SlotForum banner
1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Premium Member
8,228 Posts
I recently got an Airfix Clubman Special Honda 67.V12 from Phil Smith.
I`ve just had it on the track with my Scaley c36 Honda.

Surprisingly the Scaley version is a lot bigger the Airfix car. Speeds are very similar, however the Scaley car does feel smoother to drive.
Both are very good looking models with impressive chrome work!.(Airfix version has red stripe)

But, whilst they aren`t as pretty the little VIP Hondas are so much faster....

Cheers
Kev

·
Administrator
9,909 Posts
Yep, I'm a little surprised too Kev! And I think the VIP looks better than either of the others...

How about a naked shot showing the chassis? Especially the MRRC/Airfix to see which version it used...

Don

·
Premium Member
8,228 Posts
Yeah, the VIPs are nice & simple. I`m terrified of snapping the chrome on the other cars.
Here`s a pic of the underside Don. One thing I would say performance wise. Airfix recommend the use of a tuned throttle & the Scaley car is a Race Tuned car. I couldn`t be bothered to plug in a Scaley Race Tuned throttle.
Cheers,
Kev.

Airfix, VIP, Scalextric.

·
Premium Member
1,130 Posts
I have the same three (well, four) Hondas and yes, the Airfix with the Slimline motor is not as smooth as the Scalex. The wider track and fat tyres help the Scalex, but also the Slimline motor is less cuddly than the old RX. I found the Slimlines were smoother and went better with the controller's "dynamic braking" switched off or disconnected. (In one of my old track wiring set-ups I had a brake switch on each lane.) And it's worthwhile keeping an eye on the rear axle alignment and gear mesh.
Much as I love VIPs, I'm slightly surprised too that they're faster, Kev. What rating of controllers were you using? I forget what Airfix recommended but I've probably generally used a 15 ohm controller for the Slimlines. They'd be sluggish on anything much higher.
The "chrome" on the V12s is fairly sturdy, except for the Scalex intake trumpets. I lost two (and replaced them with something that looks OK at speed). The Airfix's are protected by that wierd bar, perhaps meant to be an upper suspension arm, which I recently cut off mine in a revamp that is now stalled and back in a cupboard.
Rob J

·
Premium Member
8,228 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Hi Rob.
For standard cars I usually use the old standard Scaley throttles.
I use the old black Scaley Race Tuned throttles for the performance cars.
However, I couldn`t be bothered to swap throttles when I tried the cars, so that could mean poorer performance?
Cheers
Kev.

·
Premium Member
1,130 Posts
Hi, Kev. Have a go on both V12s with the RT controllers. From memory, they're 25 ohm.
The old standard Scalex controllers, again from memory, were up in the 30s and the Airfix Slimline in particular would be slow to respond.
Rob J

·
Administrator
9,909 Posts
... but at full throttle the controller wouldn't matter, and that motor should be a lot faster than either of the others...

Kev, we're filing a claim, and we want a video and certified lap times...

Cheers
Don

PS: Derek Cooper has some good hints on those Airfix/MRRC slimline chassis - they can be made to run very well...

·
Premium Member
8,228 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Aye, the standard old Scaleys were 35ohm....
Can`t do vids Don...I`m a spanner at owt like that.
Speaking of Derek Cooper....he`s just made me an Airfix Sunbeam Rapier & put it on some Airfix chassis..I`ll take pics when it arrives!

Cheers,
Kev

·
Premium Member
1,130 Posts
I don't use full throttle all the way through a corner, Don. Nor do you, I'm sure. Perhaps I should have said that with a 35 ohm controller the Slimline would be slower to respond than it would with a 15 (or 25).
Rob J

·
Administrator
9,909 Posts
Why, yes I do Rob... think that's why I come off all the time?

Seriously, I thought Kev was just referring to top speed of the cars, which is why I was trying to eliminate the controller factor.

You're right of course about sensitivity. If I remember right, the Slimline was happy about 15 ohms, and the VIP and Scalex at 25 or more...

Don

·
Premium Member
8,228 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
Hi lads.
Just been in the garage & plugged in a Scaley Race Tuned throttle. Performance of the Airfix & Scaley cars was a lot better...I thiink the Airfix car was marginally quicker..
Cheers
Kev

·
Premium Member
1,130 Posts
The Airfix grand prix cars are among the best of the 1960s RTR and kit single-seaters to do up as models of the real thing. Except for being too simple around the backside and being a little high, they can look the part alongside modern models like the Scalextrics.
As Kev said, the Scalex is smoother to drive. It also has much better detail at the rear end. It's not in 1/32 scale, however.
Anyway, I built an Airfix Clubman Special Honda from a kit in the early 1970s and recently revamped it with splashes of paint, new race numbers, Honda markings (from Patto's RA272 w'slide) and stripes from a sheet and roll about as old as the model, to make it roughly like the RA273 Surtees drove to third place in the 1967 South African GP.
I've since had moments of nostalgia for the almost plain white little slot-car that it was in its 1970s racing days, but 'tis done now.

I removed the annoying rod outside each bank of intakes and used paper clips to give a semblance of upper and lower radius arms. There may have been lower radius arms in the kit but, if there were, I didn't fit them originally and they've disappeared.
I thought of cutting out the cockpit to lower the driver, but calculated I'd gain little more than 1mm above the Slimline motor, so I ground down the shoulders slightly and broadened them with a putty, then fitted a larger head, probably one of Munter's.
The front tyres are smaller diameter than standard; not pretty or authentic but that lowers the pickup and it stays in the slot more often.
For any anoraks reading, as far as I can tell from photos, the RA273 had a plain white nose in 1966 but red when Surtees drove it early in 1967.
Rob J

·
Registered
3,646 Posts
I dont really understand what your comparing Kev, the looks, the scale, the handling or the speeds. if its only speed and handling a better motor and tyres would sort it out. I didn,t think you actually raced the museam cars but went for all original pieces. personally I love the old steering mrrc cars, but I race mine and they,ve all had surgery, motors and tyres, no mag and their suprisingly good. john

·
Premium Member
5,504 Posts
Shame the pictures disappeared Kev.

Would have loved to see them.
I just acquired a few more VIP Honda's with one having narrow tires and metal Ackerman steering.
After Googling VIP Honda I found this thread

Still need to get some reasonable priced C36 Scaleys one day.

Rob nice job on that Honda it looks great

1 - 16 of 16 Posts