SlotForum banner
1 - 12 of 12 Posts

· Registered
694 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I was born in the late 70's, my memory of Alan Jones was in the v8's with his Peter Jackson EB Falcon and his mediocre performances in the v8s.

I ve just watched some early F1 stuff and Alan Jones was one of the best in the world. He was unlucky not to repeat as F1 world champ in 1981 but then decided to retire.

In 1983 Ferrari offered him a F1 drive but not giving them a timely reply, he was replaced. This was his biggest regret.

I would like to know more about Alan Jones and ppl opinion on him in his peak..

· Registered
1,736 Posts
Alan Jones was a great no nonsense racing driver in the same manner of Nigel Mansell a few years later.

His reticence about signing for Ferrari was perhaps his greatest mistake. In 1983 drivers Patrick Tambay & Rene Arnoux both had successful seasons and earned the team a richly deserved Constructors Cup.

However neither could provide a season long title challenge! Jones would have almost certainly have had the combination of speed and consistency.

Reactions: longdog and r377

· Premium Member
3,077 Posts
I was at the 1981 British GP and I sat in Alan Jones’ car before the race! I was in the paddock and I asked and the Williams team said “go ahead”. It was a bit of a tight fit as I am 6’2” but Alan Jones was shorter and (I thought) fairly tubby for an F1 driver but he was a really nice bloke. Unfortunately, he retired during the race, (nothing to do with me though!), but IIRC there were a lot of retirements that year.

Reactions: Trisha and HiFi

· Registered
4,770 Posts
The driver that started me following Williams.

In the Garage after the 81 GP

Tire Wheel Automotive tire Vehicle Motor vehicle

8 finisher, 2 on on same lap, and 11 classified out of 24 starters. Still remember the big cheer when certain red car let go of it's turbo. A home, GB, win for John Watson.

On his way to winning the previous year at Brand Hatch.

Tire Plant Vehicle Automotive tire Wheel

· Registered
17,176 Posts
Have things improved, Keith? Good question. I don't know the answer. Some things have gone for good that I don't miss. F1 today is run by too many committees, and critics of Bernie can write or say what the hell they want, but he wouldn't have tolerated last weekend's fiasco, for sure.

1 - 12 of 12 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.