however, eh?

·
Registered
889 Posts
Me doth think it's blurred vision, Weslake V12 eh, don't think the Gulf racing mechanics trying to get the M6 long-tail car running at the 1974 Le Mans test day thought it was a good idea.

·
Administrator
4,887 Posts
I was searching for some of my old diecasts recently and came across this. Apologies that its not a slot car, but it was the inspiration for the main topic of this post and I had no idea what I'd done with it!

I built it from a standard Airfix kit, probably on the 1970s. I'm not at all sure I still possess the skills I had then. It's all brush-painted, too, including the racing numbers, as I couldn't find or afford spray paints or decals.
I love the extra detailing you have done to the original kit, did you scratchbuild the Cosworth DFV?

David

·
Registered
1,185 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
I love the extra detailing you have done to the original kit, did you scratchbuild the Cosworth DFV?

David
Yes -it's made from plasticard and other plastic bits and pieces including the sprues from plastic kits. The exhaust is insulated electrical wire bent to fit. I guess I must have had some reference photos, or maybe the other details were just guesswork!

I also found a strange freelance Group 6 prototype with a flat-12 engine which I made about the same time, which hadn't survived storage so well.

Thanks for the interest. Mike

·
Administrator
4,887 Posts
Mike

I know your car with the engine detail is a static kit but pictures and descriptions of scratchbuilding are relevant to slot car building as well. It's always nice to see the ingenuity that goes into these, I love the hand painted FORD lettering on the engine cam covers.

A good few years ago there was a thread on this forum about the Ford 3-litre P68 and quite a few modified and scratchbuilt slot cars were posted, there was even talk of a race just for them. I had a search yesterday but couldn't find the thread. This was my car that I built a good few years ago.

Car Vehicle Wheel Tire Automotive design

Digital camera Reflex camera Camera lens Camera accessory Camera

David

Attachments

·
Registered
8,411 Posts
Glad to have seen this marvellous thread. It's given me a kick to do something about the heap below, most kindly donated by a chum after an overdue junk-sorting session.

Not sure yet of the best method to denude the shell of silver paint and transfers. Any suggestions, please?

Slot cars. Never-ending, eh?

Attachments

·
Administrator
4,887 Posts
Put the body in a bath of caustic soda, that silver paint and the decals will come off in a matter of minutes.

David

1 - 20 of 51 Posts