SlotForum banner
1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
*** Leo A Capaldi ***
3,653 Posts
Thanks once again Bernard.
Interest on this one:
I have never seen one of thos Ferraris before;
Am wondering if the rear axle/motor mount is the same size and fit as the ones used by Scalextric in some of their cars ??

Kind regards, Leo

·
Administrator
10,174 Posts
The clip to axle distance is slightly smaller but they are close enough to work after a fashion

They did two variants of the ferrari, this is the RTR one, the other was a clubman kit, same body different interior with a bit more depth for the driver and detail of seats.

·
Peter Seager-Thomas
1,219 Posts
QUOTE (RikoRocket @ 15 May 2012, 15:26) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>They did two variants of the ferrari, this is the RTR one, the other was a clubman kit, same body different interior with a bit more depth for the driver and detail of seats.

Don't forget the third, the ballrace Clubman Special, fastest (and heaviest) of the lot.

Peter.

·
Premium Member
1,130 Posts
Another good one, Bernard.
Is that an FT16 motor, and were they fitted to all the RTR sports/GT cars? All my Airfixes with can motors have 13UO-sized Johnson 111s, both the mid-late-1960s and circa-1980 types. However, all mine with cans are single-seaters, apart from the same Porsche and Ferrari built with static kit bodies and Riko kit chassis. The J111 motor-axle brackets on the older single-seaters are smaller than the Scalextric FT16 ones in all dimensions.

On the open-frame motors, as I understand it, Airfix used the term Clubman Special for cars with both the Slimline and Ballrace motors. The box for my Eagle kit with a Slimline motor certainly carries the name Clubman Special. "Clubman" is just an abbreviation. The MRRC 4WDs were also Clubman Specials once they became marketed as Airfix-MRRC kits.
Much earlier, VIP named its higher-performance cars Club Specials.
Rob J

·
*** Leo A Capaldi ***
3,653 Posts
Thanks for those shots Bernard - appreciated.
Thanks RobJ, I now undersand, there is a car on Ebay just now described as "Clubman Special" but is has the non-ball-race motor.
So its a case of being careful to get the ball-race motor verion.

Leo

·
Premium Member
1,130 Posts
Leo: Yes. That's right. "Clubman Special" doesn't tell you whether it has the Slimline or Ballrace motor.
As shown in Bernard's latest photos, besides the better motor the Ballrace cars have better gears (metal bevels), guide, steering unit and (at least originally) tyres, though they are heavier.
Rob J

PS: I don't know if the 2WD Ballrace cars were sold in kit form. Perhaps someone more knowledgeable than me can say. I have just one, the Matra, and I'm fairly sure I bought it as an RTR (about 40 years ago).

1 - 10 of 10 Posts